Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

You know you travel UA too much when ...

Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by LIH
Last year I was given one of those "thank you for 30 years of loyalty" cards by a GS rep at SEA on my anniversary. I leaned in and said quietly to her "the fun part is I'm 31 years old!". Grateful to my parents for the foresight and you better believe I will be following suit.
^

My hope is that when they graduate high school, they will have enough miles to enjoy a hell of a gap year traveling the world. Both of my kids had their MP numbers before their SSNs, so this was borne out of my experience. Priorities!!!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Recently, I was so puzzled at seeing a FA in a mainline UA uniform flying (as a passenger) on a UA Express flight to Ottawa (which has no mainline service), that I had to ask her what was up. I'm sure very few people would have noticed the anomaly. Turns out she commutes from YOW, which is crazy.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
When someone tells you he flew XXX-YYY-ZZZ on United. And your first response, without even checking any references, is "You either got the wrong airline or the wrong airport. UA doesn't even fly to YYY. Did you mean AAA instead?" And his response is "Oh, right. We transferred at AAA."
mdbe likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
When your friends on Facebook post giving away expiring GPU's for Jan, and you swiftly reply "you can extend them to April - DM me" to all of them.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:28 pm

I have a new one I just noticed today:

My phone generates a list of "frequent contacts" for easy dialing. Number 1 is my fiancee. Number 2 is the United Premier Line.

Last edited by sincx; Jan 6, 2019 at 10:56 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2M
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Isn't everyone's?
I traded "marimba" for Rhapsody years ago.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
My alarm tone on my phone is Rhapsody in Blue (nobody ever calls me, I don't need a ringtone).
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When you have to correct other passengers on the parking shuttle who ask to be dropped off at the United International terminal after it comes out in conversation they are traveling to a city UA doesnt fly to non-stop out of SFO and break the news they must have a connection they dont know about.

The progression from disbelief about how I could know such a thing off the top of my head to shock when they realize Im right and the argument that ensues over who screwed up between what I assume are newly weds is priceless 😂

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence
When you have to correct other passengers on the parking shuttle who ask to be dropped off at the United International terminal after it comes out in conversation they are traveling to a city UA doesnt fly to non-stop out of SFO and break the news they must have a connection they dont know about.

The progression from disbelief about how I could know such a thing off the top of my head to shock when they realize Im right and the argument that ensues over who screwed up between what I assume are newly weds is priceless 😂

While I'd feel bad for their situation it might be interesting to watch it unfold. I would attempt to be helpful.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Any time you look at a digital clock and the time is 7:38, 7:39, 3:19, 3:20, 7:52, etc., and all you can think about is which seat you would pick on that aircraft.
Heck, Ive trekked an extra 500 yards in a parking lot when I discovered a spot numbered 752. I walked back to the car when I realized there might be a 789there wasnt, so I had to settle for 752. 753 was up against a ditch: I just couldnt park there. The benefit of have FF syndrome is that the car was so far from the hotel, nobody else was parked nearby, so I had no problem finding it. When I was leaving, I noticed someone parked in 744, another lonely spot. I felt validated.
Xyzzy, threeoh, findark and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:47 pm

You Know You Fly UA Too Often When...

I thought I'd share my list of tells when you know you've flown UA too often.

You know you fly UA too often when:
  1. When you complain to the FA that your seat isn't E+ only to realize you're on AC
  2. You get yelled at by a LH agent for boarding in zone 1 as a UA Gold
  3. You attempt to sign in to United wifi whilst on Norwegian
  4. You keep going to Terminal 2 of LHR even though you're flying BA today!
  5. You can look at the photo of a meal tray and instantly identify if it's a UA flight or not (i.e. I don't see the the blue globe pattern on the utensil packet)
  6. You wear your UA shirt on a day you aren't even travelling!
  7. You try to access Channel 9
  8. You are frustrated you aren't on the CPU for your domestic flight then realize you're flying AC
  9. You keep looking for the Premier Access lane but can't find it at ZRH
I could keep going on ad infinitum but would love to hear your stories on this!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Uhh... you have a UA shirt? That should be #5 on the list.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:58 am

When you spend more time getting the exact right flight segment, than you do flying the segment.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:03 am

One more:
  • When you check Manage Reservations/Trip Options every hour, just in case a ToD appears

Originally Posted by brp1264
Uhh... you have a UA shirt? That should be #5 on the list.
Uhh I've got several UA shirts, a towel, baseball cap, etc. Needless to say, when I fly UA the FAs know how my bread is buttered

Originally Posted by brantcooper
When you spend more time getting the exact right flight segment, than you do flying the segment.
More to the point: When you spend more time SDCing into a CPU eligible segment you're more likely to clear than you do flying the segment in E+ which ends up happening anyways
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I thought I'd share my list of tells when you know you've flown UA too often.

You know you fly UA too often when:
  1. When you complain to the FA that your seat isn't E+ only to realize you're on AC
  2. You get yelled at by a LH agent for boarding in zone 1 as a UA Gold
  3. You attempt to sign in to United wifi whilst on Norwegian
  4. You keep going to Terminal 2 of LHR even though you're flying BA today!
  5. You can look at the photo of a meal tray and instantly identify if it's a UA flight or not (i.e. I don't see the the blue globe pattern on the utensil packet)
  7. You try to access Channel 9
  8. You are frustrated you aren't on the CPU for your domestic flight then realize you're flying AC
  9. You keep looking for the Premier Access lane but can't find it at ZRH
I could keep going on ad infinitum but would love to hear your stories on this!

Safe Travels,

James
1 & 3 & 8. Do you really mistake a non-UA flight for an UA flight? Also, occasionally, you would get upgraded on AC as *G
2. *G gets priority boarding on LH, so not sure about the yelling agent

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.