Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mile Play Promotion - complete activity by 31 Jan 2019 (targeted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Standard MilePay link
https://promotions.united.com/offers/mileplay

T&C

Eligibility: • Only original offer recipients can register for and participate in this promotion. • Promotion code: T005MA
How to participate: • Member must register for this promotion on or prior to January 31, 2019. Only transactions initiated after registration and completed on or prior to January 31, 2019 will qualify toward satisfaction of the offer requirements.
Print Wikipost

Mile Play Promotion - complete activity by 31 Jan 2019 (targeted)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke777

What about the other way where I had a ticket booked prior to promo but made changes and so new ticketing date is in the range. Will I earn the bonus miles?
So long as it actually triggered re-ticketing (and date/city/flight changes would do so) you should be golden.

Originally Posted by flyguy6
Ended up completing it.

Is there a schedule United follows for Mile Play offers or is it random?
Seemed in 2018 to do one roughly per quarter. I'm sad I missed Q1 (had to reschedule and cancel flights several times) as it was a great offer; Q2 was a poor one I didn't even try for; Q3 was another good one, and I completed it; Q4 was awful again, and I didn't qualify, either, due to T&C (see a few posts back).

2019--aside from the January end-date for the current promo--could be interesting, as my typical offers would work well for my anticipated travel.
Duke777 and flyguy6 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Duke777
What about the other way where I had a ticket booked prior to promo but made changes and so new ticketing date is in the range. Will I earn the bonus miles?
Originally Posted by exerda
So long as it actually triggered re-ticketing (and date/city/flight changes would do so) you should be golden.
I have a reservation that I booked back in July for a trip a couple weeks from now in mid-January. On December 29, I randomly received an email from UA with the subject "eTicket Itinerary and Receipt for Confirmation XXXXXX" (where XXXXXX is the same as my original PNR), which is the subject of the email that I always get when I've just booked a ticket. None of the flight times have changed in that email, but it looks like the PQD and PQM earnings have gone up due to the 1 NH segment going from 50% to 100% earning (I assume there was some sort of policy change that NH K class now earns 100% whereas it used to earn 50%?). Regardless, I have a new eTicket Number, but looking at my reservation online, it still shows that it was ticketed on July 2, 2018. Any chance you think this will be eligible?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
United is trying to deny me the bonus miles from the current promotion.

My case: "I flew a paid Business premium transcontinental itinerary SFO-EWR-RIC (UA 1676 connecting to UA 4119) on January 4. This airfare portion of the itinerary cost me $887.44 (eticket total was $976.80). This should qualify as my second completed activity. Somehow, the PQDs were allocated unusually (and unfairly) to the EWR-RIC United Express 1-cabin flight, despite having flown the vast, vast majority of the itinerary in paid Business on the 77W. I cannot help that United does not offer a premium cabin on the short EWR-RIC flight. This should not ruin my chances at completing the promotion. No reasonable person would have expected such a large number of PQDs allocated to a 45-minute United Express flight. I could have booked a cheaper fare through Chicago but elected the more expensive option through Newark for the PQDs. Now, I am being punished based on some technicality."

The response: "We're unable to process your request. The entire flight has to be in a Premium fare basis. As a Premier 1K member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus."

Suggested next steps - call in, email again but ask for someone more senior?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rch4u
The response: "We're unable to process your request. The entire flight has to be in a Premium fare basis. As a Premier 1K member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus."
FWIW the fine print on my offer (2 trips premium cabin $800+) says "All travel for Trip must be in Business or First class (fare classes: A, C, D, F, J, P and Z)." If yours is the same, it's tough, but I think they've got you (I mean I agree it's silly to exclude such a trip but almost everything about this promo is silly)

Other than trying to convince them you bought a through fare that only mapped into the Y cabin because there is no F cabin, but you already tried that...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:18 am

Just completed mine - 19,000 miles for three trips >$250. The bonus posted faster than the last flight's miles.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
My 17,000 bonus will come down to the details on fare purchase price. I have an upcoming trip that is $286 PQD with the tax/fee breakdown as below.
  • Airfare: 285.58
  • U.S. Transportation Tax: 21.42
  • September 11th Security Fee: 11.20
  • U.S. Flight Segment Tax: 8.40
  • U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 9.00
  • Per Person Total: 335.60
"The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico."

I'm pretty sure I know my own answer here, but to hit the $300 minimum ticket spend defined in my promotion that I'm $14 short? [this is my 4/4 trip]. Upfare? Ask 1k voice for $14 exception?

Thanks-
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
For the last two Mile Play Promotions I've let 200'000+ miles pass me by because I couldn't quite make the required commitments.

onthesam likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by slampe
My 17,000 bonus will come down to the details on fare purchase price. I have an upcoming trip that is $286 PQD
I'm pretty sure I know my own answer here, but to hit the $300 minimum ticket spend defined in my promotion that I'm $14 short? [this is my 4/4 trip]. Upfare? Ask 1k voice for $14 exception?.-
T&Cs are very clear, it is PQDs and doubt 1K agent can give an exception as this is a marketing/sales promo.

Upfare to the next fare class -- and ask for a change fee waiver due to the circumstances -- that is something the agent can do,
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by slampe
My 17,000 bonus will come down to the details on fare purchase price. I have an upcoming trip that is $286 PQD with the tax/fee breakdown as below.
  • Airfare: 285.58
  • U.S. Transportation Tax: 21.42
  • September 11th Security Fee: 11.20
  • U.S. Flight Segment Tax: 8.40
  • U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 9.00
  • Per Person Total: 335.60
"The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico."

I'm pretty sure I know my own answer here, but to hit the $300 minimum ticket spend defined in my promotion that I'm $14 short? [this is my 4/4 trip]. Upfare? Ask 1k voice for $14 exception?

Thanks-
Don’t count on being granted an exception; I’d HUCA until you can find an agent who will let you upfare without charging the change fee.

I was in the same spot for a DEN-MCI ticket I flew in late December. If I booked Y, it wouldn’t qualify, and the flight I wanted was too expensive if I did F....ended up booking a discount F ticket via ORD and it qualified by just enough. No reason to leave miles on the table if you’re that close.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[left]

I was planning to take the flight anyway, so the additional 2,500 bonus RDM was a no brainer.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA1K MM
Got an email congratulating me for completing Mileplay, the 9,600 Mileplay bonus showed up in my account 1/20. Noticed I never got credit for the 3X bonus for flights between HKG and the USA for a flight on 1/21. First three responses from the United Mileage Plus Service Center said my HKG trip did not qualify for the 3X fare bonus as it was a non-combinable offer with Mileplay. Except I have already completed Mileplay. Great coding on the website, again.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I've got a MP promo for 19,600 if I complete a trip in a premium seat for $1,100. I already have a booking for a premium seat that comes out to $1,098! Any ideas on how I can get an extra $2 to united to qualify?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I've got a MP promo for 19,600 if I complete a trip in a premium seat for $1,100. I already have a booking for a premium seat that comes out to $1,098! Any ideas on how I can get an extra $2 to united to qualify?
Was it booked after you signed up for the promo? Pre-existing flights do not qualify unless you can get the ticket re-issued with a qualifying post-signup date.
To get the extra PQDs, what is the lowest up-fare?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was it booked after you signed up for the promo? Pre-existing flights do not qualify unless you can get the ticket re-issued with a qualifying post-signup date.
To get the extra PQDs, what is the lowest up-fare?
It was indeed booked before but for $2 I'd be willing to risk it somehow getting reissued which just happened to another flight of mine which now qualifies. When I try to change it online for any reason it's hundreds of dollars plus change fee.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
It was indeed booked before but for $2 I'd be willing to risk it somehow getting reissued which just happened to another flight of mine which now qualifies. When I try to change it online for any reason it's hundreds of dollars plus change fee.
Call, explain the MilePlay situation and see if an agent can find a way (and waive the change fee). Some will take it as a challenge to help and ome will take it as a someone trying to game the situation. Hopefully, you get the former.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.