Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partial Rollback (for AC) of P Fare PQM Reduction (Real or Typo?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Hello again,

Whilst checking the milage accruals for a recent AC flight I had I noticed that UA updated the PQM accrual table once again. Effective January 1, 2019 a P fare can either earn 150% or 200% PQM depending on if the P fare is considered "Business" (200%) or "Discount Business" (150%). Any ideas how UA would make that determination and how we as customers can spot the fairest fare? Here's to hoping that UA sees the light and realizes that P means business!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I personally think it is a typo but I wish I am wrong.

It does not make sense to have P fare listed in both boxes.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I personally think it is a typo but I wish I am wrong.

It does not make sense to have P fare listed in both boxes.
I don't think it's a typo. I believe with AC you can buy a normal business fare as P or a discount as P. I'll leave it to the AC fanboys to comment since I don't fly with them unless UA forces me to do so as punishment for finding a cheap fare!

-James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I don't think it's a typo. I believe with AC you can buy a normal business fare as P or a discount as P. I'll leave it to the AC fanboys to comment since I don't fly with them unless UA forces me to do so as punishment for finding a cheap fare!

-James
Hope so. I have AC flights in Q1 booked under P. It will be nice to have 200% PQM. I have no idea if they are business or discount business. The flights are booked by my corporate travel agent.

Woukd it be better to post the question in the AC Forum?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Hope so. I have AC flights in Q1 booked under P. It will be nice to have 200% PQM. I have no idea if they are business or discount business. The flights are booked by my corporate travel agent.

Woukd it be better to post the question in the AC Forum?
Posted the question to AC forum... hopefully cow, nomad or another elite can untangle the mess.

-James
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it's a typo.
It is a typo.

I believe with AC you can buy a normal business fare as P or a discount as P.
You are incorrect. AC does not have a branded fare called "discount."

The term "discount" in this context is an industry term which means "not full fare." You will sometimes see P referred to as "deep discount." It's all marketing-speak; broadly, you can infer from it that there will be conditions attached. That's all it means.

You're probably thinking of the Latitude / Flex / Tango branded fares. AC has two families for business class: Business Lowest and Business Flexible. However, in the markets where they're in use -- it appears to be restricted to North America for now -- Business Lowest refers to P and Z fares and Business Flexible refers to C, D, and J fares.

More to the point, there are two reasons that I'm certain this is a typo. 1 - UA is not going to give better earnings on partner metal than on their own, especially in a case where they have a JV, and 2 - if this were intentional, they would have called out Latitude, Flex, and Tango economy fares, because that's where the branded fares are currently falling apart.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Was AC N always 150%? That tugs at my memory as the thing that changed most recently, but I don't have an old table to compare.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Was AC N always 150%? That tugs at my memory as the thing that changed most recently, but I don't have an old table to compare.
What counts as 'always'? In 2016 AC N was 150% PQM; in 2015 it was 100% PQM. Those years are both PE.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

-James
It's a typo. It never changed, when they moved P to 150% they forgot to remove if from the 200% line. Has been that way since they made the change. Not important enough for UA to fix.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I am very confused with the new P class PQM earning while flying Air Canada metal!

On the chart it says earning PQM for P is 200% underneath it it says again P is earning 150% PQM, so which % is the correct one?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2019 at 1:14 pm Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am very confused with the new P class PQM earning while flying Air Canada metal!

On the chart it says earning PQM for P is 200% underneath it it says again P is earning 150% PQM, so which % is the correct one?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
Someone neglected to proof that before it went live.

150%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.