Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Seat Poaching Attempt Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Seat Poaching Attempt Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by KayakingNow
My seat was poached Monday flying out of IAH. My incoming flight was late and I thought I would misconnect, but I got the "we're holding your flight a few extra minutes" text. I arrived at the gate and was last to board and found a squatter in my J seat. Squatter/ poacher asked me to take his original seat, which I thought was actually better and I would have chosen myself if it had been available through the App. I was still tempted to say no but decided to do it since I really was getting a seat I liked more. I told the Purser I had switched because another pax was in my assigned seat. A charge to my credit card for drinks, etc., was not an issue since this was in First, but what other problems could occur? Meal selection priority/ pre-ordered meal mix-up (not an issue on this short flight)?
Only meal selection priority that I can think of in First, since not selling duty-free onboard anymore...
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Just charge it to the Underhills
I’d have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich, and a steak sandwich.
LAX-1K, tabTX, kirkwoodj and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
My seat was poached Monday flying out of IAH. My incoming flight was late and I thought I would misconnect, but I got the "we're holding your flight a few extra minutes" text. I arrived at the gate and was last to board and found a squatter in my J seat. Squatter/ poacher asked me to take his original seat, which I thought was actually better and I would have chosen myself if it had been available through the App. I was still tempted to say no but decided to do it since I really was getting a seat I liked more. I told the Purser I had switched because another pax was in my assigned seat. A charge to my credit card for drinks, etc., was not an issue since this was in First, but what other problems could occur? Meal selection priority/ pre-ordered meal mix-up (not an issue on this short flight)?
Now that would have really been standing on principle to insist on keeping your original, worse seat!
iluv2fly, kirkwoodj, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:11 am

but what other problems could occur?
I would not give the firm YES until I test the seat functioning properly and the TV monitor
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
Now that would have really been standing on principle to insist on keeping your original, worse seat!
Ah yes -the Flyertalk ethical dilemma: do I encourage future poaching behavior by saying yes, or say no and end up in a worse seat?
Old May 12, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
I had a seat poaching instance one a crj recently which ended up working to my advantage. I got upgraded to the window seat on the 2 seater side, and as I boarded I see a gentlemen sitting in my seat, telling me if I wouldn’t mind Sitting in the solo seat so he could seat next to his wife 🥳
perkele likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
I had a seat poaching instance one a crj recently which ended up working to my advantage. I got upgraded to the window seat on the 2 seater side, and as I boarded I see a gentlemen sitting in my seat, telling me if I wouldn’t mind Sitting in the solo seat so he could seat next to his wife 🥳
I would be tempted to say no just because he rudely sat in the seat without waiting to ask.

But in the end I would probably take the solo seat.
chavala and Aussienarelle like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Had a dude in my economy aisle seat the other day. I just looked at him and he got up and said, "Oh, I thought you weren't coming." (it was late in the boarding process)

He moved to a middle seat behind me where he was wedged in a by a POS. I did not feel sorry for him...
sgtbalski likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I would be tempted to say no just because he rudely sat in the seat without waiting to ask.

If it's the same row, that's one of those situations where you're getting an objectively better seat (and even if it's a different row, unless you're gaining or losing the bulkhead), so I'd be a lot more forgiving.
8MiHi and perkele like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

The solo sets are Goldilocks, the O-negative of seats... Prefer an aisle? Works! Prefer a window? You got one! Prefer solitude? Do I have a seat for you!

That is probably the only poach where I am unlikely to refuse on principle (solo bulkhead would be highly dependnent on convenient overhead bin space and my desire [or lack of] to work in flight)
perkele and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
...He moved to a middle seat behind me where he was wedged in a by a POS...
I was thinking of the other POS acronym and wondering how you came to the conclusion that he/she behind you was a POS. "Piece of...." vs "Person of..."
Old May 18, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The solo sets are Goldilocks, the O-negative of seats... Prefer an aisle? Works! Prefer a window? You got one! Prefer solitude? Do I have a seat for you!
I generally dislike aisle seats because I don't like getting hit in the knee/elbow/head by every person and/or their bag and/or the beverage cart. So they're not only positive. (I do select them when travelling alone, despite that.)
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The solo sets are Goldilocks seats...
Not if you prefer to be wedged in by a POS.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Just observed this on UA1682 SJO-IAH. A group of people boarded, and 2-3 of them just helped themselves to whatever seats they wanted up front (they were ticketed up front, but not sitting in their selected seats) and clogged the aisles trying to exchange with other people. Then, a big guy walks up, sees somebody in his seat 1F. The person in 1F says "Hi, would you mind swapping seats because (((reasons that really don't matter)))?" Mr. 1F loudly says "yeah I mind! I sit in the front row, period." FA comes back, sees what's going on, tells everybody to get in their assigned seats, and then boarding happened pretty quickly.

Gotta remember that. So simple. So clear. "Yeah I mind!"
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: UAMP
Ended up with E+ at check in and took 21D as I anticipated a few trips to the lav after 40+oz of coffee at IAH. Turns out 21E/F were empty so I took advantage and used the space to spread out and rest after my mini red-eye from SFO.

An hour into the flight a guy in a hoodie slides into 21D as I'm sprawled out so I consolidate to 21E/F. No problem, I get it, they're packed in E- and I've got more than I could have asked for.

Dude is laying low, very nervous like an inmate who escaped onto the bus leaving San Quentin and is waiting for the prison guard to notice him. Fifteen minutes later the FA notices and lays down the "SIR WHERE IS YOUR ASSIGNED SEAT", but he keeps dragging his feet hoping that the FA will give up. Didn't happen. I lost sympathy for him as he was coming across as a certified grifter at this point. Guy flew too close to the sun and was sent back to the 29 inch pitch middle seat.

I'm kinda glad to get my row back... I've tasted the small Premier victories and I'll have no less 😀

Last edited by sgtbalski; Oct 25, 2022 at 12:39 pm Reason: Spacing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.