Strange Seat Poaching Attempt

Old Dec 15, 18, 10:04 am

If you're so experienced, I don't see why you would forget what door you are using? I guess we shouldn't make fun of new travelers for making the same mistake.
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:08 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.2MM UC | SPG Plat | Hertz 5*PC
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Aye. As an inexperienced flyer one might make such a faux pas through lack of knowledge. As an experienced flyer one might make such a mistake through some small, unexpected change in one's common routine.
I fly 125-150 legs a year and I am good for at least 2-3 experiences of sitting in the wrong seat. This takes the form of two mental lapses 1) I usually book 2E and I will sometimes sit in 2E even if I should remember that I am in some other seat on that flight. Or, on 757s when boarding from the middle I will sometimes mess up counting "down"/"up" on row numbers and sit in the row behind where I'm supposed to. Fairly embarrassing but it happens frequently enough that I can't claim that it is a one off experience.
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
If you're so experienced, I don't see why you would forget what door you are using? I guess we shouldn't make fun of new travelers for making the same mistake.
From within the jetbridge it can be non-obvious to which door you are being funnelled; and on the 77w, the rear J cabin is so long it can look quite similar to the front J cabin.
findark and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Boarding through 1L is pretty rare on the 77W, and a lot of veteran travelers don't pay that much attention anymore. 9A is always the first seat on the right from the door; maybe you also happen to be on the phone, or thinking about something else, etc. Really easy to end up in 1A and not notice the difference right away.
jsloan and chavala like this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite
Uh. Don't planes have numbers that tell you what row you're in? How is that confusing?
Originally Posted by kilo View Post
For the routine flyer you enter the cabin and check the seat numbers.

An experienced user of that cabin might not need to check the seat number. They instinctively know their seat is say the first seat on the right after they enter. The mistake in this case was not realising which door they had used to enter the cabin.
I've made this mistake myself. Telling which row is which is easy but I've had spates of travel with little time between trips and coming on the connector after a red-eye, I've remembered my seat number from a different flight a couple times. Embarrassing but it wasn't an intentional seat poach and no harm done.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 12:17 pm

I've definitely sat in the row corresponding to my gate number by accident. I'm in 32A at gate 33, sit in 33A by accident.
Old Jan 8, 19, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Snipped
One of the oddest things about this is that the young guy had all the trappings of wealth; $1,500- designer sneakers, a $5,000- designer leather jacket, a Blancpain tourbillon watch, etc. So, from appearances, he could have afforded to buy a J ticket-Very strange.
If they were real, perhaps they were also obtained dishonestly
Old Jan 8, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
One of the oddest things about this is that the young guy had all the trappings of wealth; $1,500- designer sneakers, a $5,000- designer leather jacket, a Blancpain tourbillon watch, etc. So, from appearances, he could have afforded to buy a J ticket-Very strange.
It's also possible that after blowing his $$$ on an ostentatious wardrobe he could not afford the price of a J ticket.
DJ_Iceman and Cotumely like this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by t5campbell View Post
I had a flight from LAX to IAH a few months back. I am E+ aisle seat. A "guy" came up and asked if I would switch with him so he could sit with his wife who was in the middle seat next to me. He said his sit was just in front of me on the aisle. I switched with him no big deal. As boarding was finishing a gentlemen came up and stated that was his seat. I looked at his ticket and it actually was. The "guy" actually had a middle seat next to him. He looked at me like oops I made a mistake with an I got you grin on his face. His face turned south when I rang the bell for the attendant saying he was in my seat. Luckily everyone around minus his wife told the attendant what he tried to do.
I saw the exact same thing happen (I was actually in a sort of similar situation (where I was planning on giving up a 'better' seat (we had 5 seats in a 3x3 across - 3 seats on one side, and then the aisle/window on the other. I planned to give up the aisle to the middle seat occupant.) The row behind us had one person (I think it was a teen-ish kid) sitting in the middle seat on the left, with dad camping in the aisle seat on the right. When the left aisle passenger approached, he asked if they could switch so he could sit with the kid, the aisle passenger agreed (not realizing that dad was not actually sitting in his own seat), only to be realize she agreed to switch to the middle after the fact. Ugh, I was SO mad for her sake.
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:54 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
I saw the exact same thing happen (I was actually in a sort of similar situation (where I was planning on giving up a 'better' seat (we had 5 seats in a 3x3 across - 3 seats on one side, and then the aisle/window on the other. I planned to give up the aisle to the middle seat occupant.) The row behind us had one person (I think it was a teen-ish kid) sitting in the middle seat on the left, with dad camping in the aisle seat on the right. When the left aisle passenger approached, he asked if they could switch so he could sit with the kid, the aisle passenger agreed (not realizing that dad was not actually sitting in his own seat), only to be realize she agreed to switch to the middle after the fact. Ugh, I was SO mad for her sake.
It just reinforces the need to check the seat's pledger before accepting the request
Xyzzy and narvik like this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
canít you just change your mind for this or any other reason ?
Old Jan 9, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF & *A & Marriot Gold, OW Sap, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry

i saw this happen from San Fran to Houston , I was in the row opposite

the guy who switched seats was duped into thinking he was getting an aisle but then some one else came and said ď youíre in my seatĒ

guy that swapped gathered all his belongings , went to the FA , handed her his boarding pass , not sure what he said , but the FA came down and removed the seat swapper from his seat

total class on the guy, no drama just got his seat back

DJ_Iceman, drewguy and Cotumely like this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet View Post

i saw this happen from San Fran to Houston , I was in the row opposite

the guy who switched seats was duped into thinking he was getting an aisle but then some one else came and said ď youíre in my seatĒ

guy that swapped gathered all his belongings , went to the FA , handed her his boarding pass , not sure what he said , but the FA came down and removed the seat swapper from his seat

total class on the guy, no drama just got his seat back

This seems like the obvious action to take!
Xyzzy and Jimmie Jet like this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 5:20 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles View Post
This seems like the obvious action to take!
Exactly.
Jimmie Jet likes this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
On a short domestic flight currently in Paid F, open F seats after boarding.. After take off, captain comes on and asks flight attendants to sit for turbulence...Passenger in Y, makes the move up to open F.
I politely inform flight attendant when they are released, and she proceeds to do nothing.
Guess I donít need to pay for F anymore, Iíll just come up and take it?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: