Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Int'l SFO Route Expansion: SFO-DEL/MEL/YYZ, ICN dbl daily, AMS/PPT/AKL Year Round

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces Largest International Route Expansion in San Francisco

Announces new nonstop service to New Delhi, Toronto and Melbourne, Australia
Adds second daily flight to Seoul, South Korea, increasing to 11 flights weekly
Begins year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam, Auckland and Tahiti in 2019

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced its largest ever international network expansion from its hub at San Francisco International Airport. The airline will offer Bay Area customers nonstop year-round service to Toronto and Melbourne, Australia and seasonal service to New Delhi. United also announced it will begin a second daily flight between San Francisco and Seoul, South Korea. All routes subject to government approvals. In addition to the new routes, in 2019, United will begin new year-round nonstop service between San Francisco and Auckland, New Zealand, Tahiti, French Polynesia and Amsterdam.

"This route expansion solidifies United's position at San Francisco as the gateway airline serving destinations across the Pacific, the continental United States, as well as to Europe and beyond," said Oscar Munoz, United's CEO. "It serves as a fitting capstone to all our efforts that made 2018 a breakthrough year for United, from delivering strong financial performance to currently leading in on-time departures for the second year in a row."

"San Francisco continues to be a cultural and economic hub for the world," said U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein. "These new routes will expand international travel to and from San Francisco International Airport, helping us forge stronger connections between our city and other major destinations around the globe."

Since 2013, United Airlines has added 12 new international destinations from San Francisco. With these new flights, United will serve 29 international destinations from San Francisco, including eight cities in Europe, India, and the Middle East, seven in North America, and 14 in Asia and Oceania. United, the largest airline at San Francisco International Airport, operates more than 300 daily flights.

"This is great news for all of our customers and employees in the Bay Area, and a sign that United is deeply committed to growing San Francisco and adding unique and exciting destinations across the globe," said Janet Lamkin, United's President of California.

United has been a Bay Area company for 90 years and employs 14,000 people in the region, including 2,500 industrial jobs at its maintenance base, which recently celebrated its 70th anniversary of operation. United continues to invest in the airport, this year opening the 28,000-square foot Polaris lounge near Gate G92 in International Terminal G.

San Francisco to Amsterdam
United recently announced it will offer nonstop daily year-round service between San Francisco and Amsterdam. With this new flight, United will be the first U.S. carrier to fly between California and Amsterdam. United currently serves Amsterdam nonstop from its hubs in Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington, D.C. The new San Francisco service begins on March 30, 2019 and will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.

San Francisco to Melbourne, Australia
Offering the most service between the U.S. West Coast and Australia by any U.S. carrier, United is adding new nonstop year-round service between San Francisco and Melbourne three times per week, beginning October 29, 2019. For more than 35 years, United has offered nonstop service to Australia. Today, United offers nonstop service to Sydney from Houston, Los Angeles and San Francisco and provides nonstop service between Los Angeles and Melbourne. United operates all flights between the U.S. and Australia with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.

San Francisco to New Delhi, India
United's new seasonal service between San Francisco and New Delhi enables business and leisure travelers nonstop access from the U.S. West Coast. The new flight will connect customers from more than 80 cities to India with just one stop in San Francisco. United currently offers nonstop service to Mumbai and New Delhi from New York/Newark. Seasonal service begins on December 5, 2019, with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.

San Francisco to Seoul, South Korea
United is adding a second flight – flown four times per week – between San Francisco and Seoul, South Korea. The airline has served Seoul for more than 30 years from San Francisco. The second flight will provide customers with new time and itinerary options, while providing convenient connections to more than 80 destinations. The additional flights begin on April 1, 2019 and will be operated with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

San Francisco to Toronto, Canada
United's new twice-daily nonstop year-round service between San Francisco and Toronto begins March 31, 2019, offering convenient connections for business and leisure travelers from throughout the western United States, Asia and the South Pacific. United currently offers more than 20 daily flights between Toronto and its hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington Dulles. In addition to Toronto, United operates daily nonstop service between San Francisco and Calgary and Vancouver. United will operate service with Boeing 737-800.

San Francisco to Pape'ete, Tahiti, extended to year-round
This fall, United began the only nonstop service offered by a U.S. carrier between the mainland U.S. and Tahiti with its San Francisco – Pape'ete flight. The airline recently announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco. Year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays begins March 30, 2019. United operates Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft between San Francisco and Pape'ete.

San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, extended to year-round
Beginning March 30, 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland offers passengers more than 20 connections across the region and the return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United's extended service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

Pre-announcement speculation thread
United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12 Dec 2018)
Print Wikipost

UA Int'l SFO Route Expansion: SFO-DEL/MEL/YYZ, ICN dbl daily, AMS/PPT/AKL Year Round

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Great news for SFO. Wondering, if/when MUC and ZRH might go year-round.
Would be nice to see some crumbs for LAX as well! LAX-FRA - finally, anybody?
UA did LAX-FRA a number of years ago. Maybe 10??? It did not last very long. I took it a few times. 777 with the barcaloungers in C.

But I'm with you about getting some crumbs for LAX. We need to move from being a focus city to at least a hublet.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kBill
UA did LAX-FRA a number of years ago. Maybe 10??? It did not last very long. I took it a few times. 777 with the barcaloungers in C.

But I'm with you about getting some crumbs for LAX. We need to move from being a focus city to at least a hublet.
Right: LAX-FRA was launched in spring of 2008 and dropped in fall.

With the soon open PL, occasional Oscar visits I would hope there are some plans at work for LAX.
Too bad the LAX-SIN did not work out, seems like - among other issues - the distance was just too much of a stretch for the 789.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I must have missed an announcement, but effective April 1, it looks like United is flying direct to Toronto Pearson (and vice-versa.) At least, that's what I'm picking up on Google Flights.

That's hugely welcome for us Canadian United flyers... no more dealing with crappy Air Canada!
****UPDATE****
Haha... yup, totally missed that. On the "New International Routes of of SFO" post I see:

San Francisco to Toronto, Canada
United's new twice-daily nonstop year-round service between San Francisco and Toronto begins March 31, 2019, offering convenient connections for business and leisure travelers from throughout the western United States, Asia and the South Pacific. United currently offers more than 20 daily flights between Toronto and its hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington Dulles. In addition to Toronto, United operates daily nonstop service between San Francisco and Calgary and Vancouver. United will operate service with Boeing 737-800.

(Honestly? I just don't think of Toronto as "international" and totally glazed over it.)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2018 at 8:09 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Would be nice to see some crumbs for LAX as well! LAX-FRA - finally, anybody?
I get the sense from the new domestic routes at LAX that UA views LAX as a small ex-LAX O&D hub. If/when the hypothetical Terminal 9 gets built, I don't think that UA is going to consider adding any INTL routes until then.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I get the sense from the new domestic routes at LAX that UA views LAX as a small ex-LAX O&D hub. If/when the hypothetical Terminal 9 gets built, I don't think that UA is going to consider adding any INTL routes until then.
United have flights arriving at TBIT - what's to stop them having departures from TBIT ?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Aspen
United have flights arriving at TBIT - what's to stop them having departures from TBIT ?
UA only uses TBIT for international arrivals (because of early arrivals? I'm not exactly sure). And if UA used TBIT for departures, it wouldn't be an effective hub if you have passengers walk 20min to catch their connecting flight. In addition, it would not provide adequate terminal amenities such as UA Club, Polaris Lounge, customer assistance desks, etc.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Seeing SFO-DEL gets my hopes up for SFO-BOM. I'd take that connection in an instant from IAH as opposed to EWR-BOM, esp. in wintertime. Those arrival/depart times for SFO-DEL look fairly normal to me. (EWR-BOM is the odd one that arrives so early in the evening, honestly, even though it's really nice for getting your sleep rhythm in order.)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hirohito888
UA only uses TBIT for international arrivals (because of early arrivals? I'm not exactly sure). And if UA used TBIT for departures, it wouldn't be an effective hub if you have passengers walk 20min to catch their connecting flight. In addition, it would not provide adequate terminal amenities such as UA Club, Polaris Lounge, customer assistance desks, etc.
In addition, gate availability at TBIT would be an issue. Even without any UA flights, some TBIT flights involve riding a bus and boarding from a remote gate.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aspen
What difference does it make if UA takes off from TBIT vs Terminal 7? They're beside each other and connected airside. Sure it's a bit of a hike to go from T7 to TBIT but the *A lounge, accessible to UA flyers on domestic flights makes it well worth the while!

-James
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Interesting thought, do you think the volume is there ? I was thinking Brisbane might have a shot for people with QLD on their schedules
Perth is an interesting city , it is incredibly well served internationally especially from the eastern in bound.
SFO-PER is simply too long and too thin.

However, stats on US to BNE flights suggest VA and QF nonstops LAX-BNE serve only about 60% of the demand, leaving around 400 pax daily to connect, presumably in SYD. UA could conceivably fill a 788 (219 pax) flying SFO-BNE at least 5x/week. I suspect that since UA has no other operations at BNE, they would have to run it via contractor or work with another *A partner, maybe NZ or AC. But with like 2.5 million population around Brisbane, with another ~1 million in Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast, there's got to be a fair bit of J traffic. Add leisure travel and freight to that, and you'd think the economics would look OK for UA to operate SFO-BNE, which is now not served by any carrier.
jumpingenes likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boofer
SFO-PER is simply too long and too thin.

However, stats on US to BNE flights suggest VA and QF nonstops LAX-BNE serve only about 60% of the demand, leaving around 400 pax daily to connect, presumably in SYD. UA could conceivably fill a 788 (219 pax) flying SFO-BNE at least 5x/week. I suspect that since UA has no other operations at BNE, they would have to run it via contractor or work with another *A partner, maybe NZ or AC. But with like 2.5 million population around Brisbane, with another ~1 million in Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast, there's got to be a fair bit of J traffic. Add leisure travel and freight to that, and you'd think the economics would look OK for UA to operate SFO-BNE, which is now not served by any carrier.
I make the trip to BNE once or twice per year for work and prefer to connect at MEL. The LAX-MEL flight offers more miles, better GPU odds, and a single terminal complex for onward connections. MEL is also more reliable, weather wise.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Interesting. But wow, that seems like a long way out of your way. Flying to MEL, clearing ABF, transit to the domestic terminal, and then a 2+ hour flight back up to Brissy. Not that SYD is any easier to be honest, but there are more daily flights SYD-BNE. It might be worth comparing to a connecting flight to YVR and then the nonstop YVR-BNE. At least the single terminal at YVR makes for an easier connection.

Still reinforces the point that if BNE is your final destination, a nonstop from the US would be better.

And maybe this is a good time to mention the wistful nostalgia for when CO/UA flew into CNS...
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:19 pm

This means more INTL inbound delays due to "No Gate Space", congestion at Customs and more misconnections due to sitting on the Tarmac, United Club and Lounges will be more crowded than ever. What has not improved? Expansion of these specific areas. Until they build more space for passengers, our personal space will lessen.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MylerMary
This means more INTL inbound delays due to "No Gate Space"
Very timely.

We sat on the tarmac at SFO for 50 minutes today inbound from NRT waiting for a gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.