Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Seat Poaching Attempt Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Seat Poaching Attempt Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UAFAM
I would not give the firm YES until I test the seat functioning properly and the TV monitor
I think the seat's askew ...

Boraxo and VRFast like this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by sgtbalski
Ended up with E+ at check in and took 21D as I anticipated a few trips to the lav after 40+oz of coffee at IAH. Turns out 21E/F were empty so I took advantage and used the space to spread out and rest after my mini red-eye from SFO.

An hour into the flight a guy in a hoodie slides into 21D as I'm sprawled out so I consolidate to 21E/F. No problem, I get it, they're packed in E- and I've got more than I could have asked for.

Dude is laying low, very nervous like an inmate who escaped onto the bus leaving San Quentin and is waiting for the prison guard to notice him. Fifteen minutes later the FA notices and lays down the "SIR WHERE IS YOUR ASSIGNED SEAT", but he keeps dragging his feet hoping that the FA will give up. Didn't happen. I lost sympathy for him as he was coming across as a certified grifter at this point. Guy flew too close to the sun and was sent back to the 29 inch pitch middle seat.

I'm kinda glad to get my row back... I've tasted the small Premier victories and I'll have no less 😀
You didn’t offer to switch seats with him? Wow. Just wow! 🥸
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Had 2F poached this evening on PHX-SFO. Dude claimed (unconvincingly) that he "thought E was the window." I wasn't really buying but didn't care enough to make him move. The lie was pretty much confirmed when we pulled into the gate and he exclaimed "D15 - but my car is in F." Anyone who knows UA's gate set-up at SFO well enough to immediately spot and understand the difference between D and F concourses knows E is an aisle on a UA narrowbody.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
What to Do, If Anything?

3-4 hour UA flight, seated in exit row (additional cost Economy Plus) window seat, middle seat empty on seat map. Person in aisle seat turned out to be father of 3 family members (mother & 2 late teenager or early 20’s children) in (Economy) row behind, mother in middle seat talking nonstop nonsense during boarding, I recall thinking “this is why I spent $$$ for quality noise cancelling headphones.”

Near the end of boarding someone sits in the middle seat, recheck seat map, see it’s still empty, ask the person politely if they’re in the correct seat, person looks at boarding pass says “yes, this is 15E”. I point at the overhead row (21) indication, say “this is row 21”, person says “wow, it goes from 15 to 21” and moves to correct seat. ~6 other empty seats in Economy Plus, ~2 other empty seats in Economy (almost full flight).

10-15 minutes after takeoff, while flight attendants are still seated, mother quickly moves to the empty middle seat next to me and seats herself turned toward her husband. I did not remove my arm from the armrest nor uncross my legs so my foot wasn’t intruding into the middle seat legroom (as I always do if the middle seat is legitimately occupied). Mom proceeded to scarf down a smelly goat cheese salad and then gorge on another smelly snack from a plastic bag in her lap while reading a book. Half an hour prior to landing she returned to her assigned seat.

I thought about several options, saying something to her, getting up and saying something to a flight attendant (out of sight and sound from them), asking to get out while she was eating her salad, ultimately did nothing (due to concerns about repercussions).

Curious what others would do or say.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
getting up and saying something to a flight attendant (out of sight and sound from them
this is exactly what I have done. You paid for that seat, she didn't and needs to be called out for it. She needs to be shamed all the way back to 44F.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
3-4 hour UA flight, seated in exit row (additional cost Economy Plus) window seat, middle seat empty on seat map. Person in aisle seat turned out to be father of 3 family members (mother & 2 late teenager or early 20’s children) in (Economy) row behind, mother in middle seat talking nonstop nonsense during boarding, I recall thinking “this is why I spent $$$ for quality noise cancelling headphones.”

Near the end of boarding someone sits in the middle seat, recheck seat map, see it’s still empty, ask the person politely if they’re in the correct seat, person looks at boarding pass says “yes, this is 15E”. I point at the overhead row (21) indication, say “this is row 21”, person says “wow, it goes from 15 to 21” and moves to correct seat. ~6 other empty seats in Economy Plus, ~2 other empty seats in Economy (almost full flight).

10-15 minutes after takeoff, while flight attendants are still seated, mother quickly moves to the empty middle seat next to me and seats herself turned toward her husband. I did not remove my arm from the armrest nor uncross my legs so my foot wasn’t intruding into the middle seat legroom (as I always do if the middle seat is legitimately occupied). Mom proceeded to scarf down a smelly goat cheese salad and then gorge on another smelly snack from a plastic bag in her lap while reading a book. Half an hour prior to landing she returned to her assigned seat.

I thought about several options, saying something to her, getting up and saying something to a flight attendant (out of sight and sound from them), asking to get out while she was eating her salad, ultimately did nothing (due to concerns about repercussions).

Curious what others would do or say.
What business is it of someone in one seat whether someone else "poaches" another seat on the plane?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:15 pm

Got poached on a BCN-IAD flight. Had the J class middle 2 seats, Row 11 on a 777-200 which is my preferred seat on that plane as it is easier to converse with my traveling partner than the toe out seats.

We usually like to get on the plane as late as possible as am carrying minimal carry-on and like to stretch my legs before getting on longer flights.

Both seats are occupied by a couple. After informing them that they were occupying our seats they refused to move stating they wanted to keep an eye on their kids. Fair enough I say where are your children seated as I could not see them from where I was standing. Well the children were college aged and seated 4 rows up in a different section of business class. Upon showing them my best unamused face and 3 more requests to vacate our seats they finally got up and moved UP to row 10, actually closer to their "kids".

I have no idea and the FA was watching this entire exchange and did nothing to remedy this situation.

edit: seat map of said plane, see version 1
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/com...html#version-1
SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by physioprof
What business is it of someone in one seat whether someone else "poaches" another seat on the plane?
Many different concerns for neighbors of seat poachers:
- Ethics, UA charges more for E+ seats, some view E to E+ poaching as "theft".
- Practicality, (sometimes) if a FA sees someone illegitimately moving from E to E+ they will explain it’s a more expensive seat and tell the person to return to their assigned seat.
- Comfort, empty middle seats allows for more personal space and FEELS like MUCH more space.
- Comfort, distance from malodorous food, clothing, body, noise and/or inappropriate behavior.
- Fairness, some people legitimately change seats immediately prior to boarding based on expected occupied and/or empty seats.
- Safety, (arguably) an empty middle seat in the exit row is safer for all others.
- et. al.

- Unfortunately, repercussions of notifying the authorities (FA), lots of crazy unpredictable people out there.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Feb 11, 2024 at 8:55 am Reason: typo correction
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:18 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I realize I am getting old when I read this thread and am shocked and appalled. I am 61 but the sense of entitlement by these folks shocks me and explains why the children of these entitled (swear word for the noun and not allowed) then act the same way. I have a couple of newer neighbors who act in similar ways. I just fail to understand how these folks think the assigned seating does not apply to them. I am assuming that the rules do not apply to them because they are "special" and I very much recognize my opinion is of no value to them.

Please know I have swapped seats with folks - like for like, or parents (of young children not teens) separated in an upgrade situation or IRROPS, but generally those interractions have been a pleasant request.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
- Safety, (arguably) an empty middle seat in the exit row is safer for all others.
Also related to safety, I’m assuming the seat poacher did not receive and acknowledge the exit row safety briefing.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Many different concerns for neighbors of seat poachers:
- Ethics, UA charges more for E+ seats, some view E to E+ poaching as "theft".
- Practicality, (sometimes) if a FA sees someone illegitimately moving from E to E+ they will explain it’s a more expensive seats and tell the person to return to their assigned seats.
- Comfort, empty middle seats allows for more personal space and FEELS like MUCH more space.
- Comfort, distance from malodorous food, clothing, body, noise and/or inappropriate behavior.
- Fairness, some people legitimately change seats immediately prior to boarding based on expected occupied and/or empty seats.
- et. al.

- Unfortunately, repercussions of notifying the authorities (FA), lots of crazy unpredictable people out there.
Real test is what you would do if the person in the middle seat next to you went up and "poached" a more desirable seat somewhere else on the plane. Would you also report?

I like an empty middle seat as much as the next FTer, but I don't have a "right" to one. Any of these reasons for reporting are just justifying trying to claim a (non-existent) right to the empty middle seat that gets filled next to you.
wrp96, econ, Imstevek and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
On a Polaris LHR-DEN flight I had 9L - which has the larger footbox - being 6'4" with us size 13 feet, i go for rows 9 or 1 always. I get on and some dude is in my seat - knowing my size, i don't force it, but this guy was a foot smaller than me. I asked and he said sat int he wrong seat - he was 10L- but didnt want ot move because he was all unpacked I should take his seat. I refused and he didn't want to budge - i went to the purser who understood and said you want your big feet to fit in. For the length of the flight, the little man was the noisiest and most demonstrative jerk in the world. I got even by taking a load more time to pack my stuff before getting off.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by iainmc
On a Polaris LHR-DEN flight I had 9L - which has the larger footbox - being 6'4" with us size 13 feet, i go for rows 9 or 1 always. I get on and some dude is in my seat - knowing my size, i don't force it, but this guy was a foot smaller than me. I asked and he said sat int he wrong seat - he was 10L- but didnt want ot move because he was all unpacked I should take his seat. I refused and he didn't want to budge - i went to the purser who understood and said you want your big feet to fit in. For the length of the flight, the little man was the noisiest and most demonstrative jerk in the world. I got even by taking a load more time to pack my stuff before getting off.
Good for you for not letting the poacher win.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:25 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by econ
Also related to safety, I’m assuming the seat poacher did not receive and acknowledge the exit row safety briefing.
Correct. It's a clear violation of FARs and the cabin crew could be written up for allowing it.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by iainmc
… i went to the purser who understood … For the length of the flight, the little man was the noisiest and most demonstrative jerk in the world. ...
Certainly unacceptable behavior on the part of “little man”. My concern is repercussions which go well beyond noisy and demonstrative to the infuriating (for all) which are addressed with no more than a slap on the wrist* to (the possibility of) assault and/or battery**.

Originally Posted by drewguy
Real test is what you would do if the person in the middle seat next to you went up and "poached" a more desirable seat somewhere else on the plane. Would you also report?...
Not at all a “real test”. Unfortunately, due to the real and valid concern for repercussions, reporting of offenses often is limited to those circumstances in which the reporter personally has been harmed and/or inconvenienced (and weighed the pros and cons of reporting) vice those in which the reporter is merely a witness to others being harmed and/or inconvenienced.

Originally Posted by drewguy
…I like an empty middle seat as much as the next FTer, but I don't have a "right" to one. Any of these reasons for reporting are just justifying trying to claim a (non-existent) right to the empty middle seat that gets filled next to you.
Disagree, the concerns listed are unrelated to any “rights”, perceived or otherwise. The “right” to an adjacent empty seat is neither stated nor implied, the convenience and comfort of an adjacent empty seat is well established. (The right to an adjacent empty seat is simple: purchase it.)

(* “slap on the wrist”, idiom, a small punishment when a more severe punishment is deserved.)

(** Interesting that there are different definitions of “assault” and “battery”, applicable laws vary by state and not all states have laws for both. “Assault and battery is a modern legal term which combines assault with the separate charge of battery. Assault refers to the wrong act of causing someone to reasonably fear imminent harm. … Battery refers to the actual wrong act of physically harming someone.”)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.