Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus Fare in GDS (for sale starting 3 Dec 2018, travel after 30 March 2019)

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DetroitFlyer
UA PP mini site online, thanks @coolbeans202
http://view.ceros.com/united/premiumplus/p/1
  • United® Premium Plus will be available for sale beginning December 3 for travel March 30 and beyond.
  • Long-haul flights that will offer United® Premium Plus include trans-Pacific flights, trans-Atlantic flights and flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, Săo Paulo. For a complete list of planned PP markets, see the press release below.
  • Revenue Premium Plus fare codes are O, A, and R.
  • Award Premium Plus fare code is ON.
  • Upgrade Premium Plus fare code is RN.
  • Earn 150% Premier qualifying miles and 1.5 Premier qualifying segments when you purchase a fare in United® Premium Plus.
  • Upgrade instruments (GPU or miles+cash) can be used to upgrade to PE and/or J. There will be no fare class restriction for Y -> PE upgrades, and no fare class restriction for PE -> J upgrades.
  • If a pax requests an upgrade to either cabin, and clears into the PE cabin, they will remain waitlisted for the J cabin but the instrument will considered used for the PE upgrade (except miles+cash is expected to have a separate upgrade chart and a partial refund will be issued in this case).
  • PE fares will delegate to B (Economy) on UA domestic sectors and will allow free E+, and lowest available up to Y/U/Q on partner metal sectors with a UA code.

United Airlines Announces Sale Date for United® Premium Plus, Airline's Premium Economy Offering

CHICAGO, Nov. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines announced that its newest premium seating, United® Premium Plus will be on sale beginning December 3, for travel on select international flights starting March 30, 2019. The new premium economy experience will be available on 21 routes by the end of May 2019.

"United® Premium Plus gives our customers more options so they can choose the best experience that fits their wants and needs when they travel," said Andrew Nocella, United's executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "United® Premium Plus includes some of our high-end amenities from United Polaris, and is the perfect option for someone who wants an upgraded experience in the Economy cabin."

Customers traveling in United® Premium Plus will enjoy an elevated travel experience before their flight even leaves the ground, receiving complimentary standard checked bags, as well as Premier Access check-in and priority boarding. United will also offer discounted entrance at United ClubSM locations for customers traveling in United® Premium Plus.

For more images visit United's media gallery on the United Hub.

Once on board, customers will enjoy a spacious seat with more legroom, elbow room and recline than a standard Economy Plus® or Economy seat, as well as a hearty welcome meal, mid-flight snacks and a pre-arrival dining service. In addition to beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages, liquor will also be complimentary in United® Premium Plus. Customers will also receive an amenity kit, a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and plush pillow, as well as noise-reducing headphones, making it easier to enjoy hundreds of hours of entertainment on larger seatback entertainment screens. Seats will also be equipped with individual power and USB outlets, dedicated overhead bins and extra storage for customers to keep devices at hand throughout their entire flight.

United®Premium Plus Aircraft and Routes

The new premium economy seats debuted on select Boeing 777-200ER and 777-300ER aircraft earlier this summer, and United took delivery of its first 787-10 aircraft earlier this month with United Polaris business class and United® Premium Plus seats installed. All aircraft with United® Premium Plus seats also feature the airline's signature United Polaris business class direct-aisle-access seats. On average, United is adding one aircraft with United Polaris business class and United® Premium Plus seating every 10 days from now through 2020.

Awards and Upgrades
In addition to purchasing a United® Premium Plus seat, MileagePlus members will have the option to book award travel in United® Premium Plus by using their MileagePlus miles. For upgrades, either a single Global Premier Upgrade or a MileagePlus Upgrade Award can be used to move up to a United® Premium Plus seat or to United's Polaris business class cabin. For more information on United's premium economy experience visit united.com/PremiumPlus.
Print Wikipost

Premium Plus Fare in GDS (for sale starting 3 Dec 2018, travel after 30 March 2019)

Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pspark
I just got off the phone with UA. She checked with her supervisor and then told me that PP seats have not been released for booking in the upgrade category and it will not be done until after the new year.
I swear I saw R7 RN7 this morning, but it was probably pulled. RN indeed seems to be zeroed out across the board, which probably makes sense because they really are not ready to roll out all the upgrade tooling.

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
1. I’m still confused about the upgrade priority. Is it the case that all PP-paid pax using miles or an instrument (regardless of their status) will get upgraded to J before any Y class pax get upgraded to J? Or are the PP fare buckets just considered the highest fare buckets when determining upgrade priority. Ie, within each status, the PP paid pax get upgraded before the Y buckets, such that GS will always trump 1K, who will also always trump PL, etc.

Seems like anyone in PE will be ahead of anyone not. I don't know how that applies to someone who bought Y and has a half-cleared GPU in RN.

On aircraft with United® Premium Plus, we’ll first process United Polaris business class or United Business waitlists for all members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats, using the priority order listed above. We’ll then process waitlists for members with United Economy seats, using the same priority order.
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
2. Is there a mechanism to request solely a Y to J upgrade for my GPU and NOT be forced to accept the PP UPG if I don’t want to waste my GPU on this?
Policy suggests yes, I don't know if you can do this right now on the website.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by findark
I swear I saw R7 RN7 this morning, but it was probably pulled.
You're not going crazy. My flight that was RN3 this morning (see post 128) is now RN0. (And I still remain waitlisted for it)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I think it's just boilerplate. Lifetime miles are always based on the actual distance flown, with no fare class bonus.
Let’s hope. Redeemable miles also used to be BIS miles. Until they weren’t. I don’t like the way it’s worded as Earn...lifetime miles...based on your fare. Sounds like LQD.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I tried to see if someone else asked this question but could not see an answer. If I purchase PP and the plane switches to one without PP what happens? I do not mind paying for PP but not if I lose PP seating.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I tried to see if someone else asked this question but could not see an answer. If I purchase PP and the plane switches to one without PP what happens? I do not mind paying for PP but not if I lose PP seating.
That is a very good question. UA has quite studiously avoided referencing PP as a separate class of service (referring instead to a "Premium Plus seat,") which suggests to me they may deny any obligation under the CoC to provide a fare refund in the event of downgrade. At the same time, it's not like E+, where it's very clear what you paid for the seat.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is a very good question. UA has quite studiously avoided referencing PP as a separate class of service (referring instead to a "Premium Plus seat,") which suggests to me they may deny any obligation under the CoC to provide a fare refund in the event of downgrade. At the same time, it's not like E+, where it's very clear what you paid for the seat.
I disagree. In the GDS, they're being published as Premium Economy fares. I don't think this is UA being devious; I think it's just marketing.

To answer the question, UA has made it clear that they're trying hard to make sure that they're not planning to file more routes with P+ than they can deliver with a comfortable degree of certainty. In other words, if they have 20 aircraft with P+, they're selling it as though they will have 16 or 18 or whatever so that there are some in reserve.

If, however, they need more spares than they have, I'd expect downgrade compensation and a refund of the fare difference. UA's computation of the fare difference is likely to leave much to be desired -- they'll probably try to compare it to the walk-up fare, like often happens with F downgrades. If you're the type who likes to be prepared, I'd consider taking a screenshot of the Y price before buying a PE ticket.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I disagree. In the GDS, they're being published as Premium Economy fares. I don't think this is UA being devious; I think it's just marketing.
The relevant descriptions on the website have been drafted very very carefully NOT to refer to P+ as a different class of service, but just "a seat." That is no accident.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:23 pm

I have sent an e-mail to UA asking the specific question as I have a number of flights coming up that are selling PP and do not want to pay the premium if I do not get the seat.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The relevant descriptions on the website have been drafted very very carefully NOT to refer to P+ as a different class of service, but just "a seat." That is no accident.
Code:
 NOTE - THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT
   VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
   PACIFIC ROUND TRIP PREMIUM ECONOMY SAVER FARES
   APPLICATION
    AREA
     THESE FARES APPLY 
      BETWEEN AREA 1 AND AREA 3.
    CLASS OF SERVICE
     THESE FARES APPLY FOR PREMIUM ECONOMY CLASS
      SERVICE.
    TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION
     THIS RULE GOVERNS ROUND-TRIP FARES.
     FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE CAN BE USED TO CREATE
      ROUND-TRIP/CIRCLE-TRIP/SINGLE OPEN-JAW JOURNEYS.
    CAPACITY LIMITATIONS
     THE CARRIER SHALL LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS
      CARRIED ON ANY ONE FLIGHT AT FARES GOVERNED BY
      THIS RULE AND SUCH FARES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE
      AVAILABLE ON ALL FLIGHTS.
They're PE fares. They're being sold as a separate class of service, regardless of how they're being marketed.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:36 pm

They're PE fares. They're being sold as a separate class of service, regardless of how they're being marketed.
That begs the question how UA will treat them in the event of a downgrade.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have sent an e-mail to UA asking the specific question as I have a number of flights coming up that are selling PP and do not want to pay the premium if I do not get the seat.
I'm willing to pay the premium but in reality I would just be waiting for my upgrade to Polaris Business to clear.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:48 am

UA confirmed in an email that "normal downgrade procesures would apply".

However, the email went on about prices changing every day and I could request a refund if I find a lower priced ticket and receive ETCs and change fees would apply. So I think if PP is not available and the refund is requested I need to pay a change fee which seems wrong to me. If I pay for something and do not receive it I do not understand why I should pay a fee in obtaining my refund.

Do think the advice to take a screenshot (mentioned upthread( is a good idea while they are rolling out the seats.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, the email went on about prices changing every day and I could request a refund if I find a lower priced ticket and receive ETCs and change fees would apply. So I think if PP is not available and the refund is requested I need to pay a change fee which seems wrong to me. If I pay for something and do not receive it I do not understand why I should pay a fee in obtaining my refund.
Two different things. They're saying that if the price drops and you want to re-ticket, or if you want to make a voluntary, non-IRROPS related change from P+ to Y, you'd pay the change fee and then get an ETC for any residual fare amount, just like you would in any other circumstance. There is no change fee required to get a refund if they were not able to accommodate you in your ticketed class of service on your originally scheduled flight.

Note: in case of IRROPS, they will consider it a voluntary downgrade -- no refund provided -- if you are booked in PE and change to another flight that only has seating in Y. It's exactly the same as if you are booked in J -- they'll argue that you could have waited for a flight with PE availability and therefore no refund is due.

Unknown at this point is whether or not they would follow the rules in GG OVS DOWNGRADE. My guess is that they'll update that table to provide less compensation for J->P+ or P+->Y downgrades than they do today for J->Y downgrades, but that's all it is -- a guess.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:30 am

Two different things. They're saying that if the price drops and you want to re-ticket, or if you want to make a voluntary, non-IRROPS related change from P+ to Y, you'd pay the change fee and then get an ETC for any residual fare amount, just like you would in any other circumstance. There is no change fee required to get a refund if they were not able to accommodate you in your ticketed class of service on your originally scheduled flight.

Note: in case of IRROPS, they will consider it a voluntary downgrade -- no refund provided -- if you are booked in PE and change to another flight that only has seating in Y. It's exactly the same as if you are booked in J -- they'll argue that you could have waited for a flight with PE availability and therefore no refund is due.

Unknown at this point is whether or not they would follow the rules in GG OVS DOWNGRADE. My guess is that they'll update that table to provide less compensation for J->P+ or P+->Y downgrades than they do today for J->Y downgrades, but that's all it is -- a guess.
I am struggling on the IRROPS argument but will wait to see what happens with my flights.

My PP plans are for TPAC and TATL and UA are usually very good to be in those IRROP situations.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
It looks like fares for my searches are now priced much more reasonably (even generously), with R inventory available. I see that connecting domestic flights (in at least my example) are in a B fare class, which should be eligible for instant 1K/GS upgrades, pending space availability. This is a fantastic and distinguishing feature of the UA elite program compared to DL and AA.
EWR764 and Air Houston like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.