Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Polaris Cookbook now on sale

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is great. I've been trying to replicate those fantastic meals out of DEN earlier this year . . . hope they're in the book!
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
21 left just now. They priced it too low I guess.
That's for the package with the Polaris apron
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Santander
Also:

With how that law is worded, it seems just being alive and breathing gets you that warning....
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Santander
Also:

Does the warning apply to the meals produced from those recipes, or to the book itself?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I saw this post earlier today and assumed it was a joke. WHO would buy this?????
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chavala
WHO would buy this?????
The prime reason this likely exists is for United to give as gifts (ie, "swag") to people.

The way many companies marketing departments operate now days is that use they companies like Summit Marketing (the company who's website you're actually going to when you buy this book) to handle their internal marketing swag stock. If you work for United (eg, in sales, marketing, etc) and you want to send your customers or prospects a christmas present, you go to this website and order 20 cookbooks, and then give them out to your customers. Want to give out some United notebooks or playing cards at an industry event or conference? Same thing.

Most of these marketing companies then have the ability to make some (but normally not all) of the items available for purchase by the public as well, often at a higher price, and that's obviously what they have done here.

As odd as buying a Polaris Cookbook might seem, getting one from United as a thank you gift for something does actually make sense.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by chavala
I saw this post earlier today and assumed it was a joke. WHO would buy this?????
I might get it for a GS friend as a massive joke...

​​​​​
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
The prime reason this likely exists is for United to give as gifts (ie, "swag") to people.

The way many companies marketing departments operate now days is that use they companies like Summit Marketing (the company who's website you're actually going to when you buy this book) to handle their internal marketing swag stock. If you work for United (eg, in sales, marketing, etc) and you want to send your customers or prospects a christmas present, you go to this website and order 20 cookbooks, and then give them out to your customers. Want to give out some United notebooks or playing cards at an industry event or conference? Same thing.

Most of these marketing companies then have the ability to make some (but normally not all) of the items available for purchase by the public as well, often at a higher price, and that's obviously what they have done here.

As odd as buying a Polaris Cookbook might seem, getting one from United as a thank you gift for something does actually make sense.
This is exactly how it works. Except that the employee facing site is much less nice. Also, there's a middle "tier" for employees to buy with a discount, that looks like the public site.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
This is actually great.

My rice always turns out way too fluffy and tender. I really need to know how to turn them into crunchy bits of tooth-killers....
LOL.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it have tips on how to cut corners and save money?

Last edited by username; Dec 14, 2018 at 11:57 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Does it give instructions on pre-plating the meals?
greenpau and fezzington like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Does it give instructions on pre-plating the meals?
... and how to survive serving Thanksgiving dinner for 50 in the kitchen on two bookshelves with one less family member helping you. “Don’t worry” it says ... “your family members are still PART of your family, and we’re going to add 10 more family members next year, but we’ve just eliminated the role in the kitchen for efficiency”

Last edited by greenpau; Dec 15, 2018 at 9:12 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Gift at UA Event

I received this cookbook, autographed by executive chefs, Gerri & Gerri, at the event they held in the SFO Polaris Lounge last Monday. (They were there whipping up food and drink for us to try.)

The book is nice but small: under 100 pages. But you won't find food from the Polaris lounge or cabin in it; it's more like "Polaris inspired" recipes. And I believe these are some of the same recipes they rotate in Hemispheres by the inflight menu.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Is there a version of the cookbook available for sub-GS/1K's with a page blacked out because they ran out of the recipe choice?

Will they be re-issuing the cookbook in February, with instructions on how to pre-plate the meals?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
But you won't find food from the Polaris lounge or cabin in it; it's more like "Polaris inspired" recipes.
Thanks so much for this bit of important information.
Recreating a Polaris meal (Thai Chicken) was likely one of the ONLY reasons for me to even remotely bother contemplating the purchase of this book.
You have now effectively reduced this desire to zero!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
Thanks so much for this bit of important information.
Recreating a Polaris meal (Thai Chicken) was likely one of the ONLY reasons for me to even remotely bother contemplating the purchase of this book.
You have now effectively reduced this desire to zero!
So I received a copy of the book and the apron as a holiday gift yesterday ... people know I do like to cook so this was positioned as a “gag gift”

@Weatherboy is right — the recipes are all Polaris-inspired and many are in Hemispheres ... however, there IS a recipe for a Thai-style chicken dish, only the fancier original restaurant menu version ... on which our beloved onboard Thai-style chicken version is apparently based. Basically, you can recreate a higher quality version at home.

There are two short rib recipes, too ... of course!

Many of the recipes are quite complex - many steps and obscure spices, so it is actually a pretty advanced cookbook — not one for beginners or less-than-committed chefs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.