Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are there Guidelines on How Long Pilot Break Time in Galley is?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there Guidelines on How Long Pilot Break Time in Galley is?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Are there Guidelines on How Long Pilot Break Time in Galley is?

I am curious about something. On my flight tonight (about 3.5 hours, 737-900), about an hour before landing, the pilots took turns using the lav. Each pilot stayed out in the galley and chatted with the FA for while. It probably took about 20 minutes total (I was watching DirecTV so I know by the length of the program - almost the length of Entertainment Tonight on WCBS).

When they were finally done an the cart pulled away, 3-4 passengers started going to the lav. I thought it was unusually long and kind of inconsiderate of them when the lav for 20 passengers was blocked. (I guess with the 737-900, at least there is one lav right behind the curtain.)

I wonder if they have any guidelines on this kind of thing. If security is really of concern, you would think they would minimize the time they spend outside the cockpit? Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by username
I wonder if they have any guidelines on this kind of thing.
None that I've ever heard of. It's all based on how considerate the pilots are.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I had a UA flight earlier this year where the pilots had the forward lav blocked for at least an hour so they could chat with the FAs. I was in 1B and it was pretty annoying. Not just distracting, but because the FAs ceased all service in the F cabin. I eventually went up and asked if there was a problem. They got the message.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Similar problem on the 772 with one forward lav and crew bunks. The resting pilots can swing the bunk door to block the lav. I've been on TPACs where it's been that way for TWO HOURS. The FAs were incredulous too but said there was nothing they could do. That left 2 lavs for all of F and J.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:16 am

The pilots are supposed to be flying the plane (or assisting the person at the helm) and not socializing with the FAs. Their bathroom trips should be limited to going in and out, not lingering in the galley. When there's an emergency, I don't want the FA who is in the cockpit with the co-pilot to have to handle it!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
I had a UA flight earlier this year where the pilots had the forward lav blocked for at least an hour so they could chat with the FAs. I was in 1B and it was pretty annoying. Not just distracting, but because the FAs ceased all service in the F cabin. I eventually went up and asked if there was a problem. They got the message.
thats interesting, I’ve seen people get up 2-3x since the blockade security method has been employed and each time the FA would immediately say “we need you to sit down...” pretty authoritatively. Never an opportunity for a passenger to tell them how to do their job.

Re: OP, I’ve noticed this more often than not they’ll come out on TCON in the last 90 minutes for extended stretches. Usually they collect their meal and stretch their legs. And chat w the FA’s. It always seemed strange they waited until the end to hit the head and eat, especially the meal part. Why not wait another 90 minutes and have real food on the ground?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The strange thing last night was that they did not get their meal - the flight departed ORD about 4 PM. Maybe that is why? We got a full meal.

That was the only period they blocked the galley. They were certainly having fun with their discussions - at one point, an FA from Y came up and joined.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You can use the lav in the back. Only the front lav is reserved for the front cabin.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
You can use the lav in the back. Only the front lav is reserved for the front cabin.
Consider grabbing a tapas box on the way back to get some hummus with that PITA!
HotelHacker likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Imstevek

thats interesting, I’ve seen people get up 2-3x since the blockade security method has been employed and each time the FA would immediately say “we need you to sit down...” pretty authoritatively. Never an opportunity for a passenger to tell them how to do their job.
If the 'visit' of the pilot / copilot was extended as the OP indicated and I got this behavior, I'd promptly request the ear of the purser as soon as the blockade was removed and also following that up with an email to 1K voice detailing the situation once on the ground. I understand security while the cockpit door is in use, but blocking the entire front cabin from using the lav for extended periods for no good reason is ridiculous.
chavala and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:16 pm

As long as there aren't more than 2 pilots carousing with the trolley dollies at once, I don't see an issue.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:47 pm

The 737 has a very space limited cockpit. You physically can not stand up in it if you are taller than 5’8”. As a result, the only opportunity we have to stretch our legs is during our restroom break. I go back once every 3 hours regardless if I have to use the restroom or not. I generally stretch my legs for 5-10 minutes, grab a cup of coffee and head back to work. I’ve had first officers stay put on the flight deck on a five hour trancon without a break. Not sure how they do it. When I flew the 787 & 777 as a first officer it wasn’t a big deal since the cockpit had plenty of room to stretch out when needed.
blueman2, STVA, Pat89339 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Imstevek

Re: OP, I’ve noticed this more often than not they’ll come out on TCON in the last 90 minutes for extended stretches. Usually they collect their meal and stretch their legs. And chat w the FA’s. It always seemed strange they waited until the end to hit the head and eat, especially the meal part. Why not wait another 90 minutes and have real food on the ground?
Why? Because they're cheap. Wasn't there a joke that the pretzels/peanuts served to passengers are known as pilot pellets?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SFO737CAPT
The 737 has a very space limited cockpit. You physically can not stand up in it if you are taller than 5’8”. As a result, the only opportunity we have to stretch our legs is during our restroom break. I go back once every 3 hours regardless if I have to use the restroom or not. I generally stretch my legs for 5-10 minutes, grab a cup of coffee and head back to work. I’ve had first officers stay put on the flight deck on a five hour trancon without a break. Not sure how they do it. When I flew the 787 & 777 as a first officer it wasn’t a big deal since the cockpit had plenty of room to stretch out when needed.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, SFO737CAPT!

That explains the need to escape the 737 cockpit for a few minutes. As well as why the F lav is so cramped as well. I personally will tend to use the lav at the front of Economy Plus on the 739s if it open even if I'm sitting up front since I can't properly stand in the F lav and the toilet seat tends to always fall down.

David
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by DELee

Welcome to FlyerTalk, SFO737CAPT!

That explains the need to escape the 737 cockpit for a few minutes. As well as why the F lav is so cramped as well. I personally will tend to use the lav at the front of Economy Plus on the 739s if it open even if I'm sitting up front since I can't properly stand in the F lav and the toilet seat tends to always fall down.

David
Thanks! The 737 is a fun and challenging plane to fly but seriously lacks in ergonomics! I try to be cognizant of others needing to use the restroom and avoid hanging out in the galley any longer than needed.
Pat89339 and AeRoSpaceman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.