Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

You know you travel UA too much when ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are many other locations that don't use the IATA code when referring to their local airports.
Yes but how many refer to their local airport by a three-letter abbreviation that doesn't correspond with the IATA code?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
.....I am immune to 95% of the circumstances that FTers whine about on this forum.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes but how many refer to their local airport by a three-letter abbreviation that doesn't correspond with the IATA code?
When your airport is a PIA to get to....

David
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm surprised that, like most places with only one major one, it isn't simply "the airport".
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are many other locations that don't use the IATA code when referring to their local airports.
E.g., HKIA for HKG.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
HND is technically Tokyo, and some airports displays will actually show flights to HND as "Tokyo" and NRT as "Narita" or "Tokyo-Narita". You can also use TYO like with LON to refer to/or search for multiple airports in the area.

It really bothers me when people refer to DEN as DIA... I feel like telling those people - that's not the airport code! Don't confuse people!
It's even faster to just say "Denver" instead of "D-I-A" and people would still get what you're talking about - "I'm connecting in Denver" instead of "I'm connecting in D-I-A".
You have obviously never lived in CO or spent much time in the area. The airport is referred to locally as DIA.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:00 pm

You wear your UA t-shirt on an AC flight and when the FA asks why you're wearing it you tell them, "Isn't this United flight 8292 with service to Toronto?" You then proceed to use one of your CO drink certificates to purchase a drink and are surprised when the FA doesn't accept it, "But...the coupon doesn't have an expiration date on it!" You attempt to tune to channel 9 but realize the IFE is in French.

-James
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lynnie_Bee
You have obviously never lived in CO or spent much time in the area. The airport is referred to locally as DIA.
Grew up in the Denver area - back then Stapleton (STA, I think?) was the airport. Denver International Airport opened in 1995, and it was called DIA locally from the very beginning. I don't know that I've ever heard anybody in Colorado call it anything other than DIA. To this day I think it is called exclusively DIA by Coloradans.

I live in east Asia now, usually transiting through SFO on my TPACs. Don't think I've ever heard DEN called DIA outside of Colorado or at least by another passenger on a DEN-bound flight.

Hopefully that was perfectly clear
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by threeoh
PTI (Piedmont Triad International) instead of GSO, although that's usually people who live in High Point or Winston-Salem (NC) who don't like referring to their airport as the "Greensboro Airport." The signs near the airport say PTI. Personally, I write GSO every time I want to abbreviate Greensboro.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
You know you arrange UA travel too much when...

...your spouse, for the first time in your marriage, mentions she found a flight with R/PZ space and you jump for joy because you now understand each other just a little bit more.
jsloan, windhund and findark like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
You can remember your MP #, but not your Social Security # or spouse's birthday......
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
You prioritize getting your newborn a MileagePlus number before a social security number.
brp1264, findark and LIH like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:32 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by big V
You prioritize getting your newborn a MileagePlus number before a social security number.
Last year I was given one of those "thank you for 30 years of loyalty" cards by a GS rep at SEA on my anniversary. I leaned in and said quietly to her "the fun part is I'm 31 years old!". Grateful to my parents for the foresight and you better believe I will be following suit.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Grew up in the Denver area - back then Stapleton (STA, I think?) was the airport. Denver International Airport opened in 1995, and it was called DIA locally from the very beginning. I don't know that I've ever heard anybody in Colorado call it anything other than DIA. To this day I think it is called exclusively DIA by Coloradans.
Stapleton was DEN before the new airport opened and the code was transferred.

I think I spend too much time in the app because one time when looking up a friend's spot on an upgrade list I randomly spotted another friend of mine on the same flight so I introduced them.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by IMissThe747

I live in east Asia now, usually transiting through SFO on my TPACs. Don't think I've ever heard DEN called DIA outside of Colorado or at least by another passenger on a DEN-bound flight.

Hopefully that was perfectly clear
Thank you for not calling us Coloradoans and properly calling us Coloradans. But yes its DIA to all of here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.