Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD vs EWR < 1 hour mileage run connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

I'm trying to do a mileage run to keep Gold status next year. I only have this weekend for travel (booked with family visits all other weekends) and settled that doing a transcon trip in first class should give me the amount of miles I need (~8100 PQM) in the shortest amount of time. (~12 hours). I'd like to spend time with my wife on the weekend as much as possible so I'd like to avoid a bunch of coach hops to hit 8000 miles.

So my flight itinerary looks like this
(Option 1)
SEA > IAD; 11:10 pm redeye
1:30 hour layover
IAD > ORD > SEA 12:57 pm

(Option 2)
SEA > EWR; 11:00 pm redeye
40 min layover
EWR > ORD > SEA 12:57 pm

(Option 3) <<< Went with this
SEA > EWR; 11:00 pm redeye
30 min layover
EWR > SEA; 10:42 am (752 lie-flat)

The ORD > SEA segment in the return leg is identical. The price for round trip is also identical.
The only real difference is that EWR > ORD leg I get to sit in lay-flat 772 but it is only for two hours so nothing big.

Not that I'm going to stay in the terminals for long...but which one do you prefer? I have never been to EWR, and it has been a while since I was at IAD.

Last edited by maverickar15; Dec 4, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:09 pm

IAD is less prone to ATC delays than EWR.
windhund and jsloan like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Also, that 40 min turnaround in EWR is pretty short. The OP would have to check with UA but I suspect it's not considered a connection so the consequences of "mis-connecting" (likely a misnomer) are greater.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:33 pm

I would likewise want more than 40 minutes at EWR. However, if you take IAD, how much time do you have at ORD?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windhund
I would likewise want more than 40 minutes at EWR. However, if you take IAD, how much time do you have at ORD?
In both cases (EWR to ORD / IAD to ORD) I have around 55 minutes to take the flight to SEA.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I would take IAD over EWR because of the potential but also frequent weather and ATC delays at EWR.....
artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Ordinarily I would agree, but there's a threat of a snowstorm this weekend (Dec. 8-9) in the Washington area. Appears not likely to be an issue, and IAD handles modest weather okay, but something to keep in mind.

Also, if you have longer time during the turn you can hop over to Terminal B and enjoy the LH or TK lounges on *G privileges.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
IAD is by far the better choice than EWR. Longer turnaround time, fewer ATC and ground congestion delays. Further, even if you have less time in ORD for your connection from IAD, this is clearly a connection where UA will need to put you on the next plane to SEA -- unlike your turnaround at EWR where it will just seem to UA that you are late arriving for the origination of your return flight.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I would choose any UA hub with 1:40 turn over any other UA hub with a 0:40 turn. Even if the turnaround times were equal though, I concur with the other responses that IAD is the better choice here.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I absolutely refuse to book any connection through EWR that is under 2 hours. That’s on a good day. In the winter, the potential for storms should increase any risk. UA will let you do it, of course, but even on a good day, a slight puff if wind can send EWR into ATC delays.

Aside from that, and I know there are probably people who will disagree with me here, but as bad as the IAD terminals are, honestly, I would rather connect through there than EWR C (not to mention, A). EWR has stuffed concourses with sushi bars, etc. where people should be able to walk - it’s a real PITA to try to get down a given hallway, unless its really off peak times. Plus the OTG concessions are just horrible and way overpriced. Just my opinion.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by drewguy
Ordinarily I would agree, but there's a threat of a snowstorm this weekend (Dec. 8-9) in the Washington area.
On an MR - weather delays in your favor are a good thing. You can always ask for original routing credit if you get re-routed.
Kmxu, Santander and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Just to add on to the majority, I would not think twice and grab the longer connection time in IAD. Even if the weather is perfect, EWR is more prone to delays and your two terminals could, quite possibly, be a long hike apart. 40 minutes, though certainly doable, is pushing it to make that connection. IAD is easier from two mainlines as you will stay in the same (albeit very long) hallway from C-D.

Plus, worst case scenario for a very long delay, you can go to either the Lufthansa or Turkish Airline Lounge and wait it out.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply folks. I will go with IAD.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:51 pm

Yes, definitely consider stopping by the TK or LH lounge.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I was on the 752 to/from SEA with lie flat, so you may get that on the EWR option.

What's the connection time at ORD? There are many flights to ORD from EWR daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.