Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Domestic Bag Cutoff Time Now 45 Minutes (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

Seems like a pretty big change to make with no announcement. Looks like MMH is the only hold out. Bagless check in remains at 30 minutes.

New Site Old Site
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Seems like a pretty big change to make with no announcement. Looks like MMH is the only hold out. Bagless check in remains at 30 minutes.

New Site Old Site
Thanks for providing wayback comparison

The list of airports which previously cut-off bag check at 45 minutes was pretty long and included all the hubs. Seems like the "exceptions" to 30 minute cut-off were pretty much swallowing the rule.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
If already checked in, what is the checked bag cutoff time?

I always check in on the app at T-24, and almost never check a bag, but I need to on a flight this week. I was trying to figure out what the cutoff is for dropping off the checked bag if I'm already checked in, but the website only seems to refer to cut offs for checking in. Is it the same cutoff?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Most domestic trips are 45 minutes.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...mum-reqd-times
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw
I always check in on the app at T-24, and almost never check a bag, but I need to on a flight this week. I was trying to figure out what the cutoff is for dropping off the checked bag if I'm already checked in, but the website only seems to refer to cut offs for checking in. Is it the same cutoff?
the same time as if you haven’t checked in yet😀.

Some domestic airports are 30 minutes for domestic flights, many/most are 45 (example: CVG is 45, despite not being a particularly large or busy airport). Other international airports have other cutoffs, and flying international can have different cutoffs, as well (example: flights to/from Canada have a (pretty strict, IME) 60 minute cutoff). Make sure you give yourself time to actually be at the counter and get the bagged checked before the actual cutoff - simply being in line isn’t going to help (though a sympathetic agent may tag the bag as ‘late’ with you signing a waiver that it’s your responsibility to retrieve it should it not make the flight).
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
When they say "60 minutes before for international flights" do they mean only if the first flight is international or if the itinerary is international?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:27 pm

When they say "60 minutes before for international flights" do they mean only if the first flight is international or if the itinerary is international?
They mean if the first flight is international.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
45 is soooo stupid at places like EGE or ASE or BZN or JAC. At least UA tends not to be super fascist in enforcing, unlike AA or, God help you, DL.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevenshev
45 is soooo stupid at places like EGE or ASE or BZN or JAC. At least UA tends not to be super fascist in enforcing, unlike AA or, God help you, DL.
Yet they’re quite willing, even eager, to check bags at the gate up to boarding time.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Recent experience at BZN suggests they may still be clearing the line at T-45, at least on busy departure days during ski season.

Anyway, reasonably sure the 45 minute limit is really the point at which they *could* reject checking but that they could still allow it too.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Anyway, reasonably sure the 45 minute limit is really the point at which they *could* reject checking but that they could still allow it too.
I rarely check bags, but one time at SFO a few years ago I checked a bag about 35 minutes before departure. They were happy to accept it, but stated that because I was inside the 45 minutes they couldn't guarantee that it would make the flight. (It did)
​​​​​​
The 60 minutes comes from the US Government requirement to submit APIS data at least 60 minutes before departure, which means that everyone needs to be checked in by that time. Of course, that doesn't directly affect baggage drop-off, but it's obviously less confusing to tie to two together.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
I flew recently with AA out of DAY, checked my bag past 45 min cutoff and didn't get a word from the agent about my bag past the cutoff time. Maybe I got lucky that day.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
I flew recently with AA out of DAY, checked my bag past 45 min cutoff and didn't get a word from the agent about my bag past the cutoff time. Maybe I got lucky that day.
Why are you posting that here?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
You'd think that at places like MRY as well...but 90% of the time the people checking you in are the gate agents so they like to get everything done and then go to the gate for the inbound arrival and subsequent departure.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by kale73

Yet they’re quite willing, even eager, to check bags at the gate up to boarding time.
Two different animals.

the owners of gate checked bags provide their own transportation to the gate. Then they get dropped to the plane below, are some of the last pieces of luggage aboard.Also, Its not uncommon to have limited space or weight allowed for these bags, particularly in the summer on the 739 fleet on short departing runways (SNA comes to mind) or very hot days (PHX)

Regular checked luggage needs to be transported to the plane via baggage carts and needs to be loaded, generally before the gate checked stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.