Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ticket, account, ID name miss-match/spelling, order, concatenation issue[Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA ticket, account, ID name miss-match/spelling, order, concatenation issues [Merged]

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Directly from SHARES:

NAME CHANGE GUIDELINES: **NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE A NAME ON A TICKET THAT INVOLVES A SIMPLE ERROR ON THE NAME, SUCH AS NICKNAME, MISSPELLING, OBVIOUS TYPO, NAME REVERSAL CHANGES WITH DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE/DIVORCE. FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, UA MUST ENSURE ACCURATE APIS DATA IS COLLECTED AND IT MATCHES THE PASSPORT. FOR EXAMPLE, THE NAME ON THE TICKET CAN BE JON SMITH WHILE THE PASSPORT REFLECTS JONATHAN SMITH. APIS DATA MUST REFLECT JONATHAN SMITH - EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE PASSPORT, BUT NAME CHANGE TO THE TICKET IS UNNECESSARY.

Just ensure APIS is correct and you should be golden.
SHARES is UA system and strictly limited to UA, but it is likely other airlines have similar instructions for their staff

Related threads
Misspelled name / wrong order on ticket [Consoldiated]
Ticket name issues due to marriage
United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Directly from SHARES:

NAME CHANGE GUIDELINES: **NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE A NAME ON A TICKET THAT INVOLVES A SIMPLE ERROR ON THE NAME, SUCH AS NICKNAME, MISSPELLING, OBVIOUS TYPO, NAME REVERSAL CHANGES WITH DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE/DIVORCE. FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, UA MUST ENSURE ACCURATE APIS DATA IS COLLECTED AND IT MATCHES THE PASSPORT. FOR EXAMPLE, THE NAME ON THE TICKET CAN BE JON SMITH WHILE THE PASSPORT REFLECTS JONATHAN SMITH. APIS DATA MUST REFLECT JONATHAN SMITH - EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE PASSPORT, BUT NAME CHANGE TO THE TICKET IS UNNECESSARY.

Just ensure APIS is correct and you should be golden.
SHARES is UA system and strictly limited to UA, but it is likely other airlines have similar instructions for their staff

Related threads
Ticket name issues due to marriage
United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?
Print Wikipost

UA ticket, account, ID name miss-match/spelling, order, concatenation issue[Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador

been looking forever for a good award ticket, called from a taxi the other day, found a perfect routing for wife and I for anniversary trip-- agent read back all the details, dates, flights, names and I said "sounds good, hold it and i'll book it later." I go home, get the email conf and see my name is spelled: instead of Dominik it says "Domink"? Although agent said "Dominik" when reading back to me! I called United and they said the award reservation has to be cancelled and would need to find a new route to correct the name!...I'm a Prem Ex member and think that's insane? Took me months to find this and their agent messed this up, now I suffer?...they also said, well you can just try it and see if anyone notice misspelling when compared to passport? sounds sktechy to me?...any advice? or am i just screwed?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:06 pm

If it was me, I would go with the misspelling and not worry about it.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
If it's an award ticket, wouldn't the agent have your MP number already? Therefore your (correct) name, e-mail, phone.....also?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:15 pm

I, too, would not worry. If you are going somewhere that allows OLCI, you should be fine. In the off chance that you are stopped at the entrance to the security line, you can request a secondary screening (adds 5-10 minutes) and get through. If you have to check in with a person, hopefully, you can still fall back on a secondary if they have eagle eyes and catch it.

Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Do you have a long last name? If so (and even perhaps if not), you could just tell anyone who asked that they had to shorten your name to get it to fit on the ticket. I don't think anyone will care, though. Have UA put a note in your PNR, and you should be set. It is very frustrating, but I don't think it'll end up being a hassle.

Also, if you're going to Asia or anywhere else that doesn't use the Roman alphabet, they most certainly won't notice. If they do, they'll probably assume it's an accepted short version of the name.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I honestly don't think this will make any difference. It's easy to just skim over the name and not even notice the error.

It does seem ridiculous that they just can't correct this mistake, but your trip is not ruined yet.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA1K
i also agree. shouldn't be a problem and i wouldn't worry about it. and i also think since it was an award ticket the name should be spelled correctly in the MP number. so that didn't make much sense, unless i'm missing something.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
thanks for advice

awards came out of wife's account, so didnt have my milage plus #---anyway, going to just go ahead and give it a shot and hope no one notices...just a very frusterating experience, especially because the United manager first tried to suggest that I spelled my wife's name wrong when I gave it to the Rep over the phone! I mean, I just think their better customers deserve a little more credit/respect than that...at least admit you're wrong -- even if you are helpless to fix your dumb mistakes...

thanks again for adive...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Show up, print the boarding pass, go to security. If security balks, go back to UA desk, have them change the name at no charge, you will get SSSS'ed but it'll have the right name.

Otherwise, just get a secondary at security.

JP
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Add Note in PNR

Originally Posted by jjj8
Do you have a long last name? If so (and even perhaps if not), you could just tell anyone who asked that they had to shorten your name to get it to fit on the ticket. I don't think anyone will care, though. Have UA put a note in your PNR, and you should be set. It is very frustrating, but I don't think it'll end up being a hassle.

Also, if you're going to Asia or anywhere else that doesn't use the Roman alphabet, they most certainly won't notice. If they do, they'll probably assume it's an accepted short version of the name.
Agree this can be addressed if you ask agent to input note in PNR for your official correct name (e.g. award ticket slightly misspelled). It's happened to me once, and I solved it with this approach.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I've had an issue before with my name being spelled incorrectly. I simply brought it to the attention of the ticket agent and she changed it and printed new boarding passes. It shouldn't be a problem once you get to the airport.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
BTW, this title is misleading. Your trip isn't ruined, you haven't even left yet! Ruined would be if you showed up at the airport, were denied boarding and went home.

So far all this is is a United screw-up...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I once booked award tickets on UA (YVR-SYD) for my sister and her partner - I gave UA an incorrect spelling for her partner's surname. No one noticed until they checked-in but they let him through as only one letter was incorrect - apparently (so the agent said at the time) one letter wrong is considered a correct match.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: GM
My last passport had a dropped letter in my first name-- never had a problem for the decade I had it.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by noah
BTW, this title is misleading. Your trip isn't ruined, you haven't even left yet! Ruined would be if you showed up at the airport, were denied boarding and went home.

So far all this is is a United screw-up...

I was thinking the same here.... besides the drama and a minor screw-up by UA (what else is new??), nothing to see here, folks....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.