Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Another year of disappointing Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another year of disappointing Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VX N281VA
Let’s not forget that UA’s broken SDC tool this year slowed people in Paid F on routes like LAX-SFO to SDC to (and waste space on) virtually any other hub routes, like LAX-IAH-DEN-LAX-EWR-IAD-SFO like I did once.

Not only does this waste front cabin space but probably also bloated the ranks of elites.
I assume you mean "allowed" instead of "slowed". I doubt that many people abuse SDC in order to go on extended mileage runs (at least not to the extent above). Most people likely just use it to get home sooner.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LBJ
I assume you mean "allowed" instead of "slowed". I doubt that many people abuse SDC in order to go on extended mileage runs (at least not to the extent above). Most people likely just use it to get home sooner.
Yeah this was one of the most FF friendly IT "mistakes" in UA history

I very seriously doubt it had any material impact on UA's elite ranks.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Zero upgrades as a Plat this year. Routes between EWR, SFO, ORD, BOS did the trick.
Not much better as 1K and similar routes. Very tough hubs to get even instrument upgrades on and some are CPU ineligible (ps routes).
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Year to date, I've flown 78 total segments with UA. 66 of the 78 were routes eligible for an upgrade, and I've been upgraded on 35 of the 66. That's a 53% upgrade rate as an SFO-based 1K. Of the 31 segments where I was not upgraded, 12 were ORD-SFO or SFO-ORD, and another 10 were different hub-to-hub routes.

That said, routes matter more than anything. For the Plats upset that they're not being upgraded, just know that the Silvers, Golds and 1K's probably aren't being upgraded on those same routes either.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, BA Silver
Since we all seem to be saying that the CPU scheme is out of control and ends up frustrating almost everyone, you’d hope that the GPU and RPU would be guaranteed to compensate for the pain.
Booked for two BWI to IAH to Liberia five months ago, R was unavailable in spite of not a single seat being sold in the forward cabin. Watched the availability shrink, month by month, day by day and once again United took it to the last minute at the gate and nothing cleared. We went from 1 and 2 to 4 and 5 in the last two hours. Is there a rush of 1k’s with instruments who zoom to the front?
Sad when I felt almost grateful when we were allowed to sit in our paid First/Business seats on the return to Dulles via IAH. United met expectations must be a catch?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Year to date, I've flown 78 total segments with UA. 66 of the 78 were routes eligible for an upgrade, and I've been upgraded on 35 of the 66. That's a 53% upgrade rate as an SFO-based 1K. Of the 31 segments where I was not upgraded, 12 were ORD-SFO or SFO-ORD, and another 10 were different hub-to-hub routes.

That said, routes matter more than anything. For the Plats upset that they're not being upgraded, just know that the Silvers, Golds and 1K's probably aren't being upgraded on those same routes either.
Can you share more details on the 35 that were upgraded? Were any of these hub-hub routes and if so were they redeye flights or other undesirable qualities (i.e. 6am departures)? Because as 1K I have yet to find a CPU on a hub-hub route during weekday business hours. OTOH Mexico is usually no problema.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Can you share more details on the 35 that were upgraded? Were any of these hub-hub routes and if so were they redeye flights or other undesirable qualities (i.e. 6am departures)? Because as 1K I have yet to find a CPU on a hub-hub route during weekday business hours. OTOH Mexico is usually no problema.
27 of my 35 upgrades came on CPU's. The other eight were RPU's or GPU's. I don't think that I flew very many, if any, red-eyes this year. The CPU's are as follows:

BOI-DEN, CVG-SFO, DEN-ORD, DEN-SFO, GEG-SFO, GRR-EWR, GRR-ORD (3x), IAH-MSY, LAS-SFO, LAX-LIH, LAX-SFO, LIH-LAX, ORD-BOS, ORD-CVG, ORD-GRR (2x), ORD-LAX, ORD-SFO, SAT-LAX, SFO-BOI, SFO-DEN (2x), SFO-GEG, SFO-LAS, TVC-ORD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.