Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

You know you travel UA too much when ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA names a plane after you
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
1) you have a weekly conversation with Bruce.
2) you check your MP account a few times a day when you haven’t had any activities for weeks.
3) sit next to Jeff van gundy twice in in one month
4) have a collection of personalized business cards by UA pilots thanking you
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
You become a moderator in the FT UA forum

You actually fully understand how the upgrade list works
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
This is why I love you all.
No matter how bad I get, I know there are many many people who are much more weird than me.
ExplorerWannabe and atword like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:36 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
1. when you refer to cities (including the one you live in) primarily by their airport codes.

2. you think about flight timing at the end of December or early January in terms of max benefit for 1K qualification.
Wait. This isn't... you know... normal? I thought everybody did this.

(Okay, maybe spending half my time in ABQ is part of it. Everybody refers to it that way. Even people who've never flown in their life. It's not like MCO or YYZ or something.)
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by QBK
Wait. This isn't... you know... normal? I thought everybody did this.

(Okay, maybe spending half my time in ABQ is part of it. Everybody refers to it that way. Even people who've never flown in their life. It's not like MCO or YYZ or something.)
I've had strange looks when I've referred to Denver as DEN or the Bay Area as SFO etc.. In some cities in Asia it's a little more complex, since NRT isn't exactly in central Tokyo, and TPE is in Taoyuan not Taipei, etc. But I guess when I think about places I might go, the most immediate next thought is often the routing I'd prefer to take to get there.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:08 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton
when UA changes the flight number on a route you've flown for years and it bothers you.... for months, if not years (UA14/15 for me; if UA444 is ever changed, i'll have to seek therapy).
UA 1/2 for me (ORD<>HNL) back in the day.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've had strange looks when I've referred to Denver as DEN or the Bay Area as SFO etc.. In some cities in Asia it's a little more complex, since NRT isn't exactly in central Tokyo, and TPE is in Taoyuan not Taipei, etc. But I guess when I think about places I might go, the most immediate next thought is often the routing I'd prefer to take to get there.
And neither DEN (or is it DIA) or SFO are anywhere near the city center either. Most people would look at me very oddly if I said "I'm going to SFO for the weekend" In a message, I'd say SF.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
When you have a sufficient number of United napkins, from various gifted bottles, to throw a dinner party of 12.

Originally Posted by wxguy
2. On a rainy day, the sidewalk vendor in NYC says, "Umbrella?" and you reply, "De nada!"
{{BUZZ}} The correct answer is "Thanks Oscar!"
jsloan and wxguy like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
1. The international purser says, "You again?"

Originally Posted by halls120
Back between 2008-2012 I was 1K, flying frequently to the UK and Germany. I actually had the Purser say that to me once. We both laughed.
My version of this is when I did a MR EWR-TXL on PMCO. At Berlin Tegal, you exit the jetway into a pod and immediately go through passport control before entering the airport proper, I had an hour or so to kill before getting back on the same aircraft to return to EWR so I went into the airport and had some breakfast.. When I went back to the pod though passport control, the Passport agent was the same guy who had essentially swiveled around in his seat to a window on the opposite side of his booth, When I presented my passport and boarding card, he looks and looks and looks....and then says "Herr hughw, you didn't like Berlin?"
jsloan, United747 and findark like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I still think of Denver as DIA ...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hughw
1. The international purser says, "You again?"

My version of this is when I did a MR EWR-TXL on PMCO. At Berlin Tegal, you exit the jetway into a pod and immediately go through passport control before entering the airport proper, I had an hour or so to kill before getting back on the same aircraft to return to EWR so I went into the airport and had some breakfast.. When I went back to the pod though passport control, the Passport agent was the same guy who had essentially swiveled around in his seat to a window on the opposite side of his booth, When I presented my passport and boarding card, he looks and looks and looks....and then says "Herr hughw, you didn't like Berlin?"
I recall a similar story someone posted to FT where the security officer said "you were only in [major city] for N hours?!" and the traveler said something dry like "that was long enough"
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I still think of Denver as DIA ...
I see DIA everywhere -- like on taxis offering "$30 to DIA" or "new location at DIA" or whatever.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:55 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
In some cities in Asia it's a little more complex, since NRT isn't exactly in central Tokyo
HND is technically Tokyo, and some airports displays will actually show flights to HND as "Tokyo" and NRT as "Narita" or "Tokyo-Narita". You can also use TYO like with LON to refer to/or search for multiple airports in the area.
Originally Posted by threeoh
I see DIA everywhere -- like on taxis offering "$30 to DIA" or "new location at DIA" or whatever.
It really bothers me when people refer to DEN as DIA... I feel like telling those people - that's not the airport code! Don't confuse people!
It's even faster to just say "Denver" instead of "D-I-A" and people would still get what you're talking about - "I'm connecting in Denver" instead of "I'm connecting in D-I-A".
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
... It really bothers me when people refer to DEN as DIA... I feel like telling those people - that's not the airport code! Don't confuse people!
It's even faster to just say "Denver" instead of "D-I-A" and people would still get what you're talking about - "I'm connecting in Denver" instead of "I'm connecting in D-I-A".
The DEN airport name is Denver International Airport and locals refer to it as DIA.

There are many other locations that don't use the IATA code when referring to their local airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.