Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Day Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Christmas Day Upgrade

My wife and I are flying from Frankfurt to Chicago on Christmas Day this year. We have never flown international on Christmas Day before and looking at the seat map there is no one in business class. (Actually it appears that there are four seats reserved as of 10 days out). I’m curious as to whether United ever offers any lower upgrade prices on that day since it seems that there isn’t anyone in that cabin or if they just fly it essentially empty. Anyone had an experience on Christmas Day and whether they have any special offers? I can do a miles+copay upgrade but just wondering if there is any attempt to sell those seats for less on a day that is basically empty. The current upgrade price online is not lower than normal.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
For me - if there is a decent miles + copay or reasonable buy-up AND upgrade space available, I'd grab it.

It is a gamble - which may or may not pay off, if the buy-ups go lower than what is currently offered.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Dec 14, 2018 at 12:24 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Unlikely you'll see a buy-up for less than around $800. There was a report recently around $600 but that's quite unusual. Never lower than that.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This may be the answer to the thread about GPUs being useless nowadays - UA would probably bite your arm off if you are waving one of those.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
We've flown LHR to various USA destinations on the 26th, which also has light loads. This year we've used GPUs, but in the past we've upgraded with both TOD and miles/co-pay. The usual TOD I can recall seeing is about $800.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This may be the answer to the thread about GPUs being useless nowadays - UA would probably bite your arm off if you are waving one of those.
Yeah really, PZ9! I can't remember the last time I saw that.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Anecdotal, and awhile back, but I flew EWR-ZRH on Christmas Day in 2012 and got a buyup offer at check in for $400!
boss315 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Just checked the flight - VERY few bookings in J (can't give the exact number out of policy), but oversold in Y

If you have status, try to be the first to 'volunteer' for the op-up.
Santander likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Just checked the flight - VERY few bookings in J (can't give the exact number out of policy), but oversold in Y

If you have status, try to be the first to 'volunteer' for the op-up.
How do you "volunteer"?

I believe I had an op-up in August on LHR-ORD as I had no GPUs left but was in J on a K fare.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:21 am

There's no official way. Despite being an employee, I have my own earned Platinum status. On a recent revenue paid flight EWRCDG, same situation. I just went up to the gate agent and made a small joke "If Y is oversold, I'm happy to volunteer for an upgrade! haha". She laughed. I got a seat in J.

Technically, they're supposed to go by the MP status list (just like a CPU, which in my case she did- I legit was the next one on the list) but it doesn't hurt for the agent working the flight to like you!

edit to add: anything I say on this forum is my own opinion and not on behalf of the company.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
I flew this route on Christmas 2015 in Y, with my wife and two children. J was empty, as expected, but Y ended up being full - we were op upgraded as *silvers*. So you never know!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
FRA-ORD, 12/25 1:00pm, UA906 - PZ is PZ9!

If I were you, I'd use (a) GPU or (b) miles + copay to upgrade the flight ... NOW! edit: This is a 3-class plane, if you're 1K you can sit in the old GF seats

If you're waiting for 'better' opportunity - lower cost, maybe a free upgrade - then remember the adage, "bird in hand is worth two in the bush."

Last edited by miasmal; Dec 14, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by RockyMtFlyer
I flew this route on Christmas 2015 in Y, with my wife and two children. J was empty, as expected, but Y ended up being full - we were op upgraded as *silvers*. So you never know!
As a general rule, intl flights on Christmas Day are EXTREMELY Premier light!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP does not list his status. Presuming he has none, it is highly unlikely that he receives an OPUP. If UA does offer the seats for <800, they will be grabbed up fairly quickly. Thus, if it is possible to get them now at $800, I would take it and not look back.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am flying YVR-SFO on December 26 and no FC seats left. I had purchased FC as it was extremely cheap when I booked in January. SFO-SAN is wide open in FC. So it does depend upon where you are going on the dates around Christmas. I am flying LAX-LHR on December 28 and the K fare return was less than $500 and I used miles and co-pay to UG and tons of space in J. NYE in London - best place to be on the Thames! Flight back in Y and the Y load is very light at this stage. Contrast with TPAC and very few seats available for the UG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.