Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing partner Premium Economy on UA.com (now that UA is selling PP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Purchasing partner Premium Economy on UA.com (now that UA is selling PP)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Playing around with flights BOS-DUB and found one could now book LH PE via Google Flights on United 016 stock. Fare seems to book into R. Has anyone experienced miles posting correctly (or incorrectly for that matter) due to mapping issues on LH metal? ....
Experience on crediting are probably slim as this has just started happening in the last week.

Are you aware that for UA, R is now a PremiumPlus / Premium Economy fare class and no longer an upgrades fare class
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Experience on crediting are probably slim as this has just started happening in the last week.

Are you aware that for UA, R is now a PremiumPlus / Premium Economy fare class and no longer an upgrades fare class
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
Righto! I should have done a better search before posting hah. Yep, bye bye R. Thanks for merging into the correct thread.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Playing around with flights BOS-DUB and found one could now book LH PE via Google Flights on United 016 stock. Fare seems to book into R. Has anyone experienced miles posting correctly (or incorrectly for that matter) due to mapping issues on LH metal? I understand United.com is acting as the OTA and agent could not replicate this fare on their end which makes sense. Fare basis code is RLW26NCE. Apologize if old news...
Should post as LH N class, with 100% of the distance in PQM. I am not aware of anyone who has flown such a ticket yet, but there's little doubt this is the intended result.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Where do you see that? It's incorrect. Lufthansa Earnings on UA
Just reloaded the page and now there is PQM and PQS. Interestingly for the PE (A fare) flight it is 1.5 segments and 2X miles of what Economy (S Fare) is.... So P fares now get 1.5 miles, but PE fares on LH get 2x PQM. That is pretty sweet. 2 PE flights back and forth would go a long ways towards 1K. All for about $1200 premium on Y fare. Considering that getting to a GPU fare for US metal was about $2-300 per leg- and then you play the lottery, this is more expensive, double the PQM and getting near the price of buying PQM.

ETA: PE should be G or E class, correct, with a PQM of 150%. For some reason UA is showing as A Fare, which is probably why it is showing 2X PQMs.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Just reloaded the page and now there is PQM and PQS. Interestingly for the PE (A fare) flight it is 1.5 segments and 2X miles of what Economy (S Fare) is.... So P fares now get 1.5 miles, but PE fares on LH get 2x PQM. That is pretty sweet. 2 PE flights back and forth would go a long ways towards 1K. All for about $1200 premium on Y fare. Considering that getting to a GPU fare for US metal was about $2-300 per leg- and then you play the lottery, this is more expensive, double the PQM and getting near the price of buying PQM.
I would not rely on what you're seeing. Since it makes no sense, it's likely not true. It's probably confused; an A fare on an LH code would be first class. An A fare on a UA code is going to map to E on LH, which will earn at 150%.

Oddly, the PE fare classes don't seem to have been added to the UA earnings chart.
PushingTin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Silver
Looks like premium plus bucket for some codeshares like NH 177 (SEA <> NRT) is not showing up in United system yet.

I'd like to book this flight using United.com - is there any proper place on United website / email that I should send this request to have this addressed?

ETA - sent the feedback through the link found during flight search, hopefully fix it is fixed soon.

Last edited by maverickar15; Dec 11, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Looks like premium plus bucket for some codeshares like NH 177 (SEA <> NRT) is not showing up in United system yet.

I'd like to book this flight using United.com - is there any proper place on United website / email that I should send this request to have this addressed?

ETA - sent the feedback through the link found during flight search, hopefully fix it is fixed soon.
Looks like UA.com pulled LH PE flight bookings on 016 stock...either not showing up at all or "NOT AVAILABLE"
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It’s available for MCO-FRA
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Seems to me like they zeroed inventory (at least on SFO-FRA where I looked) until the day they're selling it on UA metal too. Should still be able to book LH native on 016.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA ExP, UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG PlatInum
I booked a multi city reservation which included a PE segment on LH (FRA-IAD), showing as a codeshare flight; (strangely enough, during my search, some of the results that included a PE segment -- all on LH -- were less expensive than the lowest regular economy fares). The fare code shows as R and the accruals summary shows 0 PQM/PQS as experienced by others in the thread.
I'm also guessing that it's using the United fare code for discounted PE and doing a lookup on the LH PQ table based on the UA fare code and comes back with the 0% conversion. In the past, I seem to recall them using the partner fare code on codeshare flights, which meant that the fare code lookup would result in the proper PQM/PQS showing up in the search results and the reservation page.

I called the MileagePlus service desk to talk to someone and hopefully get to the bottom of this. While flying PE would be better from a comfort POV, I am also after the PQM to be able to maintain status. All my travel is leisure, so I try to make every PQM count. My guess as to the issue here is that they should be using the partner fare code so that all PQ numbers update correctly. The agent I talked to didn't know what I was talking about, and thought there was nothing strange about a revenue PE fare giving 0 PQM/PQS when even the deep discount fare codes on LH give 100% PQM/PQS.

I am not interested in keeping this ticket if I won't be getting the correct PQM allotment; I'd rather pay a little more and give up the comforts of PE and get the correct number of PQMs compared to this. One would hope they may fix this by next summer, but I don't want to risk this and end up not making status at the end of the year. Do any of our UA gurus know whether UA is aware of this and they are already working on a fix? My reservation hits the 24hr mark at 10AM AZ time (12PM ET) on 10/20, so if any wisdom could be shared prior to that I'd be grateful. TIA
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would happily bet 10k PQM (or whatever is at stake here) that you will find a way to get this to credit correctly as LH N class.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephanos99
My guess as to the issue here is that they should be using the partner fare code so that all PQ numbers update correctly. The agent I talked to didn't know what I was talking about, and thought there was nothing strange about a revenue PE fare giving 0 PQM/PQS when even the deep discount fare codes on LH give 100% PQM/PQS.
Phone agents are not trained in the intricacies of the MileagePlus program and aren't likely to question the computer.

The only way you can get 100% certainty is to call LH and ask them what booking class you're in on their flight, and even then I'm not sure you'd find an agent that would be able to tell you that. This is an unfortunate aspect of codeshare flights. For several years, there had been a correlation between UA and LH fare codes for TATL travel, meaning that an L fare on a UA-coded LH flight would credit as "L", but the introduction of Premium Economy broke that equivalency because UA and LH use different fare classes for PE.

However, I agree with findark that there is a 99.9999% chance that UA R is going to map into LH N.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:57 am

Mixed information on the LH website. It still shows as R fare class, though it describes it as "Business". When I tried to select a seat, it correctly gave me the PE section to select from. Any thoughts on why it would still show R (and name it Business)? And does this change your opinions on whether it will properly eventually map into LH N?

Finally, I noticed that all PE search results on ua.com list the last domestic flight to PHX as fare class B. Isn't that an instant upgrade class or is that no longer a thing?

Thanks again for your help.

Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mixed information on the LH website. It still shows as R fare class, though it describes it as "Business". When I tried to select a seat, it correctly gave me the PE section to select from. Any thoughts on why it would still show R (and name it Business)? And does this change your opinions on whether it will properly eventually map into LH N?
Until recently, UA R was Business. LH systems haven't changed to reflect that it is now PE. It should still credit to UA as N class.

Finally, I noticed that all PE search results on ua.com list the last domestic flight to PHX as fare class B. Isn't that an instant upgrade class or is that no longer a thing?
Yes, if you are a Premier it is instant-upgrade eligible.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:36 pm

Well, for better or worse, I was sidetracked when the 24 hour mark came and went so I'm stuck with this for now (or until a substantial change to one of the flights gives me an out if something better is available then). Thanks @findark and @jsloan for your help. While a bit concerned that lh.com shows the R class, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're both right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.