Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United teasing DEN-FRA on Social Media [Year-Round 787-8 Confirmed, Starts 5/2/19]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service Between Denver and Frankfurt, Germany

DENVER, Nov. 29, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL), the U.S. carrier with the most service to Germany, today announced it will begin its 15th daily nonstop flight between the United States and Germany from its hub at Denver International Airport. The airline announced it will begin year-round service between Denver and Frankfurt, Germany, beginning May 2, 2019, subject to government approval. Tickets are now available for purchase on united.com.

United's new service between Denver and Frankfurt is the only nonstop service from Denver to Germany by a U.S. carrier and is the airline's ninth flight between the United States and Frankfurt. United currently operates daily nonstop service between Frankfurt and its hubs in Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Washington Dulles.

From Denver, United will connect more than 60 cities across the Western United States including Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City and Seattle to Frankfurt.

"United is committed to expanding our global network for our customers and our employees and we are excited to continue this growth with the addition of new service between Denver and Frankfurt," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "From the mid-continent United States to the rest of the world, United offers customers more choice and more international flights and destinations than any other carrier."

United Airlines has served the Denver community since 1937 and is the only airline to continuously operate service in Denver – operating 6.5 million flights and serving more than 580 million customers.

"We are appreciative to have such a great partnership with United Airlines and that they continue to grow and invest in Denver with the addition of this new year-round transatlantic service," said DEN CEO Kim Day.
Print Wikipost

United teasing DEN-FRA on Social Media [Year-Round 787-8 Confirmed, Starts 5/2/19]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Is a one hour connection in FRA feasible to a Schengen country?
Yes. Tight. But you'll make it most of the time.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I’m glad to see UA continuing the invest in the DEN INTL network. While the LH flight is nice, more often than not there is a huge premium associated with it. I’ve booked my Dad four tickets this year from DEN to the Middle East. Each time I try adding the LH nonstop to FRA vs UA to ORD and then UA or LH to FRA and beyond, it typically incurs $2,500++ for J over the connections. I get why, but maybe there will be a slight discount. One can hope.
Given that UA and LH use the same pricing, I doubt that it will have a major impact on the fares. There will be more of the lower fare buckets available, given the second flight, so maybe you can snag a discount J seat. I'm interested what days they will be flying when the flight goes to 5 days/week. as that will impact the usefulness for business travel. Now I just need to go check the PE thread to see when the 788 is getting PE.

Personally, I like the timing as I end in FRA and have about an hour drive to my company HQ. This will allow me to have a half day of work. on Monday without leaving on Saturday. There was a quote in USAToday about this route saying that only 12% of the passengers on the current LH DEN-FRA flights actually end in FRA and that the timing is about connections from FRA.

Just looked at a trip in June and it was pricing at $3100 for Y (non-refundable). Of course, this is for Sat-Friday (business trip). The return flight only showed refundable Y. Looks like they don't have this loaded on the LH site yet. That still only shows connections on UA.

Last edited by tods27; Dec 1, 2018 at 8:49 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by EWR764
The S19 schedule is far from finalized, but right now, SFO-KIX/CTU/PPT/ZRH, DEN-LHR/NRT/FRA, IAD-LHR/PEK/ZRH are showing 788, plus some domestic. I think that schedule would work with 13 frames.
Awkward to quote myself, but the revised 788 schedule for this summer is:

DEN-FRA/LHR/NRT/IAD
IAD-LHR(late)/PEK/ZRH/DEN
SFO-CTU(3x)/PPT(3x)/ZRH

SFO-KIX goes to 787-9. The 788 schedule will probably hold up for the winter, too, with DEN-LHR being replaced by SFO-CDG-IAD or SFO-KIX.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Seems an unfortunate side effect of this new route is the removal of LH award tickets via FRA. I have been keeping my eye on a trip to Europe for Christmas-time next year and no longer do the DEN-FRA LH flights come up as an option for any routing. The LH flights always seem to have availability at 30K (each way) awards whereas all the UA metal flights are 70K minimum Seems UA (rightfully so) is pushing all award travel to UA metal now but that greatly limits options (flying through MUC is still an option - but the kids really wanted a trip on a 747 before they're completely gone).
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Pardon the ignorant question, but should this contingency about the route being "[s]ubject to receipt of government operating authority " give anyone pause in booking these flights? I mean, I presume that if UA is allowing one to purchase the tickets, they must be pretty certain that said authority will be granted. Or am I misunderstanding the notification?

FWIW, UA is currently offering this itinerary on October 4th; a post above mentioned the seasonal service ending on September 28th.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
FWIW, UA is currently offering this itinerary on October 4th; a post above mentioned the seasonal service ending on September 28th.
I would be prepared to be moved over to the LH nonstop.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pardon the ignorant question, but should this contingency about the route being "[s]ubject to receipt of government operating authority " give anyone pause in booking these flights? I mean, I presume that if UA is allowing one to purchase the tickets, they must be pretty certain that said authority will be granted. Or am I misunderstanding the notification?
It's boilerplate for all new international routes.

The US and the EU have an open-skies agreement. There is no chance that this route will be disallowed.
iapetus and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
There is no chance that this route will be disallowed.
Thanks. ^ That's what I wanted to know.

That said, if I can find a similarly priced itinerary through MUC, I might go with that instead.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Good to know it's boilerplate. I have the flight booked for Jun 8. Had thought about the LH flight but hesitated buying ticket too long and the price rose on me. Right now, the flight still looks pretty empty -- am hoping it stays that way as part of new flight-itis so my GPU clears.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
DEN->FRA direct

Just saw United tweeted an announcement. New non-stop service Denver to Frankfurt.
Has this been posted yet? I don't recall seeing it in the new routes threads...

Added
Disregard. Finally searched the right terms and found it. Looks like service started today.

Mods - can you merge please?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2019 at 8:43 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old May 2, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just saw United tweeted an announcement. New non-stop service Denver to Frankfurt.

Has this been posted yet? I don't recall seeing it in the new routes threads...
Route started today:

https://hub.united.com/united-announ...621874799.html
Old May 2, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been finding this route on itineraries between LAX and Europe this fall for a while now. It included some note about pending government approval of the route. Maybe that's been cleared?
Old May 2, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been finding this route on itineraries between LAX and Europe this fall for a while now. It included some note about pending government approval of the route. Maybe that's been cleared?
That was boilerplate; the US and EU have an open-skies agreement. UA just leaves it in place until the first flight actually occurs, presumably to match routes that actually do require approval.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
With the expectation this will be merged.

Yes, going to take it in a few weeks. It is going to be incredibly nice to have a DEN to Europe round the year option. I've soured on LH. I feel like they send their oldest plane in the fleet to DEN. Well, they send the 747 for FRA and the opposite in the A350 for MUC, but I rarely go to MUC. But their biz class makes UA look awesome, if that is somehow possible.
PushingTin likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:37 pm

Inaugural flight took a 25 min delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.