FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA mainline carry-on policies -- First/Business vs economy, domestic vs internation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1946189-ua-mainline-carry-policies-first-business-vs-economy-domestic-vs-internation.html)

caseminole Mar 22, 2017 6:08 am

Traveling in F (SFO-IAH) and Polaris (IAH-EZE) - carryon bags

I will plan to travel with a computer case, and 2 "they fit in the overhead bin" sized carryon bags.

Will I get hassled because I have 2 carryons in addition to my computer case?

I see the United policy is one carryon and a "travel bag"

Curious if the rules are slightly different for international and/or biz or F

laxmillenial Mar 22, 2017 6:11 am

Yes. The gate agents will most likely ask you to consolidate into 1 carry on bag and 1 'travel / computer bag'.

There are no different rules for your domestic F or your intl business flight.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Mar 22, 2017 10:26 am

Originally Posted by caseminole (Post 28070559)
...Curious if the rules are slightly different for international and/or biz or F

No, the rules are not different.

The reason for limitations is to try an ensure everyone has space for their carry-ons. The bins do not magically get bigger because you buy an int'l and or biz/F ticket.

afrozenfyre Mar 22, 2017 11:10 am

The 1 carry on bag + 1 personal item is an FAA rule as implemented by TSA. The GA will not let you board with more than that.

That said, if you can combine your laptop case into one of the bags for boarding, once onboard, you can stow your baggage however you like.

sbm12 Mar 22, 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by afrozenfyre (Post 28071864)
The 1 carry on bag + 1 personal item is an FAA rule as implemented by TSA.

It is UA policy approved by the FAA. That means enforcement of the policy is an FAA requirement because that's what UA filed with the agency. But the FAA does not mandate the 1+1 rule and other airlines, both currently and in the past, have inmplemented different policies.

The TSA has nothing to do with enforcement of the number nor the size, only the contents.

jsloan Mar 22, 2017 11:18 am

That said, if you can combine your laptop case into one of the bags for boarding, once onboard, you can stow your baggage however you like.

It's unlikely that a "fit in the overhead bin" sized item will be accepted as a personal item.

aacharya Mar 22, 2017 11:32 am

The 1 carry on bag + 1 personal item is an FAA rule as implemented by TSA. The GA will not let you board with more than that.

This. If you do this, I don't see the gate agent, especially for BG1 and in F/Polaris, giving you a hard time. If you do show up with three, you're going to have to check one.

Kacee Mar 22, 2017 11:49 am

Unfortunately, the reality is that GAs frequently allow pax to violate this rule, particularly if they are seated in a premium cabin.

GoSh4rks Mar 22, 2017 12:09 pm

The 1 carry on bag + 1 personal item is an FAA rule as implemented by TSA.

It is not an FAA requirement, not is it implemented by the TSA.

SQ for example, allows 2 bags+personal item in F/J.
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...cabin-baggage/

sbm12 Mar 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 28072152)
It is not an FAA requirement...

The FAA requires that airlines set a policy, file it with the FAA and enforce it as written. The nuance of that policy is up to the airlines to decide on in many ways.

PTahCha Mar 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Yes - especially SFO.

Unless one of the items is an exception item (e.g., medical device, diaper bag, breast pump), which normally is not the size of a carry-on bag.

GoSh4rks Mar 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 28072215)
The FAA requires that airlines set a policy

They do?

Often1 Mar 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole (Post 28070559)
I will plan to travel with a computer case, and 2 "they fit in the overhead bin" sized carryon bags.

Will I get hassled because I have 2 carryons in addition to my computer case?

I see the United policy is one carryon and a "travel bag"

Curious if the rules are slightly different for international and/or biz or F

The UA policy could not be more clear and the answer is "no". You get two items and they are of defined maximum sizes. Where they fit has nothing to do with it. Exceptions have nothing to do with your class of service.

If you make it past the line checkers outside the checkpoint, the GA will likely stop you and require you to check one of your bags to EZE. I strongly advise against that and recommend that you pack correctly and check appropriately at the counter.

For those who want to turn the issue of "FAA Rules" into a semantics debate, UA is required to have a safety and security policy which addresses carry-ons and to file that with the FAA. Once filed with the FAA, UA is obligated to enforce the policy and the failure to do so or the attempt to circumvent the policy is a violation. Toe-May-Toe Toe-Mah-Toe.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx

sbm12 Mar 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 28072397)
They do?

Yes.

sannmann Mar 22, 2017 1:44 pm

United, not LH. LH allows F and C passengers to bring two carry-ons. UA does not. One carry-on and one personal item.