Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2 years later: Polaris Hype vs. Actual - Is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 years later: Polaris Hype vs. Actual - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by travelinmanS

DL has direct aisle access on all their biz flights, D1 suites or old configurations. This is miles better than United with their jive turkey 2-4-2 business class. Also their current 787s apparently won’t get the new seats and will continue to be 2-2-2 in biz. UA simply isn’t competitive on the flights I take (ex-PVG). If I’m flying to LAX I have 4 choices of which UA is the worst. To SFO I have 2 choices of which UA is the worst. To ORD I have 2 choices of which UA is the worst and to NYC I have 2 choices of which UA is the worst. To and from the PRC, UA consistently offers a sub-par product compared to the competition. Polaris is a few more blankets and a joke.
Untrue. Delta still has a 2x2 DeltaOne configuration on their intl 757s; same as AA and UA.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
Untrue. Delta still has a 2x2 DeltaOne configuration on their intl 757s; same as AA and UA.
Just curious what an all aisle 757 would look like? 767 Polaris is pseudo 1/2/1 so a 757 would be...?

I think the point you responded to stands if we are discussing widebody on UA. Exiting 2020 with any 2 seat climbout pairs on the sides on widebodies is behind the curve. The 2-4-2 is a whipping boy but within 6-9 months it is an anomaly. But the 2 seat pairs remain on Dreamliners etc.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
AA has an all aisle access setup in F on their 32Ts. The Polaris seat could also probably fit on a 757; the problem is that the half-seat loss at each end is much more significant with fewer total seats (i.e. they probably would have to have 14J instead of 16J).

I still have to run counter to the grain here and say I will miss the 2-2-2 on the 787 when it's gone. While Polaris is better than a herringbone layout, it's still quite unfriendly unless you're flying solo.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Just curious what an all aisle 757 would look like? 767 Polaris is pseudo 1/2/1 so a 757 would be...?

I think the point you responded to stands if we are discussing widebody on UA. Exiting 2020 with any 2 seat climbout pairs on the sides on widebodies is behind the curve. The 2-4-2 is a whipping boy but within 6-9 months it is an anomaly. But the 2 seat pairs remain on Dreamliners etc.
I wouldn't say 2-4-2 will be an anomaly. UA still has 19 77G with 2-4-2 config, and who knows if/when UA might decide to bring them back for more international flying (maybe more seasonal destinations). Of course 19 out of 74 will be a lot less than 40 out of 74 currently with 2-4-2.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hirohito888
I wouldn't say 2-4-2 will be an anomaly. UA still has 19 77G with 2-4-2 config
lol the official new "Ghetto Bird."

After roundly bashing DL's 767, I'll admit I've picked DL to HNL on the 767 via LAX over the 772G from SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.