Wiki Posts
Search

No liquor on morning flights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
No liquor on morning flights?

My spouse was flying DEN-LAS this morning, using a CPU for an upgrade.

When a flight attendant asked what she wanted to drink during the flight, the conversation went as follows:
FA: Anything to drink?
Sp: Id like a Bloody Mary
FA: it’s gonna be just the mix. ( turns around without saying another word and returns with a glass of the tomato mix)

Based on that, she would have ordered something else, but didn’t get that opportunity.

Im not sure if this was just a bad attitude, but it’s kind of embarrassing when I book a flight on UA for a relative going on vacation, and they have to deal with bad flight attendants.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dimramon
My spouse was flying DEN-LAS this morning, using a CPU for an upgrade.

When a flight attendant asked what she wanted to drink during the flight, the conversation went as follows:
FA: Anything to drink?
Sp: Id like a Bloody Mary
FA: it’s gonna be just the mix. ( turns around without saying another word and returns with a glass of the tomato mix)

Based on that, she would have ordered something else, but didn’t get that opportunity.

Im not sure if this was just a bad attitude, but it’s kind of embarrassing when I book a flight on UA for a relative going on vacation, and they have to deal with bad flight attendants.
I would have rung the bell and asked for a glass of red wine instead. If one ingredient is missing for my first choice, I'll get my second choice.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Report this. No reason not to have your cocktail.

I have received alcohol on LAX-LAS - much shorter flight.
I have received alcohol on my 6 am ORD-SFO.
If it's not catered, just say so. No other excuse. CPU/paid makes no difference
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does not limit the service of booze by time of day, at least once airborne. If the booze cart wasn't catered, the FA should have said that. Doesn't make it right, but at least it's the reason.

As to not then asking for what she wanted, unfortunately that is on your wife.

She should report this and be very specific about what the FA said.

Last edited by Often1; Dec 11, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
There are some real provisioning challenges these days because alcohol is catered for multiple sectors. I’ve had several flights recently, both domestic and international, where they have run out of vodka or had none to begin with. This is the new way for UA catering - board less and provide less to save money.

That said, the FA should have politely explained this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Was their no alcohol at any point for anyone in the flight?
Just no vodka?

Did the FA ever provide a reason?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I could maybe understand this at an outstation, if the liquor kit was depleted and no catering is available to replenish for the downline leg, but DEN is not just a catering station; it's a Chelsea station (that is finally up and running fully). I could also understand it on an international flight, as tax is paid on alcohol consumed on the ground. Neither are the case here, so I'm going to chalk it up to the FA. Not good...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was their no alcohol at any point for anyone in the flight?
Just no vodka?

Did the FA ever provide a reason?
He didn’t provide a reason, and based on his demeanor, it seemed like he didn’t want to talk about it. She said he seemed very rude.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:47 pm

Maybe it seemed to the FA that your spouse was intoxicated?
gmt4, HNLbasedFlyer and Miggles like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
Maybe it seemed to the FA that your spouse was intoxicated?
i was debating whether or not to start this topic, because I thought someone might post this. Quite frankly, I find this insulting.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

i was debating whether or not to start this topic, because I thought someone might post this. Quite frankly, I find this insulting.
To be fair, you weren't even there.....
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec

I'm sure it wasn't intended as an insult. People are just asking questions to see what the possible explanations are...

I've probably been mistaken for intoxicated when I've been really tired in the late night/early morning before.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
To be fair, you weren't even there.....
To be fair, I know the person I’m talking about, and you don’t.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I agree with you.

My suggestion to have asked for something else is to ascertain that the FA had an attitude. More proof for the complaint. Because if it had happened to me I would complain.

My last flight that was early morning (9:00 AM, ORD-EWR), the couple behind me enjoyed a whole bottle of sparkling wine. The FA had no problem coming back to refill their glasses. I too would have enjoyed the sparkling wine but after arriving at EWR I still had a 16 hours TPAC flight.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:32 pm

I'm brainstorming reasons the FA might have behaved that way. I asked if it was a possibility that it appeared that way to the FA, since appearing intoxicated is like one of three reasons an FA would legitimately not serve someone liquor (the others being: out of liquor, or person is under 21). So it seemed reasonable to raise it as a possibility. Also appearing intoxicated to the FA is obviously different than actually being intoxicated. Could have just had the hiccups, or have been seated next to an intoxicated person, or spilled beer on your carry-on (I have done this), or any other number of reasons. Sorry that you were insulted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.