Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Regional Premier Upgrades--Is it time for a mass DOT complaint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat

I was 1K last year and Platinum (MM) this year. I had RPUs expire at the end of last year after being unable to use them. This year, I've had my two RPUs applied to upcoming flights for most of the year (sometimes close-in, sometimes a few months out) in hopes of securing an upgrade, any upgrade. While I think one was hub-to-hub, the others have all been hub-to-spoke or vice-versa. Even during Thanksgiving week. Mornings, afternoons, evenings. Doesn't matter. No dice, no clearance, not even close. I'm flying again this week--just before Xmas and not likely a peak business travel week--and am presently #6 on the upgrade list, implying five other folks are Plats/1K/GS also applying the useless instruments in desperate hope for the one remaining seat in F.

I'm intimately familiar with the Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays thread. I'm hoping the distinction here is sufficient.

I'm thinking it's time for action. It is clear from my experiences of the past year plus that this is no longer actually a benefit of MileagePlus, despite it being advertised as such. Since it is my understanding that the Department of Transportation is the regulating body for airlines due to anti-trust legislation, I'd like to file a formal complaint that this so-called benefit is false advertising/misleading/plain old deceptive. And I'd like many others here to consider the same to get United to either:
  1. Stop advertising this alleged benefit to it's most frequent fliers, or
  2. Actually return to the days where some space was made available for at least certificate-sponsored upgrades.
Seeking advice and other thoughts...
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I regularly use RPUs to clear others of lesser status when not flying with me, and that thread will find many other successful uses of RPU. The real challenge for RPUs as a 1K is there is a very narrow "slot" where you need to RPU the flight because a CPU won't clear, but the RPU is still likely to work. (PZ space on HNL and p.s. flights is of course the Holy Grail here.)

The DOT is not going to take a complaint like this seriously; while there is a lot of commiserating about the lack of upgrades in the modern era in the linked thread, I doubt this will be much different.

But don't worry -- UA has heard the complaint and they are limiting the number of RPU you get in future years to cut down on the clutter
Santander likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:55 pm

Sounds like a way for United to get rid of RPUs altogether stating customer feedback.

I know quite a few people who use RPUs successfully because they book where upgrade space already exists.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Sounds like a way for United to get rid of RPUs altogether stating customer feedback.

I know quite a few people who use RPUs successfully because they book where upgrade space already exists.
With how much they've already cut, It's gonna make me reconsider status if they cut anymore. While I appreciate trying to make CPUs clear more often by reducing RPU, I highly doubt it will make any difference as TODs are the most effective ancillary revenue generation technique they've implemented.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Routing specific problem

I will give you a counter example. The problem is routing specific and related to day of travel. I recently cleared CPUs for all three segments of SLC-DEN-SAN-IAD as 1K on Saturday. The ticket was changed due to cancellation of a segment of previous SLC-LAX-IAD booking in G class. The rebooking was on G Class, too. Actually, SAN-IAD had four empty FC seats (red eye). If I applied a RPU immediately after rebooking, I would receive upgrades for all three segments right away (PZ>0). My CPU gamble was paid off.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I feel OP's pain. As a frequent hub-to-hub traveler (EWR <-> SFO), I have not had any success applying RPUs. There are several reasons for this:

1) routes: hubs on both end
2) higher number of elites fighting for finite number of seats
3) discounted premium cabin fares
4) TODs

My course of actions - redirect my $$$ elsewhere. While EWR is the easier airport for me, JFK is just as acceptable, as is LGA for short-to-medium haul. With less than $1K PQD to go back in October for Plat renewal, I chose to fly on other carriers. I will continue to spread my spend among multiple carriers, as I am already a free agent anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I only took one domestic flight in 2018 in Y, and I forgot to apply a RPU to the flight.
Received a CPU instead.

I don't even bother checking how many RPUs I have, as they all expire unused, every year.
Checked just now; I have 26 RPUs of which 8 will expire end of January.

Still, not interested in a complaint over this.

It's no skin off my back...
.....as long as I keep 100% success rate with my GPUs!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
1) Firstly, the DOT would not be the agency one would complain to.

2) United would be able to plainly demonstrate that thousands of customers are able to use their RPUs.

3) Extending one’e experience using RPUs as being reflective of everyone’s is saying they know probably more than they actually do.

4) RPU success is a function of routes/timing/etc. - if you say “Gee, I never can use my RPUs on EWR-SFO on Fridays, so I’ll sue” is a bit oblivious. I’ll take your RPUs and use them - unfortunately, that would be just another nail in a sure-lose complaint.

5) UA has never promised everyone can use alll their Instruments.

I know OP is just ranting, but complaining to to the U.S. government is a waste of time in light of reality.
rmadisonwi likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 16, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Complain about what? I used all my RPUs for this year, then used my wife's RPUs for this year, then started using my RPUs that expire in 2020, then started using my wife's RPUs that expire in 2020.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
I manage to use all or most of my RPUs each year. Most recently, I did a SDC from HNL-DEN-XXX to HNL-ORD-XXX when it was evident the first segment would not clear, had the applied RPU moved to the new flight, and it cleared at the gate. I find using RPUs to be challenging sometimes, but I manage to use them and consider them a good benefit as a1K.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Well, next year no one gets more than 4, so that might help. I used 10+ in each of the past 3 years - now I only get 4
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I feel OP's pain. As a frequent hub-to-hub traveler (EWR <-> SFO), I have not had any success applying RPUs. There are several reasons for this:

1) routes: hubs on both end
2) higher number of elites fighting for finite number of seats
3) discounted premium cabin fares
4) TODs

My course of actions - redirect my $$$ elsewhere. While EWR is the easier airport for me, JFK is just as acceptable, as is LGA for short-to-medium haul. With less than $1K PQD to go back in October for Plat renewal, I chose to fly on other carriers. I will continue to spread my spend among multiple carriers, as I am already a free agent anyway.
switch to AS. AS flies SFO <-> EWR nonstop. I switched from UA to AS for my monthly SFO <-> BNA route and I’ve been upgraded to F roughly 80% of the time this year
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Which section of 14 CFR Part 399 Subpart G do you feel this falls under and why?
jsloan, findark and ajeleonard like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Which section of 14 CFR Part 399 Subpart G do you feel this falls under and why?
I don’t know. I freely admit I’m not an attorney. It’s my lay understanding that the airlines are not subject to regulation by the FTC, so are the airlines free to advertise anything they want that isn’t explicitly covered in the above?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by BaconSF

switch to AS. AS flies SFO <-> EWR nonstop. I switched from UA to AS for my monthly SFO <-> BNA route and I’ve been upgraded to F roughly 80% of the time this year
Already have, along with DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.