Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD vs EWR < 1 hour mileage run connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD vs EWR < 1 hour mileage run connection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:45 pm

Is buying up an option?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by milesunited
Is buying up an option?
You mean buy-up to first class? I'm planning on flying first class otherwise I can't hit the required 8100 PQM with coach.

If you meant buying up PQM...I don't know how much 8100 PQM will cost to buy!!!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Argh...EWR > SEA direct F availability opened up but the connection window is even narrower... I get in at 7 AM and return flight leaves at 7:30 AM!!

This is just asking for trouble, right?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Argh...EWR > SEA direct F availability opened up but the connection window is even narrower... I get in at 7 AM and return flight leaves at 7:30 AM!!

This is just asking for trouble, right?

As mentioned above, trouble can be your friend. I myself would book as tight a connection as possible. My thought process is, if there was a delay, I would try to reroute on a premium transcon product.

Is the direct one of the 752 lie flats? If so, I would consider that as well. What would that make your itinerary? Redye to Newark followed by a return 30 minutes later? Quick check on here I found the MCT for EWR for D-D at 30 minutes so its legal. Also wanted to double check you can book both flights on one ticket. It's not a requirement but would definitely help if there is any hiccups.

Last edited by BThumme; Dec 4, 2018 at 2:38 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BThumme
As mentioned above, trouble can be your friend. I myself would book as tight a connection as possible. Is the direct one of the 752 lie flats? If so, I would definitely opt for that.
Yes, the RETURN portion (EWR->SEA) would be the 752 lie-flat, so I'm also very tempted because of it. SEA->EWR is just a 738.

ETA - Yes, both on single PNR
SEA>EWR UA1695 11:00 PM > 7:00 AM
EWR>SEA UA280 7:30 AM > 10:42 AM

ETA2 - Ok, I pulled the trigger, I will update you if this works out or not!
BThumme likes this.

Last edited by maverickar15; Dec 4, 2018 at 2:50 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I actually try to sleep on these redeyes, and it looks like EWR is running about 15 minutes longer, which would make a big difference to me.

I think the only point in favor of IAD would be if you had a long enough connection to take a shower at one of the LH or TK lounges. Flying back clean vs. flying back lie-flat, hmmm.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by maverickar15
Yes, the RETURN portion (EWR->SEA) would be the 752 lie-flat, so I'm also very tempted because of it. SEA->EWR is just a 738.

ETA - Yes, both on single PNR
SEA>EWR UA1695 11:00 PM > 7:00 AM
EWR>SEA UA280 7:30 AM > 10:42 AM

ETA2 - Ok, I pulled the trigger, I will update you if this works out or not!
Great! That's just the start of what you have to do. Are you in discounted biz (P), or another fare? You also need to (not now, but closer to fly date) look at possible backup options in case you are running a little behind for whatever reason. I'd definitely have an option or two EWR-SFO/LAX-SEA.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Great! That's just the start of what you have to do. Are you in discounted biz (P), or another fare? You also need to (not now, but closer to fly date) look at possible backup options in case you are running a little behind for whatever reason.
Yes, I'm on discounted class (Z) on both legs.

Looks like there are a bunch of stop-overs at ORD/DEN or premium transcons through SFO.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I certainly hope your inbound to EWR is on time and the departing gate is close by. As noted, UA may not view this as a protected connection (i.e., because you are originating your return at EWR and you may not meet the MCT). Good luck.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA MM
As mentioned above, trouble can be your friend. I myself would book as tight a connection as possible. My thought process is, if there was a delay, I would try to reroute on a premium transcon product.

Is the direct one of the 752 lie flats? If so, I would consider that as well. What would that make your itinerary? Redye to Newark followed by a return 30 minutes later? Quick check on here I found the MCT for EWR for D-D at 30 minutes so its legal. Also wanted to double check you can book both flights on one ticket. It's not a requirement but would definitely help if there is any hiccups.
Trouble can be your friend in these cases but perhaps not this one. UA might not consider this a "connection" but rather a return.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Trouble can be your friend in these cases but perhaps not this one. UA might not consider this a "connection" but rather a return.
UA still has an obligation to get OP to his final destination. The only difference would be if say OP was flying SEA-EWR-IAH-SEA, and SEA-EWR was late and UA chose to reroute direct back to SEA. OP will be taken care of. If this were an issue, UA would not sell the ticket.

Last edited by BThumme; Dec 6, 2018 at 6:27 am
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall
I certainly hope your inbound to EWR is on time and the departing gate is close by. As noted, UA may not view this as a protected connection (i.e., because you are originating your return at EWR and you may not meet the MCT). Good luck.
The MCT for a domestic-to-domestic connection at EWR on UA is 30 minutes.

The concern that I would have is that it can be difficult to find first-class inventory on the day of departure, and OP is clearly trying not to spend the day waiting around an airport. IMO, the downside risk of the EWR connection is pretty severe.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
The MCT for a domestic-to-domestic connection at EWR on UA is 30 minutes.

The concern that I would have is that it can be difficult to find first-class inventory on the day of departure, and OP is clearly trying not to spend the day waiting around an airport. IMO, the downside risk of the EWR connection is pretty severe.
I would agree if it was EWR-SEA but if the OP is willing to accept SFO/LAX/IAH/DEN/ORD/IAD connections ... usually there is an F seat somewhere somehow unless there is major system-wide irop going on
BThumme likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.