Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United called traveller to check source of GPU (purchased online)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United called traveller to check source of GPU (purchased online)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LIH
spare one instance where a check-in agent at LHR pulled an already cleared GPU from my at the time girlfriend's LHR > LAX flight because she couldn't get me on the phone at what was likely 3AM in LA. The much nicer ladies in the Star Alliance lounge reversed that out-trade once she cleared security, however.
That's pretty ridiculous - it seems like if they're going to check (and I can't argue with that) they should do it at the time the GPU is applied or within a reasonable period, not at the airport.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I was removing RPU's from another reservation, and applying them to my son, and that can't be done online. Quite reasonable to ask before they let you modify someone else's reservation, even with the same sirname.

When you apply RPU/GPU online, all you need is the PNR and Sirname in my experience.

Actually, that could be a good idea - if they asked for more personal info at the time of applying instruments on-line, many people wouldn't be willing to give that away together with the sale of an instrument, and perhaps it would deter fraud.
I agree but the personal information should be about yourself (the original owner of the instrument), not the other party.
They use to ask for a pin. Now they ask the three questions. I've never heard them ask for the birthdays of the other party (unless those were your three questions)

Overall, I think calling to check FIRST is MUCH BETTER than (stories I've read about) cancelling someones account/reservation/instrument without notice only finding out at the airport and being stranded in another country. If UA want's to do that, fine, but actually speak to the person once and/or give some warning.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by eng3
I agree but the personal information should be about yourself (the original owner of the instrument), not the other party.
They use to ask for a pin. Now they ask the three questions. I've never heard them ask for the birthdays of the other party (unless those were your three questions)

Overall, I think calling to check FIRST is MUCH BETTER than (stories I've read about) cancelling someones account/reservation/instrument without notice only finding out at the airport and being stranded in another country. If UA want's to do that, fine, but actually speak to the person once and/or give some warning.
On the contrary.

If the other individual purchased the upgrade or is somehow involved in the fraud, the last thing you want to do is simply give them the opportunity to disappear. Far better to interview them at the airport. That's when people blurt out all kinds of stuff.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1
On the contrary.

If the other individual purchased the upgrade or is somehow involved in the fraud, the last thing you want to do is simply give them the opportunity to disappear. Far better to interview them at the airport. That's when people blurt out all kinds of stuff.
Fine then interview them at the airport. Wasn't there an account of someone who arrived at the airport (in a foreign country) where they were just told their ticket has been cancelled without any questioning at all? And in that case, there wasn't any fraud (based on the account we had). If I recall, there have been several accounts where there was no communication with the person at all except to tell them their account was cancelled. We'll just see a post here and then the details trickle in over the next 100 pages.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:21 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
That's pretty ridiculous - it seems like if they're going to check (and I can't argue with that) they should do it at the time the GPU is applied or within a reasonable period, not at the airport.
The Star Alliance lounge (old LHR) agents asked my girlfriend to describe the agent that had done it and when she did they both rolled their eyes at each other and immediately reapplied the SWU. I think this was an agent-specific issue.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
Are fellow FTers considered friends for the purpose of gifting GPUs and RPUs?
I have 5 and 6 which are going to just dissapate in a little over a month. Seems like a shame..
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thedon
Are fellow FTers considered friends for the purpose of gifting GPUs and RPUs?
I have 5 and 6 which are going to just dissapate in a little over a month. Seems like a shame..
The issue is not the relationship, the issue is do you receive any consideration in return.
If freely given, with no expectations in return, you are fine.
n198ua and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The issue is not the relationship, the issue is do you receive any consideration in return.
If freely given, with no expectations in return, you are fine.
Lets say you, WineCountryUA, were going to have a couple of GPUs left over and you decided to give me, N198UA, one of them. I PM you my PNR and you sponsor the upgrade. Then, at the airport, an agent decided to ask me questions about our relationship and how I came about getting the GPU, and I don't know you from Adam. What would happen then ?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by n198ua
at the airport, an agent decided to ask me questions about our relationship and how I came about getting the GPU, and I don't know you from Adam. What would happen then ?
When someone gives you a GPU, make sure you get name and phone number as a minimum. If the donor is not willing to give these out, don't accept the GPU.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Likely your upgrade would be rescinded and both your accounts would be flagged by UA for possible audit and punitive action.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Likely your upgrade would be rescinded and both your accounts would be flagged by UA for possible audit and punitive action.
Which makes no sense to me. If someone wanted to give me a GPU and take nothing in return, UA should mind their own business.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Which makes no sense to me. If someone wanted to give me a GPU and take nothing in return, UA should mind their own business.
Agree with FlyinHawaiian

If the recipient cannot identify the provider of the GPU / miles / .... there is a reasonable presumption the provider was not a relative and/or close friend. The remaining options are suggestive of situations UA would not find permissible.

Remember the GPUs are not your property to use or give away at your whim, they are UA's property and UA gives the rights to use them in accordance with the rules and conditions UA dictates. These are the rules you agreed to in becoming an MP member. And UA wrote the rules giving them sole discretion to determine if you are in compliance. It's their game, their rules, their decisions, we play.

Or in other words, IT IS THEIR BUSINESS, because they say so.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If the traveler doesn't even know the name of the person from whom the upgrade was obtained, that would be a strong indicator of an internet purchase rather than a true gift. And since UA will have no other way to determine how the transfer actually occurred, these sorts of circumstantial indicators are all it has to go on.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I remember in the olden days when I would give someone a GPU or RPU, I would always send them an email stating what I was doing with my name, MP number and phone number. They would have this in case someone would question their getting one. I was actually called once by an agent due to an issue that came up with a GPU (f/k/a Systemwides).
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I remember in the olden days when I would give someone a GPU or RPU, I would always send them an email stating what I was doing with my name, MP number and phone number. They would have this in case someone would question their getting one. I was actually called once by an agent due to an issue that came up with a GPU (f/k/a Systemwides).
I now gift them all the time and have never been called. Always to friends and family usually with little to no status. FWIW I think ONE has cleared in the year but don't get me started on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.