UA or Brussels SN in Biz

Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
UA or Brussels SN in Biz

Hope this is the right place....

Booking a trip to KIG next year via BRU and have the option of UA or SN from IAD to BRU in Biz. Assuming UA will be Polaris which would you choose?

Thx
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Hope this is the right place....

Booking a trip to KIG next year via BRU and have the option of UA or SN from IAD to BRU in Biz. Assuming UA will be Polaris which would you choose?

Thx
IAD-BRU will either be a retrofitted Polaris 772 or an sUA version of the 772, whereas SN will fly an A330 with Vantage seats that TBH I'm not a huge fan of given the tight footwells (and I'm not that big a person either, even in the 'throne' seats). SN catering will probably be better, but since this is a short redeye hop, I would go with UA given better hard product (try to snag the old GF seats if you can if it's not a retrofitted plane for sure) and better probability for sleeping well.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
IAD-BRU will either be a retrofitted Polaris 772 or an sUA version of the 772, whereas SN will fly an A330 with Vantage seats that TBH I'm not a huge fan of given the tight footwells (and I'm not that big a person either, even in the 'throne' seats). SN catering will probably be better, but since this is a short redeye hop, I would go with UA given better hard product (try to snag the old GF seats if you can if it's not a retrofitted plane for sure) and better probability for sleeping well.
Great info. Thanks. Its next Sept so feeling like Polaris is pretty likely. We will get 8 hours of the SN product from BRU to KIG so will have back to back comps.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
SN has better food, all aisle acces (IIRC) and the seats are great for sleeping. But if you need UA EQM for annual or MM status then UA is a no brainer.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
the seats are great for sleeping
The Vantage? Narrow, small footwell. Okay for daytime flight, not for an overnight.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I dont know the seat names. I do know the 330 I flew was lousy for reclining (the seat was too close to the TV when partially reclined) but fine when fully flat. The narrow foot area doesnt bother me. Being 12 from the screen does
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Pics of SN look like it’s a 2 2 2 config, so we’ll likely go UA and either get Polaris or old GF if avail - can I get wife who is UA gold GF if I’m 1k and we are on same reservation?

Round 2 of head to head for the long haul return leg. FRA-DEN
UA787-8 or LH747?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA787-8 or LH747?
No clear winner. UA seat is better, LH service is more consistent, food maybe a little better, and the aircraft will be cleaner. I like the change of pace flying LH. Upper deck is always nice, too.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
UA787-8 or LH747?
I would go for UA 787, and if booking this far out you should get the bulkheads with huge footwells. If its a couple you dont need to worry too much about the 2-2-2 layout but the center two (D-E) give unfettered aisle access.

Ive flown the LH 747(8) and was very underwhelmed, especially the upper deck. It seemed way more claustrophobic than the UA 744s. Indeed I preferred the lower deck on the LH 748.

Btw, re the outbound in September theres a very good chance your PMUA 772 will be Polaris. There are already 10 completed with another due out any day and likeky one more by the end of the year (12). Conservatively (current rate of 3 mod lines and 2 months per mod) another 12 should be done by September meaning 24 of 33 in Polaris.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
SN has better food
And if OP is a beer person, great selection on board.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Ive flown the LH 747(8) and was very underwhelmed, especially the upper deck. It seemed way more claustrophobic than the UA 744s. Indeed I preferred the lower deck on the LH 748.
FRA-DEN is 744,
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
No clear winner. UA seat is better, LH service is more consistent, food maybe a little better, and the aircraft will be cleaner. I like the change of pace flying LH. Upper deck is always nice, too.
I agree. I would probably say LH 744 > UA 788 > LH 748 (footsie seats, argh), but only because I love the UD. Considerations like timing, lifetime miles, etc. would easily sway me between them.
Kacee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.