Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance on UA-EW connection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Baggage Allowance on UA-EW connection

UA.com is trying to sell me a fare SFO-LAS-CGN, with LAS-CGN on EW. The baggage allowance on the UA fare is 0 bags, but as UA Gold they allow 2 free. Does this mean I get to fly with 2 free bags on EW too or will they try to collect baggage fees from me as I am above the ticketed allowance and EW is not in *A (single ticket)?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Per DOT rule, baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first flight applies to the entire itinerary.

UA allowance for SFO-LAS, when flying SFO-CGN, depends on which economy fare you buy. Could be 0 bags or 1 bag free.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Per DOT rule, baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first flight applies to the entire itinerary.
I know, the marketing carrier of the first flight is UA and the standard baggage allownace is 0 bags. I get free bags only due to status. I'm just asking if EW will demand payment for bags already checked in by UA, as they are not *A and don't need to honor elite benefits.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I know, the marketing carrier of the first flight is UA and the standard baggage allownace is 0 bags. I get free bags only due to status. I'm just asking if EW will demand payment for bags already checked in by UA, as they are not *A and don't need to honor elite benefits.
If the bags are checked all the way through, they aren't allowed to collect additional baggage fees. You won't even see your bags until you arrive. However, if you have a return flight, you will get only the allowance of your underlying fare on that one; since they're not *A, you won't get an extra allowance for being *G.
Often1 and findark like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your baggage allowance for this ticket is the base allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment. Presuming that you are correct, that is 0 bags. That will be your allowance for all remaining segments. On UA, you will have 2 bags as *G, but that is not part of your base allowance.

However, on a single ticket your bags will be checked SFO-CGN and you won't be checking them in with EW. On the return, as others note, you will have the 0 bag allowance as well and will pay whatever it is that EW charges for a 1st and a 2nd bag.

It is worth noting that if you are flying any of those EW segments on a LH-operated flight, LH will recognize your *G status..
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just noting the numbers here -- the allowance at the counter in SFO will be 3x70 lbs for a UA Gold. Any time the bags need to be re-checked at an EW counter (none if not overnighting in LAS and this is a one-way ticket) would have no free bags and be charged according to their rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.