Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Gotcha! Makes perfect sense.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a Canadian and I start just about every trip out of YYZ (Toronto).

If I search YYZ-EWR-HKG, I'm going to see PZ0. But if I search JUST EWR-HKG, I will see PZ4. It's been like that for years. I'm just used to it.

The long and the short of it - when you add extra segments, it screws up availability. There's a bunch of reasons... third countries screw it up. Being on a barbie jet with only economy class (from YYZ to EWR on a Embraer135) will screw it up.

But using my above mentioned example, if I go ahead and book a W fare YYZ-EWR-HKG, even though it shows PZ0, my GPU will still clear instantly on EWR-HKG.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I'm a Canadian and I start just about every trip out of YYZ (Toronto).

If I search YYZ-EWR-HKG, I'm going to see PZ0. But if I search JUST EWR-HKG, I will see PZ4. It's been like that for years. I'm just used to it.

The long and the short of it - when you add extra segments, it screws up availability. There's a bunch of reasons... third countries screw it up. Being on a barbie jet with only economy class (from YYZ to EWR on a Embraer135) will screw it up.

But using my above mentioned example, if I go ahead and book a W fare YYZ-EWR-HKG, even though it shows PZ0, my GPU will still clear instantly on EWR-HKG.
Amazing how many people out of YYZ have switched loyalty to United over Air Canada on Flyertalk.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Had some oddities yesterday on a GPU flight

CHS-EWR-NAS-EWR-CHS

Applied 2 GPU at booking and NAS-EWR-CHS all cleared at booking on one GPU
CHS-EWR-NAS waitlisted
Yesterday was 5 days out and I got the upgrade email for the CHS-EWR flight - but it didn't say my GPU cleared it said my CPU cleared
I looked at both flights and they were PZ1, both when I looked individually and when I looked at them together
Called 1K desk and they said because it is a CPU/RPU flight that PZ1 doesn't pick up the upgrades like R used to do

I have no idea if she said this to just appease my question of why or what. She did mention PZ is the replacement for R, but they are having quite a few problems with auto upgrades not clearing, but mine wasn't it, mine was strictly because I used an expiring GPU on a RPU eligible flight (I am out of RPU's and I have already used all but 2 of my 2019 RPU and I had 2 expiring GPU left - so VoV, might as well use them)
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Air India Maharaja Club, Lufthansa FT, Jet Airways Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Amazing how many people out of YYZ have switched loyalty to United over Air Canada on Flyertalk.
Makes sense, I do it too - No PQD requirement with foreign address - Been UA 1K for years with only ~ $2,000 spend on UA every year. Mostly LH/LX J tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.