Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12 Dec 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12 Dec 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I doubt it will actually be historic. Probably just PR hype.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Yyc-Mel

I’ll buy a ticket, so that’s already getting traction!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i’m cringing at how much misinformation is in this thread (aircraft capabilities, route distances, a/c orders, political realities)....

my dream: return to JFK (using the forthcoming low density 763 fleet to LHR/LAX/SFO), or TATL 752 ex-BOS.

more likely: south american routes with avianca

i’ve been predicting LAX-SGN in these “new international route” threads long enough to stop crying wolf at this point (the PDEW exists!). it would also check the box of being ‘historic’.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The only thing I could think of would be tied to the 787-10. UA will pickup the keys to the first bird tomorrow (Weds) at PAE and fly it to ORD as UA2685 (1445 arrival to ORD).
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:18 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I doubt it will actually be historic. Probably just PR hype.

still don’t see ANY UA PR on any link other than an unlinked scareliners.net post
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Please Stay on topic

Some off-topic posts have been removed, let's stay on the thread topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I'm betting SFO/LAX-SGN or SFO-BKK!

The SFO/LAX-SIN would have been a great experiment to see ULH capabilities and market demand. The fact that they cancelled LAX-SIN and moved SFO-SIN leads me to think it will be SFO-SGN or SFO-BKK, both destinations shorter than SIN. And better yet, no competition as compared to SQ.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
It seems like to this point BKK is out of the cards, TG isn't doing it yet, and I'm not sure there's enough high yield there for anyone ex-US to do it. Maybe a tag on flight?

I like the GUM idea...I'd love to see prices drop to GUM, I'd like to think UA alone could be responsible for a big uptick in tourism dollars to GUM if they just added more seats. I'd love to visit GUM but the price is usually too high. I managed to re-book myself through GUM one day, but that was as good as I could get.

Perhaps UA would fly to the Philippines? I know they fly it from GUM already, but they've got the aircrafts to make it...now there might not be the high yield traffic there either, but there's certainly more Filipino diaspora than Thai no? At least up here in Canada there's a steady stream of Filipinos year round making their annual trip home and they usually don't travel alone, or light.

I'd love to see UA return to Africa, not that it makes any difference to me, but it stinks that flying to JNB is so pricey. EWR-JNB is 500 miles less (give or take) than SIN-SFO, so I can't imagine they couldn't do it. But do they think the traffic is there? I'd love for them to try and pounce on South African knowing their kinda on the ropes here, while they don't need to kill star partners, why not get your foot in the door early and fill the gap before it exists to get started?

Either way I'm excited, just cuz I always love new routes. So I'm gonna be pretty bummed if this is just DEN-FRA type routes. Those are great, adds seats, adds award potential etc, but I like seeing new destinations more than anything else. Of course this could all be prelude to a re-hubbing of Cleveland!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
EWR or IAD to JNB

EWR or IAD to JNB
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Want to see LAX/or SFO-BKK but would love EWR-BKK even it mean 16-17 hour flight
Would bring a whole new meaning to GPU!
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Would bring a whole new meaning to GPU!
haha, bet it'll be hard to clear GPU at time of booking.

I read some articles somewhere 1-2 months ago that FAA (I think) still ban all airlines from Thailand from serving flights to USA due to safety concerns so it will give United a big advantage to serve BKK with no domestic competitor. Only cross my finger that they will announce return to BKK after 4-5 years of absence.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Wouldnt be shocked if additional Polaris lounges were announced, including an IAH-sized one at Denver and a LAX-sized one in Honolulu (yes, HNL) along with official roll outs at NRT, HKG, and LHR.
I would weep in joy if plans for Polaris Lounge in NRT were confirmed, although I'm concerned of pax in NH J overcrowding it...

IAD-JNB/USA-SGN definitely sounds the most "historic," although I have no clue how plausible each are. I know many people who'll be overjoyed to have a direct Vietnam-USA flight though.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Package of routes makes it sound like there are going to be more than one announced. I’m going to go out on a limb and throw one from left field - EWR-RAK. My other way-from-left field guess is SFO-DPS on a 788, with similar frequencies as SFO-PPT.

I do agree that something bound for Africa makes the most sense of it’s being called historic...who knows?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
As a frequent business traveler to SGN and BKK, i’d Love to see direct flights to these two cities.

However, I still don’t see enough demand in the front cabin to see this happening. Much like the trice failed LAX-HKG route, SGN and BKK may remain to be wishful routes of the Flyertalk community.

i will be estatic if happens, though!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:22 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
Would love to see EWR-SIN on the new 787-10. Pain in the butt to connect in Asia somewhere everytime

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.