Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR-HKG switching to 77W in March 2019; and some 2-2-2 772s at ORD

EWR-HKG switching to 77W in March 2019; and some 2-2-2 772s at ORD

Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
Probably over the weekend when the schedule update is pushed through.
Looks like it is underway, although it's a bit messy ATM. Plane still shows as 777-200, the seating map shows as 77W (but with 6-7 D/G as regular seats). It looks like P+ is going to show up as purple squares on the seat map once the update is completed.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hirohito888
It will be a retrofitted 772, as SFO-PEK is one of the dedicated routes with Polaris/Premier Plus seats on 772.
you're right, it already switched over!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Also notice that there is a column for PE fares, which are currently "Not available." Maybe we'll have an idea about how PE fares will compare to Y and J fares later this weekend.

The seat map is an absolute mess though. Hopefully they fix that soon.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: UA Gold
This makes a lot of sense, especially from a capacity perspective. the 77W has longer range and can operate EWR-HKG at much closer to maximum load than the 77E can. EWR-HKG has been the worlds longest 777-200ER flight since it launched in 2001, and I've been surprised how long UA kept them on the route.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:58 am

Other note about this it looks like they moved the 2-2-2 777 to the ord route most likely to retrofit the awful 2-4-2 planes
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik
Does this mean the start of 77Y retrofits?
Rumor is the first 77Y with Polaris is scheduled to start work in HKG shortly.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by LC757
Yes, it seems like PVG is the only regular TPAC route that doesn't have a dedicated Polaris hard product service (50/50 at ORD for 772 retrofits).
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
kix
icn
hnd
sin
ctu
What about LAX? Has LAX ever seen an aircraft with a true Polaris seat?

Will it ever happen in the future?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
What about LAX? Has LAX ever seen an aircraft with a true Polaris seat?

Will it ever happen in the future?
I think the 77W has flown through there on occasion as a one-off. However, as all of the LAX international flights (which is currently down to LHR, NRT, PVG, SYD and MEL) are on the 789, it's going to be the last hub (along with DEN) to see true Polaris hard product.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by EWR764

Rumor is the first 77Y with Polaris is scheduled to start work in HKG shortly.
Sadly, I am dreading the day the 77Ys change to Polarized versions.
I have come accustomed to the old CO layout and CO crew for my numerous EWR-PEK (UA89) and PEK-EWR (US88) which make up 80%+ of my BIS miles: the decent business class seats with decent storage, the large lav, 8E, and an economy seat in 17F or close thereto that is survivable for the ~13 hour trip.
Don't mind the switch from the old business seat to Polaris, but am dreading the day I have to endure this flight in E+ in 3-4-3. PE might be the savior, but not guaranteed, of course.
Glad this frame is the last the receive the retrofit, and that it lasted as long as it did.
Dhamal and drewguy like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:15 pm

Looking at the date I am taking EWR-HKG, all of the PE buckets are zeroed out right now (as they are on the seat map). Does this mean that it is still being sold at Economy Plus (for the time being)?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Looking at the date I am taking EWR-HKG, all of the PE buckets are zeroed out right now (as they are on the seat map). Does this mean that it is still being sold at Economy Plus (for the time being)?
From this report it appears that you will be bounced out of PE if you select it, if you can even do that:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30487737-post86.html

Come Dec. 3 you may be able to purchase directly into PE.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:30 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by narvik
Don't mind the switch from the old business seat to Polaris, but am dreading the day I have to endure this flight in E+ in 3-4-3. PE might be the savior, but not guaranteed, of course.
In the long run there will be more premium seats [current J] < [polaris j] + [PE] and a theoretical lower price point to upgrade with an instrument from Y > PE (i.e. you can upgrade a sub W fare to PE).

Granted we do not yet know how UA will price PE vis-a-vis Y, but in the end I have a hard time seeing how an active elite will lose out on this due to the increase in premium inventory and increased upgrade paths.
EWR764 and narvik like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J.Edward
In the long run there will be more premium seats [current J] < [polaris j] + [PE] and a theoretical lower price point to upgrade with an instrument from Y > PE (i.e. you can upgrade a sub W fare to PE).

Granted we do not yet know how UA will price PE vis-a-vis Y, but in the end I have a hard time seeing how an active elite will lose out on this due to the increase in premium inventory and increased upgrade paths.
until my recent FRA-IAD flight was changed from a Polaris bird to an IPTE bird, I had no trouble locking in PE. And I expect to be paying for PE once they start charging for it, and I will do it gladly in order to escape 10 wide Y.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by J.Edward

Depends on what upgrades cost and availability, but for anyone traveling for a company that pays only economy, you always run the risk you'll be in the cattle class, and with a lower % of E+ that's a potential negative.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by LC757
Yes, it seems like PVG is the only regular TPAC route that doesn't have a dedicated Polaris hard product service (50/50 at ORD for 772 retrofits).
what does 50 / 50 at ORD for 772 retrofits mean?

Do you mean that HKG flights are half the time Polaris? or you mean the number of TPAC flights from ORD that have regularly scheduled Polaris?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.