Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding international flight, UA tik, CM flight because no return trip ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding international flight, UA tik, CM flight because no return trip ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, American

On a recent flight from Billings, Montana to Medellin, Colombia, via Denver and Panama, I was denied boarding the plane in Denver by Copa because I had no return trip ticket. I purchased the ticket from United's website. There was no indication I would need a return trip ticket, and have never been required to have on the 6 or so times I had made the same trip. I ended up having to pay $1350 for a new ticket to continue on the trip. United and Copa refuse to take responsibility for this. I feel that United should reimburse me for the new ticket. Any suggestions on what recourse I might have would be appreciated.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Right from the U.S. State Department consular pages:

You may be denied entry to Colombia if you do not have a return ticket.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../Colombia.html
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sorry for your travel problems, as one learns with international travel, the need for a return ticket can be a requirement of the countries you are traveling thru.

It is the passenger's responsibility to have read and understood the transit and entry requirements.
It was not UA's responsibility as it was just operating as ticketing agent and had no idea what visas or other travel documents you might have had that would or would not allow transit / entry.

Similarly for COPA states
THE CARRIER may refuse, validly and without any liability, to transport the Passenger when the Passenger does not provide full identification or does not have all the documents and visas necessary for the trip. Photocopies of documents shall not be accepted. Only originals shall be accepted.
and
Said person does not have valid trip documents, attempts to enter a country for which said person does not have the necessary documentation, destroys his documentation during the trip, or refuses to provide his documents to the crew in exchange for the corresponding receipt or proof.
these are standard statements that all airlines have in their Contract of Carriage.

The onus is on the traveler to have what is required. As UA states as you purchase a ticket and if traveling with UA , states as you check in. Ignoring those generic warnings is at your risk.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Right from the U.S. State Department consular pages:

You may be denied entry to Colombia if you do not have a return ticket.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../Colombia.html
In addition to the State Department site you should check the consular sites for each country you are traveling thru

or shortcut approach is TIMATIC , a free airline industry tool (UA provides access to) for checking these requirements

These requirements can change from time to time and past history is no guarantee.

Bottom line answer, neither carrier owes you anything if they are enforcing a requirement imposed by any of the countries you are traveling thru. And it is your responsibility to be aware of those requirements.

In the past, this was a role for the travel agent, but in today's self-service model, it is your job.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2018 at 1:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by MontGR
Any suggestions on what recourse I might have would be appreciated.
Hope for a schedule change that makes it possible to get a full refund. If you bought your replacement ticket from UA, their schedule change policy is pretty generous and schedule changes are reasonably common.

For future reference, all tickets purchased from United.com can be refunded within 24 hours of purchase. Some travelers in your situation will refund the ticket once they've entered their destination country.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American
I guess I didn't make it clear. I had to buy a new ticket from Denver to Colombia. I tried to buy a return ticket before the copa plane left, but the United site wouldn't work. By the time I got the site to work, it was to late. So after an hour on the phone with a United rep, to no avail, and another hour trying to get the United site to work again, I used skiplagged site and bought a new ticket for $1350.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I guess I didn't make it clear. I had to buy a new ticket from Denver to Colombia. I tried to buy a return ticket before the copa plane left, but the United site wouldn't work. By the time I got the site to work, it was to late. ...
Depending on the reason for the booking issue, you might get a token $50 discount for future travel on UA only flights.

But that does not change the situation on the original denial
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I can't see how that changes anything. Your original nonrefundable ticket is still nonrefundable.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
United and Copa refuse to take responsibility for this.
That's because it's the passenger's responsibility to be aware of international travel and documentation requirements.

Having a return ticket is a pretty basic requirement of entry to most countries. Sometimes airlines will confirm at check-in that you have one, sometimes they won't. But you always need to be able to prove that you do.
EWR764, trooper, findark and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Some countries require you to have the ticket bought, some require you to "Have the means to buy one". Again as most others have said on an Int'l itinerary above your flight on the website there is a section that pops up with links to all the pertinent data you need to make sure you have the documentation required.

United nor COPA can't possibly give you your exact scenario as there is just too many flying every day for them to bother to look after every single passenger, at some point the passenger has to take responsibility. You could have easily booked a refundable return ticket and cancelled it after you got there (I have NO IDEA if this is legal, just sayin', you would have had a return ticket when you tried to board though)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:55 pm

This message shows up before you pay on United's website.

Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Don’t we all wish that UA would reimburse us when we have had ticket issues? Some of us could probably make it a daily occurrence or more on IT Saturdays.

Unfortunatey, no one is responsible for your IT issues but yourself. It sucks and it happens to a lot of us.

The only advice I advise is that you should always have a round trip booked when you travel intl. Despite it not being a requirement, some countries ask to see it, just to ensure that you’re not staying in their country beyond the 30/60/90/120 days you’re allowed to.

Book. Cancel when you figure out when you’re leaving. Losing $25/$50 on an award ticket is much cheaper than what happened to you occurring.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
This message shows up before you pay on United's website.

That same message shows up and stays up in the "manage flight" section of the website until you actually fly. It also comes up again when you try and check in
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First and foremost, it is always 100% the responsibility of the passenger to have in his possession all of the documents required for travel. This includes a return or onwards ticket is that is what a country requires. It is not UA's job to tell you what you need. But, UA does give you free access to TIMATIC so that you can check yourself.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC

Had you checked, you would have known that Colombia may require a return / onwards ticket and you could have booked all of this and been done with your problems.

If you were at a CM counter at DEN, why would you not simply purchase the return ticket on the spot, rather that messing around with UA, particularly when you had IT problems?

Bottom line here is that none of it matters. There is less than no chance that either UA or CM will reimburse you for anything.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Expanding upon what others have said... Yes, it's your responsibility to read the requirements and many countries require proof of return. As a precaution I always print out a paper copy of my return reservation if it's not on the same carrier as my departing flight and bring with me or have the reservation screenshot saved on my phone, especially if on another alliance.
jsloan and LadyShiva like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
To correct numerous posts above, it is not a requirement to have a return ticket, however a ticket leaving the destination country (onwards ticket) might be required

Bus/train tickets are also accepted in many circumstances

As someone else mentioned, many airlines allow a 24 hour window to cancel a ticket after purchase, and travel time from North to South America is generally <24 hours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.