Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2 years later: Polaris Hype vs. Actual - Is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 years later: Polaris Hype vs. Actual - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Hard product (seat + bedding + better IFE screen + lounges) are much improved when they are available. FAs are still the same, hugely inconsistent, with some who are truly exceptional and others who go out of their way to let you know they don't like their job. But then that's United, consistently inconsistent, offering totally different experiences on the same airline and on even the same route.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Almost all the points in this thread have been discussed in this thread. I agree with most comments, too.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by narvik
I see that quite differently.
For an airline as big as United to commit to retrofit almost all of its fleet in order to offer us decent, layflat, all aisle access seating in J is astounding, and I believe they did an excellent job so far without too much disruption. It's a mind-boggling task in my estimation.
Kudos to UA and all the staff for the effort to see this through!

Going 10-seat wide in Y on certain planes however seems something directly out of back-pain-hell schemed by the horned one himself. Just saying.
Look at how they did Premium Economy - convert a bunch of planes, then offer it for sale
Instead - from the announcement of Polaris - 3 years later (Next July) you still won't have a PL in IAD, and you will still be < 50% of the planes converted.

IF you started converting planes oin July 16 and opened PL in Chicago (soft opening in Dec 16 and announced Polaris in July 17 - my reaction would be completely different
I agree the final end product is nice and worth it, but the hype and advertising at the onset were wildly overblown
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
very very slow rollout however its an amazing seat! the lounges are outstanding. I also never minded the old 787 seats ( I guess they will be around for a long time), the only wish for XMAS is United fixes the meals! OH yuck "beef cheeks" it was disgusting from TPE-SFO.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I agree the final end product is nice and worth it, but the hype and advertising at the onset were wildly overblown
Well, yeah.
But isn't that the case with just about ANY marketing/advertising these days?
I also don't believe that booking a Marriott hotel in an exotic location will have ONE good looking couple occupy the pool area.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
I'm a fan. The Polaris lounges are fantastic. The actual Polaris seat, when you can get it is great. I think they've done a decent job with the hard product roll out but it could be better. Flight attendants vary considerably as noted. Food also varies, in part depending on where its catered. Not a big fan of the mainland China catered food service.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Well, yeah.
But isn't that the case with just about ANY marketing/advertising these days?
I also don't believe that booking a Marriott hotel in an exotic location will have ONE good looking couple occupy the pool area.
No, how much advertising did you hear about premium plus in the past 6 months - zero - none. They have just started cause they have quite a few planes finished and are now trying to sell the seats

I am not sleeping with or eating with any couples/wife I don't bring with me....so, I really don't care who else is at the resort. I am sleeping on Polaris seats and eating in the PL and on board though.
Now, if the beaches I will be sleeping on are perfect in the brochure and covered in trash when I get there, that is another story.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Coworker had their first experience with a Polaris lounge yesterday:

polaris IAH is really pretty but completely filled, people talking on speakerphone, kids running around, babies, strollers in the hallway, crumbs on basically every seat, empty/dirty plates on most tables, no available seats at bar, etc.

the passengers are a big part of the problem but it's understaffed for what they're aiming for
Which pretty well sums up Polaris as implemented: pretty, but undersized and understaffed.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
In two years, I have experienced the new Polaris seat once and a Polaris lounge once. Both were great, but if I get this product at a rate of less than 10% of my flights - that's not really motivating to pick United for international travel.

The food and wine on my most recent trip to and from NRT were similar to what was offered before Polaris which was not great.

I don't think there has been any noticeable change in the on-board service - sometimes it's very good, sometimes it's pretty bad.

I do like the new pillows and blankets. That is really the only consistent noticeable change for me.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Where I am critical is the reversion to cheapness in the food and drink product. If you're going to make Polaris your signature up front product, serving smaller food portions and cheaper wines than were first rolled out just smacks of a low rent mentality. pmUA served decent wine, and pmCO served pretty good food, and instead of the best of both carriers, we get pm-UA quality food and pmCO-quality wine. All to make Wall Street happy.
Are the portions officially much smaller? I thought it was my imagination. It used to be I had to skip the bread and salad to have room for the large ice cream sundae. On my last AKL-SFO flight the portion of fish was so tiny is was comical. After eating every bite of everything I still wanted a mid-flight snack -- that's not normal for me at all.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by chavala
Are the portions officially much smaller? I thought it was my imagination. It used to be I had to skip the bread and salad to have room for the large ice cream sundae. On my last AKL-SFO flight the portion of fish was so tiny is was comical. After eating every bite of everything I still wanted a mid-flight snack -- that's not normal for me at all.
The portions seem smaller and the quality is definitely down. A clear indication that the catering budget has been slashed since the initial implementation of Polaris.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:04 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by EWR764
Perhaps, but can you give an example of a similar product roll-out that was completed faster than what United is doing with Polaris?

For all the hype of the Delta One Suite, it was announced only a few weeks after Polaris and is currently available on fifteen (15) ships... in other words, 1/3 of United's progress in virtually the same time period.
Minus the lounges, too.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Artpen100
A couple of years a 1K, with about 10 international flights a year, and I have yet to see a new Polaris seat or Polaris lounge. The food seems a little worse since Polaris. In my view, it is a perfectly adequate business class product if you can get it at a discount. But the original ad campaign definitely overhyped it. Oddly, I have been looking at TATL travel in the first quarter next year, and UA seems way high compared to the competition on the dates I need - like 9K-15K compared to 3K-5K, and little PZ. I'm traveling about the same times I usually do. I see some lower prices here and there, but not when I need. I'm not loyal, just fly a fair amount, so will just buy on another airline. I wonder if UA thinks it can start getting a premium price for Polaris. Not sure that's gonna work.
How can you possibly say Polaris is overhyped when you haven't flown it nor visited its lounge. You can't base an opinion on a few pictures and just bedding and food.
amtrakusa and chavala like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA damaged the Polaris brand by over hyping it before the product was widely available. There are tens of thousands of customers out there who now equate "Polaris" with 2-4-2 business class.

Originally Posted by EWR764
For all the hype of the Delta One Suite, it was announced only a few weeks after Polaris and is currently available on fifteen (15) ships... in other words, 1/3 of United's progress in virtually the same time period.
It's curious how DL gets a pass on this stuff. Their D1 Suite conversion pace is absolutely glacial. And their 767s, which are the backbone of their international fleet, have an awful hard product.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:11 am

I see that quite differently.
For an airline as big as United to commit to retrofit almost all of its fleet in order to offer us decent, layflat, all aisle access seating in J is astounding, and I believe they did an excellent job so far without too much disruption. It's a mind-boggling task in my estimation.
Kudos to UA and all the staff for the effort to see this through!

Going 10-seat wide in Y on certain planes however seems something directly out of back-pain-hell schemed by the horned one himself. Just saying.
Agree with you! It's impressible to embark on this project that'll bring great consistency to the experience, and an experience that's best in class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.