Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Int'l SFO Route Expansion: SFO-DEL/MEL/YYZ, ICN dbl daily, AMS/PPT/AKL Year Round

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces Largest International Route Expansion in San Francisco

Announces new nonstop service to New Delhi, Toronto and Melbourne, Australia
Adds second daily flight to Seoul, South Korea, increasing to 11 flights weekly
Begins year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam, Auckland and Tahiti in 2019

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced its largest ever international network expansion from its hub at San Francisco International Airport. The airline will offer Bay Area customers nonstop year-round service to Toronto and Melbourne, Australia and seasonal service to New Delhi. United also announced it will begin a second daily flight between San Francisco and Seoul, South Korea. All routes subject to government approvals. In addition to the new routes, in 2019, United will begin new year-round nonstop service between San Francisco and Auckland, New Zealand, Tahiti, French Polynesia and Amsterdam.

"This route expansion solidifies United's position at San Francisco as the gateway airline serving destinations across the Pacific, the continental United States, as well as to Europe and beyond," said Oscar Munoz, United's CEO. "It serves as a fitting capstone to all our efforts that made 2018 a breakthrough year for United, from delivering strong financial performance to currently leading in on-time departures for the second year in a row."

"San Francisco continues to be a cultural and economic hub for the world," said U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein. "These new routes will expand international travel to and from San Francisco International Airport, helping us forge stronger connections between our city and other major destinations around the globe."

Since 2013, United Airlines has added 12 new international destinations from San Francisco. With these new flights, United will serve 29 international destinations from San Francisco, including eight cities in Europe, India, and the Middle East, seven in North America, and 14 in Asia and Oceania. United, the largest airline at San Francisco International Airport, operates more than 300 daily flights.

"This is great news for all of our customers and employees in the Bay Area, and a sign that United is deeply committed to growing San Francisco and adding unique and exciting destinations across the globe," said Janet Lamkin, United's President of California.

United has been a Bay Area company for 90 years and employs 14,000 people in the region, including 2,500 industrial jobs at its maintenance base, which recently celebrated its 70th anniversary of operation. United continues to invest in the airport, this year opening the 28,000-square foot Polaris lounge near Gate G92 in International Terminal G.

San Francisco to Amsterdam
United recently announced it will offer nonstop daily year-round service between San Francisco and Amsterdam. With this new flight, United will be the first U.S. carrier to fly between California and Amsterdam. United currently serves Amsterdam nonstop from its hubs in Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington, D.C. The new San Francisco service begins on March 30, 2019 and will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.

San Francisco to Melbourne, Australia
Offering the most service between the U.S. West Coast and Australia by any U.S. carrier, United is adding new nonstop year-round service between San Francisco and Melbourne three times per week, beginning October 29, 2019. For more than 35 years, United has offered nonstop service to Australia. Today, United offers nonstop service to Sydney from Houston, Los Angeles and San Francisco and provides nonstop service between Los Angeles and Melbourne. United operates all flights between the U.S. and Australia with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.

San Francisco to New Delhi, India
United's new seasonal service between San Francisco and New Delhi enables business and leisure travelers nonstop access from the U.S. West Coast. The new flight will connect customers from more than 80 cities to India with just one stop in San Francisco. United currently offers nonstop service to Mumbai and New Delhi from New York/Newark. Seasonal service begins on December 5, 2019, with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.

San Francisco to Seoul, South Korea
United is adding a second flight – flown four times per week – between San Francisco and Seoul, South Korea. The airline has served Seoul for more than 30 years from San Francisco. The second flight will provide customers with new time and itinerary options, while providing convenient connections to more than 80 destinations. The additional flights begin on April 1, 2019 and will be operated with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

San Francisco to Toronto, Canada
United's new twice-daily nonstop year-round service between San Francisco and Toronto begins March 31, 2019, offering convenient connections for business and leisure travelers from throughout the western United States, Asia and the South Pacific. United currently offers more than 20 daily flights between Toronto and its hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington Dulles. In addition to Toronto, United operates daily nonstop service between San Francisco and Calgary and Vancouver. United will operate service with Boeing 737-800.

San Francisco to Pape'ete, Tahiti, extended to year-round
This fall, United began the only nonstop service offered by a U.S. carrier between the mainland U.S. and Tahiti with its San Francisco – Pape'ete flight. The airline recently announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco. Year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays begins March 30, 2019. United operates Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft between San Francisco and Pape'ete.

San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, extended to year-round
Beginning March 30, 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland offers passengers more than 20 connections across the region and the return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United's extended service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

Pre-announcement speculation thread
United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12 Dec 2018)
Print Wikipost

UA Int'l SFO Route Expansion: SFO-DEL/MEL/YYZ, ICN dbl daily, AMS/PPT/AKL Year Round

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Would love to see that. But when they're adding a second ICN over a first BKK, I think that tells us something about where BKK falls on the list.
I agree. But I think eventually UA will recognize they made a mistake abandoning BKK. After many years they have resumed SFO-YYZ service. Of course TG may offer USA-BKK service one day too.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
As others mentioned, not the most exciting routes announced, but better to be adding than subtracting. I'd like to see what kind of fares show up on that MEL flight.

Does SFO not have the ability to bus passengers to remote gates to add capacity? Not the best, but better than just sitting and waiting for a gate to open up.

As another poster said, nobody did their homework in Chicago as DL78 LAX-AMS is definitely a US carrier flying California to Amsterdam. Maybe they should have put Northern in front of California.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by samyoull
The real excitement about UA flying YYZ-SFO is assumedly the UA birds will actually have WiFi. Feels like a complete waste to fly AC737 and not have any connectivity.
The lack of Wifi on AC flights is insane to put it mildly. Recently I flew them from LHR to YYZ on a 777 and was shocked to find out that wifi was not offered at all. What the heck are they expecting me to do on an evening flight for 7+ hours in middle seat Y?! I've been on a handful of AC flights (SFO -> YUL, YYZ <-> YUL, YOW <-> YUL, YUL <-> YSJ, etc.) and have yet to encounter a single bird that offered Wifi (let alone had it functioning!) I can only imagine what it would be like being on a 777HD to Asia with no wifi.

My suspicion is that CPUs will be easy to get on that route since the vast majority of people who fly there on business are most likely AC Altitude elites who need the e-Upgrade credits to get in on the precious lie-flat action! Was there any news about whether the route would have PY? I suspect if it did that would make CPUs a bit easier and would also give AC a run for their money given the lack of PY they offer on that route!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:03 am
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Just wrapped up a quick chat with Oscar Muńoz at the LAX UA club. Of the crowd leaving the club only two of us recognized him and approached to greet him. He was friendly and cordial, even took pictures with us. But we both let him know that although we are happy to see UA add more long haul flights, we are disappointed that LAX has lost a SIN and a handful of North American cities.
He did say many many folks had been sharing their respective dream flights out of LAX while he's been here 😂
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Originally Posted by samyoull
The real excitement about UA flying YYZ-SFO .....
My suspicion is that CPUs will be easy to get on that route since the vast majority of people who fly there on business are most likely AC Altitude elites who need the e-Upgrade credits to get in on the precious lie-flat action! Was there any news about whether the route would have PY? ....
As the planned aircraft for SFO-YYZ is 738, PP / Premium Economy is not in the cards. No announced plans for any of the 73X to have PremiumPlus.
wrp96 and zeer0 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by adambrau
Still hoping for SFO-BKK in the future.
I find that highly unlikely given the amount of J and premium demand there would need to be to handle such an ultra long-haul route. I suspect the majority of the traffic would be tourist (budget) conscious travellers and limited, if any, traffic on the business side. The reason why UA can serve far flung destinations like SYD and MEL is there is a significant amount of business transacting in those Asian/Oceanic hotspots.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Was watching this closely as was hoping for LAX-PER
Interesting thought, do you think the volume is there ? I was thinking Brisbane might have a shot for people with QLD on their schedules
Perth is an interesting city , it is incredibly well served internationally especially from the eastern in bound.
Not sure how you got your ticket but UA used to partner with CX for a ticket that was just ridiculous in price.
When I ran our company there from NC I would go RDU-IAD-NRT-SIN then by a seperate TKT on SQ. it as far from as NC as you get !
I then switched to QR thru DOH, it is a couple of hours longer but a world of difference in quality for the same cost....
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
My suspicion is that CPUs will be easy to get on that route since the vast majority of people who fly there on business are most likely AC Altitude elites who need the e-Upgrade credits to get in on the precious lie-flat action! Was there any news about whether the route would have PY? I suspect if it did that would make CPUs a bit easier and would also give AC a run for their money given the lack of PY they offer on that route!
I think there will be a fair amount of paid J pax for TPAC connections, so I don't think CPUs will be quite so easy. It definitely won't be a slam dunk like most of UA's transborder routes.
wrp96 and gcashin like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:26 am
Suspended

The lack of Wifi on AC flights is insane to put it mildly. Recently I flew them from LHR to YYZ on a 777 and was shocked to find out that wifi was not offered at all. What the heck are they expecting me to do on an evening flight for 7+ hours in middle seat Y?!
Did you travel before airlines added WiFi equipment to their aircraft?
If so, what did you do in that situation? Do that.
lixiaojuventus and zeer0 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Santander
I think there will be a fair amount of paid J pax for TPAC connections, so I don't think CPUs will be quite so easy. It definitely won't be a slam dunk like most of UA's transborder routes.
Bingo. The timings are much better than when the single flight operated. Back then tho, it was an easy CPU (which I doubt is an indicator of such today)
The evening flight connects nicely with SYD/SIN, and the morning one with Asian destinations. Likewise on the return

The evening AC flight to SFO is a 787, but it has a miserable OTP, which often meant missing the evening UA flights (thread is in the AC forum), so yes you would have a lie flat to SFO, but 50%+ chance you wouldnt even arrive before your UA longhaul left.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by GFrye
Did you travel before airlines added WiFi equipment to their aircraft?
If so, what did you do in that situation? Do that.
Considering that AC competes with the US3 and the US3 have outfitted all their aircraft with wifi for last couple years, it's quite ridiculous that AC still doesn't have wifi on all their widebodies (44% of widebodies and 0% on 7M8). I have actively avoided flying international day-time flights on AC due to the lack of wifi.

For YYZ-SFO, I would choose UA for CPU, E+, wifi, and free snack for 1K over miserable AC Y (on 787 or 7M8).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Was watching this closely as was hoping for LAX-PER (although I just booked a flight through SIN was kicking myself).
LAXPER is a good ways out of 789 range, about 300nm longer than PERLHR. Maybe with the A359ULR or 777-8X...

Originally Posted by spin88
The major industries in DEL are government, banking, insurance, financial services, and agriculture, also some tourism. None have links to SFO. NYC yes, SFO no. The business travel in J is to BOM/BLR. There is probably as much paid J damand to a place like Hyderabad as DEL from SFO. There may be some low end travel back to India by expats, but even then, most of the high tech workers in the US were not from DEL, its BOM/BLR, etc. And I doubt that SFO is going to get much connecting demand given the flight times over doing a connection in SIN/HKG/Japan or Europe/ME, given the rather ugly flight times UA has chosen.
Well, I guess that seals it, as it's clearly a guaranteed loser (since DEL apparently has NO links to SFO)! Should you call Oscar and tell them the bad news, or should I?

Meanwhile, it pretty much means those 9x weekly AI 777s on SFO-DEL are 100% flow traffic, right? After all, the SFO-DEL market is nonexistent, right?

Also, it's kind of interesting that one of the existing AI DEL-SFO flights (the one that operates daily) actually leaves at... wait for it... 4:00am! I guess that flight is generally booked around 0% LF? I'm sure you have the numbers to support those definitive statements, right?

Originally Posted by spin88
You have to cross restricted Chinese or Russian Airspace, which limits routings and requires more fuel, plus have to cross the Himalayas. My understanding is that you need more fuel to do this, hence shorter range. To give an e.g. UA blocks SFO-SIN at 17 hours 20 minutes, IA blocks SFO-DEL at 16 hours 15 minutes, given the typical cruising speed (about 490 knots) they are allotting a lot of extra block time to SFO-DEL.
The Himalayas top out at 20,000' MSL +++, which restricts potential direct routings because of engine-out driftdown or decompression (an issue which can mostly be solved with supplemental O2, but still a major problem). A 'safe' routing would add hundreds of miles to the GC path, which already would be UA's longest 787 flight if flown direct, beating IAHSYD by about 125nm. For those reasons, SFOBLR is a non-starter.

EWRBLR is another story, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that come about in 2020 when UAL has around a dozen 787-9s scheduled for delivery. I can see the 789s beginning to make their way to EWR at that time.
IndyHoosier and SFOdelayed like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Dec 13, 2018 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Bingo. The timings are much better than when the single flight operated. Back then tho, it was an easy CPU (which I doubt is an indicator of such today)
The evening flight connects nicely with SYD/SIN, and the morning one with Asian destinations. Likewise on the return

The evening AC flight to SFO is a 787, but it has a miserable OTP, which often meant missing the evening UA flights (thread is in the AC forum), so yes you would have a lie flat to SFO, but 50%+ chance you wouldnt even arrive before your UA longhaul left.
50%+ may not be fair. The latest AC739 have arrived over the last two weeks (small sample size I know) is 923pm local time. That is still plenty of time to catch UA flights departing around 11pm or later.

​​​​
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
50%+ may not be fair. The latest AC739 have arrived over the last two weeks (small sample size I know) is 923pm local time. That is still plenty of time to catch UA flights departing around 11pm or later.
​​​​
it was running at <40% in the summer
AC739 Daily Delays - Why?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
it was running at <40% in the summer
AC739 Daily Delays - Why?
I don't think I've ever not been delayed YYZ-SFO and v.v. on AC. I've had terrible luck in general with their operations, especially over the past year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.