Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Regional Premier Upgrades--Is it time for a mass DOT complaint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regional Premier Upgrades--Is it time for a mass DOT complaint?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
No complaints from me. I’ve had pretty good success with RPUs this year, including on a couple of ex-BOS ps752s. Most have been spoke-to-hub or vice versa, and flights through IAH have been pretty lucrative, with R/PZ availability at booking.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmr12
I don’t know. I freely admit I’m not an attorney. It’s my lay understanding that the airlines are not subject to regulation by the FTC, so are the airlines free to advertise anything they want that isn’t explicitly covered in the above?
Indeed, airlines are regulated by the DOT. What part of the RPUs advertising is deceptive? They explicitly say "Regional Premier Upgrades are subject to capacity controls, which may limit the number of seats available for upgrade." on the page detailing them.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I don’t know. I freely admit I’m not an attorney. It’s my lay understanding that the airlines are not subject to regulation by the FTC, so are the airlines free to advertise anything they want that isn’t explicitly covered in the above?

Maybe UA's FFP falls within jurisdiction of DOT, but it's a complete waste of time/energy if you decide to continue to ignore UA's printed terms and conditions as well as the experiences of others. No where does it say bmr12 is guaranteed successful application of awarded upgrade certificates or that United will set aside seats for bmr12 on the specific flights you book. There are thousands (10s of thousands?) of UA flyers who manage to use their certificates on their flights. It's not false or deceptive advertising. You have to remember that GSs (and those they gift certificates to) book into PN, so a lot of seats UA has allocated (and that you want) have already been taken by GSs. There are tons of flights where I see PN>0 and PZ=0. As 1Ks, we're often (not) getting GS scraps.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think this may have been discussed once or twice before. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...wadays-71.html

DOT doesn't regulate frequent flyer programs.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Was thinking about gunning for Platinum as I'm currently at 68k but given the experiences here I'll stick to Gold and just relax the last two weeks of the year.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
I used all of my RPUs this year, but I suspect that in many or even most of the cases I would have gotten a CPU without applying the RPU.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

This is completely untrue, but does not change the fact that you do not have a valid complaint.

While the FTC does not regulate commercial air carrier advertising, DOT does. Unfair and deceptive advertising by an air carrier is a violation of Title 49 just as that advertising would be a violaton of the FTC Act for a non-carrier.such as a hotel.

However, nothing on UA's website or other materials appears to be false or deceptive. Rather, you have had poor luck or made poor selections. I am close to certain that UA has at its fingertips the metrics for RPU usage showing how many are used, by how many passengers and on what routes and when. Even here on FT, which is hardly statistically significant, it appears that there are many who are using their RPU's just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.