United Elite recognition / compensation

Reply

Old Nov 28, 18, 6:32 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: France
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Posts: 450
Unhappy United Elite recognition / compensation

This is what a 1K and Million Miler is worth :$75 voucher and 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles) for a 4h45mn delayed EWR CDG flight....
Not really customer centered!
grenouille is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:33 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posts: 646
I think we’re lacking some context here.
Aussienarelle likes this.
rmadisonwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:35 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,578
Did your EWR-CDG flight have a base fare of 11USD?
fumje is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:37 am
  #4  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Did your EWR-CDG flight have a base fare of 11USD?
Is that how they calculate compensation? So an award ticket would be zero?
Aussienarelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:38 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 211
Something got lost in the French -> English translation..
gmt4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:42 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: TX
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Is that how they calculate compensation? So an award ticket would be zero?
Its how they calculate award miles. And yes, award tickets earn 0.
txaggiemiles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:49 am
  #7  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles View Post


Its how they calculate award miles. And yes, award tickets earn 0.
I believe OP was asking about compensation for a flight delayed more than 4 hours and also mentions a voucher. I do understand award tickets do not earn mileage, but if my award flight was delayed more than four hours I would expect more than zero (0) compensation.
Aussienarelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:04 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: TX
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I believe OP was asking about compensation for a flight delayed more than 4 hours and also mentions a voucher. I do understand award tickets do not earn mileage, but if my award flight was delayed more than four hours I would expect more than zero (0) compensation.
Nobody really knows what the OP meant. I read it, like fumje, as a seventy-five dollar ($75) voucher for a delay and one hundred twenty one (121) award miles for the ticket purchase. This is a reasonable interpretation of the OP since vouchers of award miles for delays or other service issues generally come in whole numbers, and are not generally calculated as base miles + bonus miles (but award earnings from ticket purchases are ��).
rmadisonwi likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 18 at 11:10 am Reason: Innapropriate comment removed FT Rule 12.1
txaggiemiles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:36 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: France
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Posts: 450
1) I flew EWR - CDG and I received 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles as a 1K). The ticket must have been priced at $11. Several years ago, I would have received at least the same award mileage as that flown, and often twice more.

2) This flight was delayed by 4h45 mns and the compensation I received from Unitedcares is only $75, which i don't think is enough.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 18 at 11:10 am Reason: Removed response to deleted content
grenouille is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:54 am
  #10  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Anywhere but home
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL 1MM/GM, HH Diam, AClub Plat, PC Plat, SPG/MR G
Posts: 4,104
Originally Posted by grenouille View Post
2) This flight was delayed by 4h45 mns and the compensation I received from Unitedcares is only $75, which i don't think is enough.
What was the reason for your delay? If related to weather, air traffic control, or something outside of UA's control, then you are owed nothing.
FlytheTail is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: TX
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by grenouille View Post
1) I flew EWR - CDG and I received 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles as a 1K). The ticket must have been priced at $11. Several years ago, I would have received at least the same award mileage as that flown, and often twice more.

2) This flight was delayed by 4h45 mns and the compensation I received from Unitedcares is only $75, which i don't think is enough.
Number one is a devaluation that occured a few years ago precisely to prevent what you describe - high award earnings for cheap tickets. It impacts all fliers, regardless of elite level, but I agree it hurts.

Number two is relatvie. Did the delay cause a misconnect? If so or if you think it’s low you may be able to write in and get more. $75 for four hours of sitting around doesn’t seem completely unreasonable, but for a MM you might expect more.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 18 at 11:11 am Reason: removed response to deleted content
txaggiemiles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,504
Originally Posted by grenouille View Post
1) I flew EWR - CDG and I received 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles as a 1K). The ticket must have been priced at $11. Several years ago, I would have received at least the same award mileage as that flown, and often twice more.
You paid $11 for that segment. If you had been given double the number of reward miles as you flew that would be ~7300, which even at an insanely conservative rate of 0.2 cents/mile is worth more than you paid for the flight. Is it any surprise the system was changed?

As for the delay, I'm guessing this was 18th of November. Anyone that was in/around the US North-East around that date will know that the fact your flight was ONLY delayed due to the crazy weather conditions was a good thing...
docbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:44 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by grenouille View Post
This is what a 1K and Million Miler is worth :$75 voucher and 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles) for a 4h45mn delayed EWR CDG flight....
Not really customer centered!
Was this handled by a gate agent or did you fill or the customer service form? Did you miss a connection? I mean you got delayed not cancelled which means, everyone got delayed. I think you've flown enough to know that these things happen.
skyccord is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:45 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, National Emerald Exec.
Posts: 82
If the airline is responsible for the delay you would be entitled to 600 Euros for a delay over 3 hours. If however the delay is from weather you are not entitled to anything.

AW
AugustW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:48 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA-1K MM, A3-Gold, AA-Gold
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by AugustW View Post
If the airline is responsible for the delay you would be entitled to 600 Euros for a delay over 3 hours. If however the delay is from weather you are not entitled to anything.

AW
EC261 is not applicable here. UA is US carrier and point of departure is EWR.
Often1 likes this.
hirohito888 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: