Wiki Posts
Search

Fares that allow routing past SFO-SIN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Fares that allow routing past SFO-SIN?

I've flown UA fares in the that allow a routing like EWR-SFO-HKG-BKK with BKK-HKG on CX or HX. Does anyone know of similarly permissive routing rules (on reasonably priced W fares, I know that I can do almost anything I want to with a Y fare) that include SFO-SIN? I haven't had any luck finding them from a few cities that I've spot-checked on ITA, but I'm curious if anyone else has had luck, or if the best bet is leaving ample connection time and buying a separate ticket for onward travel.

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aindfan
I've flown UA fares in the that allow a routing like EWR-SFO-HKG-BKK with BKK-HKG on CX or HX. Does anyone know of similarly permissive routing rules (on reasonably priced W fares, I know that I can do almost anything I want to with a Y fare) that include SFO-SIN? I haven't had any luck finding them from a few cities that I've spot-checked on ITA, but I'm curious if anyone else has had luck, or if the best bet is leaving ample connection time and buying a separate ticket for onward travel.

Thanks!
I tried a couple of regional cities. UA doesn't publish many fares through SIN. I was able to find one for Kota Kinabalu (BKI) with the last leg on MH, one for Kuala Lumpur (KUL) with the last leg on SQ/MI/3K/MH, and one for Denpasar / Bali (DPS) with the last leg on SQ/GA.
Santander likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I regularly do separate tix from HKG and SIN using either UA or KF miles. (Used to burn Avios on CX, but they've pretty much shut down availability.)

I would be exceptionally leery of waitlisting EWR-SFO-SIN.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would be exceptionally leery of waitlisting EWR-SFO-SIN.
As would I, which is why I'm flying on a day when I could confirm PZ at booking. I should probably go buy a lottery ticket while I'm at it! (In this case, the flight is SEA-SFO-SIN, and I'll survive an hour and a half in E+ if the first segment doesn't clear.)

Originally Posted by jsloan
I was able to find one for Kota Kinabalu (BKI) with the last leg on MH, one for Kuala Lumpur (KUL) with the last leg on SQ/MI/3K/MH, and one for Denpasar / Bali (DPS) with the last leg on SQ/GA.
Thanks for the tips! I'll keep those in mind in the future. If I can get the TPAC leg upgraded, and that leg happens to be SFO-SIN, it sure beats an upgraded SFO-NRT followed by NRT-DPS on NH in Y... at that point, the two flights are practically the same length!
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Shouldn't these type of questions be coded and put into the trick-it thread?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Shouldn't these type of questions be coded and put into the trick-it thread?
Hah!

(Actually, maybe sort of. I did once fly EWR-HKG-SGN because it was a cheaper W fare than EWR-HKG, but that was just how those markets are priced. Nothing fancy.)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus AAdvantage Mileage Plan
I would be interested in anyone here having more information on this as well. I just finished a mileage run from SFO - SIN and back.
I have done this for the past three years and since SIN is kinda expensive, I started taking cheaptickets.com flights to southeast Asia.
such as HKT, BKK, SGN .. etc.on SCOOT and this year on Vietnam Airlines.
Getting the additional miles would be great if the price remains low for some of the SFO-SIN tickets.
I did SFO-SIN-SFO for 750 bucks this year(Nov 18-27th).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA
I would be interested in anyone here having more information on this as well. I just finished a mileage run from SFO - SIN and back.
I have done this for the past three years and since SIN is kinda expensive, I started taking cheaptickets.com flights to southeast Asia.
such as HKT, BKK, SGN .. etc.on SCOOT and this year on Vietnam Airlines.
Getting the additional miles would be great if the price remains low for some of the SFO-SIN tickets.
I did SFO-SIN-SFO for 750 bucks this year(Nov 18-27th).
Use matrix.itasoftware.com . In the advanced routings section, you can specify your connection points. For a destination, try a bunch of regional airports. You can search for multiple airports at a time using commas -- e.g., KUL, HKT would search for Kuala Lumpur or Phuket.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus AAdvantage Mileage Plan
Thank You Very Much!!!
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
I tried a couple of regional cities. UA doesn't publish many fares through SIN. I was able to find one for Kota Kinabalu (BKI) with the last leg on MH, one for Kuala Lumpur (KUL) with the last leg on SQ/MI/3K/MH, and one for Denpasar / Bali (DPS) with the last leg on SQ/GA.
Could've sworn I've seen CGK as well, but I don't remember exact details.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Could've sworn I've seen CGK as well, but I don't remember exact details.
I spot-checked JKT (CGK) and the UA W fare I found doesn't allow routing via SIN. Another fare might, or you might be able to find a fare that's end-on-end combinable with a UA fare to SIN.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
I spot-checked JKT (CGK) and the UA W fare I found doesn't allow routing via SIN. Another fare might, or you might be able to find a fare that's end-on-end combinable with a UA fare to SIN.
Yea, fair enough, it's been a while since I've poked (about two months since I posted https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30280536-post31.html at least, which is the last time I really looked). While it's not a particularly good W fare, the SFO-PEN W fare is allowing routing via SIN on to JQ/MI/I-presume-the-usual-cast-of-characters.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.