Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

? Proper etiquette for additional (alcoholic) beverages after carts finish?

Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

I've found myself on quite a few flights in economy these past 2 months, both long haul international and domestic (trans-con or mid-con). On flights where I'm not driving at the other end, I enjoy having a few adult beverages, however there are typically only 2 regular drink services on these flights, one before/with the main meal, and one right after, during meal clean up. (of course there's one more on long haul just before landing with "breakfast" but usually I'm not in the mood for adult beverages then).

What's the correct / accepted etiquette from UA flight attendants for requesting additional drinks past the 2 that come on the beverage carts early in the flight? On other (foreign) airlines, I just go to the rear galley and ask whoever is there if no FA's have made a pass through the cabin recently, but know US carrier FA's can be less receptive to requests back there. On quite a few foreign airlines there'd be someone in the aisle in somewhat frequent intervals in case people want something, but not on any US carrier that I've ever seen.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Press the call button?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtftw
Press the call button?
Haha, isn't that one of the quickest ways to piss off a UA FA? I thought that was only accepted in Asia? Don't know, I've only heard anecdotal stories about FA's telling passengers it's only for 'emergencies'. Perhaps I'm just being too sympathetic to them staying in the galley reading / chatting the whole flight.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:40 pm

For international UA flights, I go to the rear galley and ask for a beer. My experiences have always been friendly. I usually sit in an aisle seat, so personally I'd feel silly using the call button for such a request
trooper and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
For international UA flights, I go to the rear galley and ask for a beer. My experiences have always been friendly. I usually sit in an aisle seat, so personally I'd feel silly using the call button for such a request
Agreed - go to the nearest galley. The drawback of a call button is it can disturb your seatmates especially if they are sleeping.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The drawback of a call button is it can disturb your seatmates especially if they are sleeping.
How so? A call button doesn't set off a siren or do anything more than light up and send a signal to the galley.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Etiquette? What does this have to do with booze.

You are a customer and the FA's, putting aside their safety function, are there to provide service. If you want something, whether its Scotch or ice water, ask for it. Hit the call button, catch a passing FA, or head to the galley. All up to you and the circumstances.

Don't worry about what the FA thinks of being asked.
dvs7310, Miggles, DCP2016 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How so? A call button doesn't set off a siren or do anything more than light up and send a signal to the galley.
Granted, it has been several years since I've hit a call button but as I recall it makes a distinctive "ding"
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
For international UA flights, I go to the rear galley and ask for a beer. My experiences have always been friendly.
I do the same regardless of airline when in economy. I flew DL Y to/from Europe for thanksgiving and just went back there and asked. They generally don't mind and depending on the crew they might even enjoy the break from the monotony. I had a fun chat with one of the younger FAs for 10-15 mins since she was otherwise just messing with her phone.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
H... Don't know, I've only heard anecdotal stories about FA's telling passengers it's only for 'emergencies'. .....
Best not to extrapolation 1% incidents to a general rule. That happens a lot on FT.
dvs7310, Often1 and atword like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Apparently according to suggestions here, I should not be so concerned about disturbing the FA's, lol.

On a similar note, I've noticed a whole lot of comped liquor on my flights (in economy) these past 2 months. I know I get 1 free as a 1K, but usually they aren't even checking status on their tablet it seems, then subsequent requests on the same flight, mostly, they haven't batted an eye, asked for payment, or vouchers.

International, beer and wine are free, but liquor isn't supposed to be unless that's a recent change? I did notice that P.S. Transcon Economy Plus does get free liquor now, so maybe that's gone international as well? (would make sense, but would also make the dozens of drink vouchers I've accumulated through the years utterly useless, lol).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by mtftw
Press the call button?
On United??
Dublin_rfk and dvs7310 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:13 pm

Doesn't really matter if it is more hootch to keep the party going, a diet coke for your hangover, some crackers or a deck of cards. You are entitled to ask. If the FAs are not in the middle of drink service, meal service or cleanup they should be able to assist. Of course, if all 300 passengers want extended service at once it's going to be slow.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
this issue isn't limited to the Y cabin. i consider it an accomplishment if i can get four drinks in F EWR-HNL.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
i consider it an accomplishment if i can get four drinks in F EWR-HNL.
Personally, i've not had that problem - but the flight does leave at 8:30am
Miggles likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.