Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Another year of disappointing Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another year of disappointing Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think you should expect complimentary upgrades anymore - it seems like UA has adjusted their strategy where the only elites that will be consistently upgraded are Global Services. 1Ks should be grateful for their complimentary snack boxes/global upgrades, Platinums should be grateful for their 8 E+ seats/regional upgrades, and Golds should be grateful for international lounge access.

As a consumer, I think it's fair to expect UA to monetize the first class cabin. Whether they are doing a good job at it (day of departure buy-ups, degradation in catering, and handling of IRROPs for paid first passengers) is a different debate.
what about me (Silver)?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
As a long-time 1K flying SFO/IAH regularly for several years, CPUs were few and far between. Over the last year or two, did get upgraded to CVG, MSY, ELP.

As stated upthread, resigned to my E+ seat and the free drink on the 3+ hour SFO/IAH/SFO flight. Come 2/01 will no longer be 1K, and don't care since I'm lifetime Gold/1 MM. There won't be a compelling reason to use UA for trips to PDX, SEA, DEN, TX, given the alternatives with WN and AS. For TATL and TPAC, I look forward to booking into better carriers.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by findark
Have to admit I'm surprised -- Bay Area seems ripe for front-cabin Kayakers, but maybe I underestimate the puzzling extreme frugality of tech wealth
There are are many extremely frugal wealthy people in tech world as well as non-tech world. I surmise a large portion of wealthy Bay Area tech people who are willing to pay F fares either fly private (chartered, Netjets, fractional ownership, etc) or buy lie-flat F class to Hawaii because AS has no lie flat seats, and puts it at disadvantage vs UA.

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
No need to feel frustrated. As a BOS-based 1K, I set up my expectation appropriately and I am not expecting any upgrade when flying out of BOS at any time, even for flights applied with RPUs to IAH and SFO. If I won the lottery and got an upgrade, it is a happy surprise to me.

This year I have not been upgraded a single time when flying out of BOS to EWR/IAH/SFO(with GPU)/DEN/IAD and my overall upgrade success rate is around 10% for the >50 segments with United. A few weeks ago I was >20th on the waitlist for upgrade on a Friday afternoon flight from IAH to SFO on a 789 with fully booked F cabin (48 F seats), you can image how many GS/1Ks are out there. And as it is well known on this forum, it is not surprising at all for me to be >10th on the waitlist for BOS-SFO-BOS flights after applying RPUs in the middle of the week when flying on S/T/L/K/G fares....

Safe and happy travel!
I have flown 30+ segments this year on trancon routes SFO-EWR, SFO-IAD, SFO-BOS, LAX-EWR, LAX-IAD, LAX-BOS. My RPU clearance is about 4-5 times. The 5th happened because irrops situation allowed me to change into another delayed flight with some abandoned F seats (presumably those passengers booked on another flight).

But I have cleared 50% upgrades (some CPU, some RPU) on 20+ segments on the SJC-(IAH)-BOS route. For some reason, even though IAH is clearly elite heavy, and there are many tech 1K and GS flyers that may fly between SJC and BOS, it is easier to get upgrades because it’s not nonstop. The tradeoff is extra travel time.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I don't know. My 'guess' would be similar results as IAD-SFO if not worse. DCA has been described to me as congress' airport". And those people fly up front. Yay for efficient use of taxpayers money. It will be renamed Amazons' airport soon enough

As a traveler, I stay away from DCA for one reason. When IRROPs occur, getting to my destination is important to me. Yes, upgrades are nice, but i'm flying to meet mission, deadlines, meetings, dinners, etc. If I have to suck it up for 6 hours in Economy, I will. And I often do. But I don't want to spend all day in an airport waiting for the next nonstop or lose a whole day or prolong my travel more than it needs to be prolonged.

Do IAD-SFO; have an IRROP occur; see that you're able to get on the next flight. Pray for an E+ seat. Pray for an aisle seat. Hopefully an upgrade clears and then you'll grab that amazing seat.
DO DCA-SFO; have an IRROP occur; see that your next flight is now 2 hours later and includes a 2-4 hour connection, ensuring you just spent your entire day in an airport / on a plane.

You'll be glad you did IAD-SFO Especially with the Lufthansa / Turkish lounges
Amazon HQ2 near DCA will absolutely drive large flight traffic spike and more competition for F seats as well as any discount coach seats. The possible upside is UA may respond with increasing flights to/from DCA (slot permitting), and upgauging DCA flights.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I scored a two passenger instrument upgrade earlier this year on DCA-SFO. I viewed this as something of a miracle. The flight had been F0 for weeks in advance.
Originally Posted by npei
The possible upside is UA may respond with increasing flights to/from DCA (slot permitting), and upgauging DCA flights.
Upgauge from the 753? How would they do that?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I scored a two passenger instrument upgrade earlier this year on DCA-SFO. I viewed this as something of a miracle. The flight had been F0 for weeks in advance.
Upgauge from the 753? How would they do that?
Congrats on the DCA-SFO upgrades... did you buy lottery ticket ?
DCA can accept 787. UA can switch to 787 since it has some more on order. Or it can rebalance from other routes with thin traffic.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Congrats on the DCA-SFO upgrades... did you buy lottery ticket ?
DCA can accept 787. UA can switch to 787 since it has some more on order. Or it can rebalance from other routes with thin traffic.
The capacity of a UA 787-8 (219) and 753 (234/216) are essentially the same. So no improvement in total passenger load
The 787-8 does have a large front cabin (36 vs 24) but front premium revenue is much higher on TATL routes vs t-cons.
The larger 787s take longer runways

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2018 at 3:12 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The capacity of a UA 787-8 (219) and 753 (234/216) are essentially the same. So no improvement in total passenger load
The 787-8 does have a large front cabin (36 vs 24)
The larger 787s take longer runways
Agree 787-8 total passenger lift (36 F, 70 E+, 113 E) is essentially same as 753 (24 F, 54 E+, 156 E).
I’m pretty sure extra 12 F seats will easily sell out, and upgraders will be lucky to grab 1 seat.
Better hope is 787-9 with extra 33 seats (48 F, 88 E+, 116 E) to provide more upgrade chance, and extra total seats.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't believe any 787 could fly DCA. Not enough runway.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't believe any 787 could fly DCA. Not enough runway.
Lots of variables of course, but the listed runway needs are about 10% higher than 757-300. And that doesn't even get to issues like gate parking, which may explain why 767s don't operate much there either.

Presumably an 788 could do it, but with weight limitations that would probably make it uneconomical.

As for expanded numbers of flights, it's a bit of an academic debate absent change to the number of exemptions to the perimeter rule, which currently stand at 20 and for which United has 2 (one DEN and one SFO).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Better hope is 787-9 with extra 33 seats (48 F, 88 E+, 116 E) to provide more upgrade chance, and extra total seats.
Not possible with the runways at DCA
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not possible with the runways at DCA
Though 763s have been allowed on occasion, I believe the 757 is the largest aircraft permitted for scheduled operations at DCA.

More to the point, what would be the incentive for UA to commit a 787 that otherwise could be used TATL or TPAC service?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
More to the point, what would be the incentive for UA to commit a 787 that otherwise could be used TATL or TPAC service?
Yeah the domestic turns with widebodies only make sense (i) on short routes, or (ii) between hubs. SFO-DCA would be quite inefficient.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to fly out of IAD a decent amount. The only time I got upgraded seemed to be when Congress is off. In general, even as 1K, I expect to be in Y, regardless of route. This way, there is no disappointment.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If it could somehow work in with a turn at SFO I could see that, but then they could add it to IAD.

(Although I've been waiting for UA to work out a DCA-DUB flight that would take advantage of pre-clearance in Ireland, not that that would be 787 service)
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:01 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
UA doesn't put a 777 on SFO-IAD or similar routes just to give elites better upgrade chances.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2018 at 4:39 pm Reason: snark deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.