Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Meals on flights to South Florida, why only MIA?

Old Dec 14, 18, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX

I flew out of Miami yesterday, had a nice meal in upgraded first to Chicago (part of MIA-ORD-LAX flight). I was surprised by the meal, I had flew into out FLL/RSW with light snacks last month and this Northern Summer so was wondering any reason Miami flights have better meals (to from ORD/EWR). One interesting note, I heard on the flight twice people asking what the cheese on the Indian themed meal but glad UA has more bold vs. plain meal choices.

MIA-ORD first class meal, Tandori Chicken with nice basamti rice
Old Dec 14, 18, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
I think the answer is simple, thanks to UA's 'enhanced' rules about meals...MIA is barely long enough to qualify for meals based on flight time, whereas neither PBI or FLL are.
Old Dec 14, 18, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I think the answer is simple, thanks to UA's 'enhanced' rules about meals...MIA is barely long enough to qualify for meals based on flight time, whereas neither PBI or FLL are.
The FLL-EWR and EWR-FLL get the same meal service as MIA-EWR.
Old Dec 14, 18, 8:25 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer View Post
The FLL-EWR and EWR-FLL get the same meal service as MIA-EWR.
The OP likely took a Lunch flight (which means "Snack") on the way to FLL. These routes are part of the group that gets full dinner service but a reduced breakfast and lunch service.
Old Dec 14, 18, 11:31 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
I think AA serves a meal, so it is to match (am certain out of LGA and JFK)
Old Dec 15, 18, 12:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1.9MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goldelite8 View Post
The OP likely took a Lunch flight (which means "Snack") on the way to FLL. These routes are part of the group that gets full dinner service but a reduced breakfast and lunch service.
Correct ... itís a weird mixed bag. Both MIA-ORD flights each day at 12:20pm and 4:30pm offer full Lunch and Dinner, but the FLL-ORD flights at 6:33am and 12:12pm are both a Snack, with only the evening service offering full dinner. AA offer full meal service on all ORD-MIA throughout the day, so that plays into it.

FLL/MIA-EWR offer Snack all day except for the evening services 4:15pm - 8:30pm, which have Dinner. After 8:30pm heading Southbound itís the trusty Refreshment Basket.
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by greenpau View Post

Correct ... itís a weird mixed bag. Both MIA-ORD flights each day at 12:20pm and 4:30pm offer full Lunch and Dinner, but the FLL-ORD flights at 6:33am and 12:12pm are both a Snack, with only the evening service offering full dinner. AA offer full meal service on all ORD-MIA throughout the day, so that plays into it.

FLL/MIA-EWR offer Snack all day except for the evening services 4:15pm - 8:30pm, which have Dinner. After 8:30pm heading Southbound itís the trusty Refreshment Basket.
Thanks, yes I look the mid day MIA-ORD flight a few days ago, and last month the flight out of FLL about the same time and had different meal services. Maybe I guess because AA does so out of MIA as posted.
Old Dec 15, 18, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Taipei View Post
Thanks, yes I look the mid day MIA-ORD flight a few days ago, and last month the flight out of FLL about the same time and had different meal services. Maybe I guess because AA does so out of MIA as posted.
yeah, it is like ORD-LGA serving lunch whereas the longer flight ORD-BOS does not. Thankfully there are some routes where UA is forced to compete with others who so far fail to downgrade their domestic F service like UA did.
Old Feb 25, 19, 4:04 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
F Meal Service on MIA/ORD, but none FLL/ORD? Similar departure times.

Any ideas as to why in mid-March on the same weekday, MIA-ORD 10:38am departure with block time of 3:27 and segment length of 1192 miles shows meal service as "L", as expected, while an 11:00am FLL-ORD flight with block time of 3:20 and segment length of 1177 shows only snack service in F? Seems strange.

Last edited by jss; Feb 25, 19 at 4:09 pm
Old Feb 25, 19, 4:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
It not the block time but the flight time (over the year). I believe this has been raised before and answer was the average flight time over the year for FLL is below the 3 hour cutoff while MIA is just over the cutoff.

Note for the evening meal FLL qualifies. Just not breakfast or lunch

Search this Thread
Search Engine: