FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Round trip to Paris. Which way would you upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1945950-round-trip-paris-way-would-you-upgrade.html)

COEWR2587 Dec 15, 2018 11:56 am

Round trip to Paris. Which way would you upgrade

Going to CDG from EWR with the wife in Feb. Have enough miles for both us to upgrade one of the ways. Upgrade space in PZ is showing confirmable both ways.

Anyone have any opinion which which way is “best” or would recommend to sit upfront in. 767-400 both ways.

sannmann Dec 15, 2018 11:58 am

Originally Posted by COEWR2587 (Post 30539016)
Going to CDG from EWR with the wife in Feb. Have enough miles for both us to upgrade one of the ways. Upgrade space in PZ is showing confirmable both ways.

Anyone have any opinion which which way is “best” or would recommend to sit upfront in. 767-400 both ways.

Outbound. Would allow you to use the Polaris Lounge at EWR.

uastarflyer Dec 15, 2018 12:08 pm

And sleep overnight eastbound. The return is likely a day flight so siting is fine.

Aussienarelle Dec 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 30539047)
And sleep overnight eastbound. The return is likely a day flight so siting is fine.

+1
Always try ​​​​​​​and upgrade the red eye for the sleep.

WineCountryUA Dec 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Eastbound out is nighttime flight
West bound return is a 90 minutes longer and daytime flight

For jetlag and best adjustment to destination, I would try to sleep on the outbound. Arriving in Europe in the morning is a killer time adjustment and best to stay awake till the evening (naps on arrival are a bad idea)

So, depends on if the upgrade is for sleeping or if experiencing the cabin and seat is the objective.

jamesinclair Dec 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 30539056)
+1
Always try ​​​​​​​and upgrade the red eye for the sleep.

Im the opposite. If Im going to be awake, I rather do so where the food is better, the entertainment is better, and I have more space.

Sleeping? Why spend more money to sleep?

PsiFighter37 Dec 15, 2018 1:39 pm

I would only do J on the way over IF I was being very disciplined and ate at the Polaris lounge in EWR and slept virtually the entire way over in J. Otherwise, despite the lounge access and the bed for sleeping, I would go up front on the return because it is a longer flight. Sleeping in the back isn't terribly with a 2-3-2 layout, and depending on when in February you are going (since it is off-peak), you could get some extra seats to lay out on.

As an FTer, though, I would be figuring out a way to swing it on both legs. :D

HNLbasedFlyer Dec 15, 2018 1:49 pm

These are tough calls -

This is not an easy sleep flight for most people, it leaves 6:20pm and is only a bit over 7 hours (shorter than HNL-ORD) - by the time you get up in the air, do a dinner and breakfast service, there isn't much time to sleep - even if you can sleep at the early departure. The Polaris Lounge would be the big appeal for me on an upgrade this direction.

On the flip side, if I stayed up late in Paris the night before with an early wake up call - I do think I could sleep on the return, and it is a longer flight.

I'd upgrade both legs

Aussienarelle Dec 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jamesinclair (Post 30539214)
Im the opposite. If Im going to be awake, I rather do so where the food is better, the entertainment is better, and I have more space.

Sleeping? Why spend more money to sleep?

For me it is because I want to hit the ground running with very little jetlag. On the return I stay awake and then can sleep in my own bed, so happy to be in Y but happier in J. CDG is a nine hour time difference for me, but even with six hours (between EWR and CDG) I would still opt for the upgrade on the red eye. We each have our own preferences which is why I think the OP was asking for the viewpoints of others.

Maestro Ramen Dec 15, 2018 2:09 pm

I would personally upgrade eastbound (NY to CDG). This is usually an overnight flight, and the jetlag is bad going east, so you will appreciate the extra comfort. You will also arrive fresh in France to fully enjoy your holiday.

The westbound flight is 6 hours, so hardly the end of the world in a Y seat, the lag is not too bad going the other way so more bearable, and also your holiday is over anyway so you might as well feel terrible ;-)

Upgrade the other way if:
-You want to feel better about your holiday ending
-You want to enjoy the Biz lounge in Paris before leaving (If you are flying Delta/Sky team, you have access to AF lounge: free champagne)

HNLbasedFlyer Dec 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 30539344)
The westbound flight is 6 hours, so hardly the end of the world in a Y seat, the lag is not too bad going the other way so more bearable, and also your holiday is over anyway so you might as well feel terrible ;-)

Unless UA gets a really fast plane, the westbound is 8 hours 45 minutes

findark Dec 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Eastbound. Dinner in the EWR PL and sleep the entire flight.

EWR764 Dec 15, 2018 2:53 pm

100% EWR-CDG for the PL... have dinner there (better than what's served on board), a few cocktails if you partake (again, better than what's served on board), get on, put down the mattress pad and snooze the entire flight. Coming home, the 764 Y seat is perfectly nice for a daytime flight.

If you are *G, the *A lounge at CDG is nice, but not on the same level as the Polaris Lounge.

Miles Ahead Dec 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by COEWR2587 (Post 30539016)

Wife in J both ways, you in Y both ways.

AlanInDC Dec 15, 2018 3:34 pm

For me, no doubt: Upgrade eastbound. Get up super early that day and have dinner at the airport. As soon as you hear the double ding, go into sleep mode with earplugs and eyeshades. Sleep as much as possible, even through breakfast service if you can.