Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-LAX has 752 lie flat aircraft, will it get Premuim Transcon Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-LAX has 752 lie flat aircraft, will it get Premuim Transcon Service?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
Has anyone taken BOS-LAX lately? I know it’s not premium, but aren’t the fare rules different? Wondering about SDC to BOS-SFO. ...
SDC to a different destination is not allowed ( GS agents may be able to override this but the written policy is clear )

Also, in the for what it’s worth category, the GS agents in Boston seem to think this is converting to premium.
UA does not have the needed aircraft, at his point, to do this for all BOS-LAX flights without reducing service elsewhere.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA does not have the needed aircraft, at his point, to do this for all BOS-LAX flights without reducing service elsewhere.
Sure they do. Take today for example - both BOS-LAX frequencies are operated by 752s. All United has to do is pay a few more dollars per premium passenger for better catering and some blankets and pillows.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rch4u
Sure they do. Take today for example - both BOS-LAX frequencies are operated by 752s. All United has to do is pay a few more dollars per premium passenger for better catering and some blankets and pillows.
...and lounge access at both ends for Business class travelers, as well as free meals/booze for economy plus. Not as trivial as you suggest...
SteveHK likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rch4u
Sure they do. Take today for example - both BOS-LAX frequencies are operated by 752s. ...
And has not UA had 3, 4 flights daily at various times of the year.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Since they moved the 752 on to the route though, it's been consistently 752 (I believe, IMHO, with fewer 753 substitutions than BOS-SFO)

Also, should have clarified - not changing my SDC destination. I'm connecting and there are legal routings through both SFO and LAX. I brought it up because an agent proactively offered SFO as a change (but I hadn't been upgraded yet).
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The route had 3 daily (well, 2.5 IIRC--the third one did not operate on all days) frequencies back in the spring, but for the summer in fall we seem to have gone back to 2 daily, perhaps allowing the 752s to cover Europe. I've never seen 4 daily.

UA definitely has the aircraft to make this route PS, even at only 2 daily, if they wanted to.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I took this route, and found the service to be excellent!
SteveHK likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dkc192
UA definitely has the aircraft to make this route PS, even at only 2 daily, if they wanted to.
Exactly. But they don't want to.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I took this route, and found the service to be excellent!
Did you have Saks pillow or just standard domestic blanket?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Standard domestic pillow and blanket on the two times I've flown this route since it was upgraded to a 752, both times ex-BOS.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Standard domestic pillow and blanket on the two times I've flown this route since it was upgraded to a 752, both times ex-BOS.
do we get pillows again in domestic F? That would be news to me. Haven’t seen them in years.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
do we get pillows again in domestic F? That would be news to me. Haven’t seen them in years.
No they must have saved a small stash for the lieflat redeyes. Close to worthless, I would bring my own.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...do we get pillows again in domestic F?...

All the F lie-flats out of Hawaii get pillows and duvets.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SDC to a different destination is not allowed ( GS agents may be able to override this but the written policy is clear ).
Also, should have clarified - not changing my SDC destination. I'm connecting and there are legal routings through both SFO and LAX. I brought it up because an agent proactively offered SFO as a change (but I hadn't been upgraded yet).
Several months ago I was offered (on a Saturday) a SDC (both at the check-in kiosk and app) of MSY-SFO-LAX to MSY-EWR-LAX with arrival at LAX about an hour later than the original itinerary. I had cleared a mileage upgrade weeks before on the original itinerary and my "new" flights were in First and Business. I took it for the extra miles.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

Standard domestic blanket, which was not ideal, and no Saks bedding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.