Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Messy Do the Lavs have to get before FAs are Required to do Something?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Messy Do the Lavs have to get before FAs are Required to do Something?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by username
I am not sure if it is cost cutting that is the issue. It is really how jobs are divided and the way the employees views as their duty or not. Between our country culture and our corporate culture, we decide how much extra mile to go to take care of our customers. USA and UA are not known for customer service, unfortunately.

There are UA FAs, for example, who actually decorate the lav - even in domestic F - to make the experience pleasant for the passengers. However, it is not their job and the company certainly does not reward or appreciate those who go the extra mile, so...
It's a job that has been divided to 'no one' i.e.no one gets paid to do it. It's a UA problem because they continue to pull FA's off the plane, add seat density, shrink the lav size and numbers. It very much is a cost cutting issue. So if UA can't maintain a sanitary lav, what else are they not sanitary about? hint...see the food poisoning thread. Fly the sewer skies
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chavala
I would be happy if they would just smash down the trash. Surely they could be supplied with some sort of "stick" or something.
I just use a paper towel across top of fill and push down.

...No way a pax is gonna stick his bare hand in there...

Except me...
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Depends on the base's culture.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I just use a paper towel across top of fill and push down.

Except me...
This!
I clean the sink and jam the trash down all the time. I also wipe-up excess water on the counter and on the floor, and wipe down the sink. I try to leave the place neater than when I got there.
Also, every now and then, I'll clean the toilet itself if it is disgusting. And for those of you who are grossed-out; when I was in boot-camp, they didn't even give us rags to clean the toilets, we had to use our hands! As my Drill Instructor said to us, "God gave each of us the finest cleaning instruments in the world, our bare hands."

The above being said, on most flights that I've been on, the FAs do at least some clean-up in the lavs, and some exceptional FAs do a thorough job.
IAH-OIL-TRASH and Pat89339 like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 1, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I would be happy if they would just smash down the trash. Surely they could be supplied with some sort of "stick" or something. No way a pax is gonna stick his bare hand in there.

P.S. on at least 2 of my last flights someone has stolen the hand lotion out of the Biz lavs. I know it's expensive stuff but how tacky can you get?
were you in the lav with them when the theft (alleged) occurred?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
That's one of the reasons why economy is called the cattle class.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Part of the problem is that the hand towels are designed to break down easily if they get flushed so as to prevent clogging up the toilet system and making the lav inoperative. That also makes them tear easily when being pulled from the holder so a lot of small pieces fall to the floor.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA
For you kind people thinking of pushing the trash down by hand(even gloved hands), please think of the hazard of spent syringes.
DenverBrian and wpcoe like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TaiwanIndependence
For you kind people thinking of pushing the trash down by hand(even gloved hands), please think of the hazard of spent syringes.
Everyone has their own risk calculations.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by username

I know United is not EVA where the FAs tidy up the lav, even in Y, almost too much...and "keeping the lavs tidy" is most likely not on UA FA's list of responsibilities (after all, they are here primarily for our safety). However, is there anything that would have required them to do anything?

Thanks.
I would go as far as to say it's likely the union contract specifically states they do NOT clean lavs. Contrast with ANA where after a 12 hour flight the toilets are as clean when they land as they were when they took off.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I don't know that they are supposed to do.
Is it bad to admit that neither did I until I looked it up?

Buried in the Inflight P&P: "Gloves may be worn while tidying the lavatories" it goes on to describe "tidying" to include "Discard used paper towels, paper cups and other refuse. Ensure trash flap is in closed position, wipe excess water from wash basin, countertops and mirror. Restock supplies such as toilet paper, hand towels, and tissue. Use blue pellets to reduce blue water odor (if applicable). Use spray provided to freshen the lavatory. On the 787, use the manual trash compactor at [location] to ensure trash chute is free of debris."

It's more or less what I do every time I use the lavs myself. Although I didn't know about the 787 compactor, I'll have to look for it next time I find myself on one.

I would imagine the scope clause of the contract is what prohibits anything further than the minor tidying (i.e. cleaning the lavs). There's also a lack of cleaning supplies boarded. I've definitely had to shut a lav off and placard it closed when people have made a mess of things in one (the smell alone would have kept most sane people out, anyways).

Originally Posted by TaiwanIndependence
There are sharps disposal containers onboard. It's a fairly common request, so I think most people who need to use them are aware of their presence. The lack of pushing trash down being mentioned for anything other than the 787 makes me think that someone at WHQ is thinking the same as you, though.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by STVA
Should it happen? Absolutely.

Will it happen on a US airline? No way.
I saw the FA’s on a recent 14-hour DL flight SYD-LAX tidy up the Y lavs more than once, so it does happen.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by prestonh
It's nearly impossible to prevent water splashing with that thing. The floor was nearly covered with water.
Lol... water...
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zombietooth
This!
I clean the sink and jam the trash down all the time. I also wipe-up excess water on the counter and on the floor, and wipe down the sink. I try to leave the place neater than when I got there.
Also, every now and then, I'll clean the toilet itself if it is disgusting. And for those of you who are grossed-out; when I was in boot-camp, they didn't even give us rags to clean the toilets, we had to use our hands! As my Drill Instructor said to us, "God gave each of us the finest cleaning instruments in the world, our bare hands."

The above being said, on most flights that I've been on, the FAs do at least some clean-up in the lavs, and some exceptional FAs do a thorough job.
LOL. I do this, too! There are often patches of unidentifiable liquid on the floor, so I throw down a couple of paper towels and mop it up with my foot. Do the same with the counter. I'll also grab a towel and use it to pick up all the trash on the floor. I draw the line at the toilet, though.

I think that if you had recalcitrant flight attendants who seemed reluctant to clean the lavs, you could always say, "Hey, can you loan me some cleaning supplies? That lav is in terrible shape--let me clean it up for you." Might spur them into action.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
I saw the FA’s on a recent 14-hour DL flight SYD-LAX tidy up the Y lavs more than once, so it does happen.
That was Delta. And I've seen it on Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, and just about every airline in the world except United and American. Remember they're here "primarily for you safety" even though they're often incapable of closing the overhead bins by themselves......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.