United Elite recognition / compensation

Old Nov 28, 18, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Unhappy United Elite recognition / compensation

This is what a 1K and Million Miler is worth :$75 voucher and 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles) for a 4h45mn delayed EWR CDG flight....
Not really customer centered!
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:33 am

Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I think we’re lacking some context here.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:35 am

Did your EWR-CDG flight have a base fare of 11USD?
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:37 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Did your EWR-CDG flight have a base fare of 11USD?
Is that how they calculate compensation? So an award ticket would be zero?
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Something got lost in the French -> English translation..
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Is that how they calculate compensation? So an award ticket would be zero?
Its how they calculate award miles. And yes, award tickets earn 0.
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:49 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles View Post

Its how they calculate award miles. And yes, award tickets earn 0.
I believe OP was asking about compensation for a flight delayed more than 4 hours and also mentions a voucher. I do understand award tickets do not earn mileage, but if my award flight was delayed more than four hours I would expect more than zero (0) compensation.
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I believe OP was asking about compensation for a flight delayed more than 4 hours and also mentions a voucher. I do understand award tickets do not earn mileage, but if my award flight was delayed more than four hours I would expect more than zero (0) compensation.
Nobody really knows what the OP meant. I read it, like fumje, as a seventy-five dollar ($75) voucher for a delay and one hundred twenty one (121) award miles for the ticket purchase. This is a reasonable interpretation of the OP since vouchers of award miles for delays or other service issues generally come in whole numbers, and are not generally calculated as base miles + bonus miles (but award earnings from ticket purchases are ��).
rmadisonwi likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 18 at 11:10 am Reason: Innapropriate comment removed FT Rule 12.1
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
1) I flew EWR - CDG and I received 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles as a 1K). The ticket must have been priced at $11. Several years ago, I would have received at least the same award mileage as that flown, and often twice more.

2) This flight was delayed by 4h45 mns and the compensation I received from Unitedcares is only $75, which i don't think is enough.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 18 at 11:10 am Reason: Removed response to deleted content
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:54 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL 1MM/GM, HH Diam, AClub Plat, PC Plat, SPG/MR G
Originally Posted by grenouille View Post
2) This flight was delayed by 4h45 mns and the compensation I received from Unitedcares is only $75, which i don't think is enough.
What was the reason for your delay? If related to weather, air traffic control, or something outside of UA's control, then you are owed nothing.
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:55 am

1) I flew EWR - CDG and I received 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles as a 1K). The ticket must have been priced at $11. Several years ago, I would have received at least the same award mileage as that flown, and often twice more.

Number one is a devaluation that occured a few years ago precisely to prevent what you describe - high award earnings for cheap tickets. It impacts all fliers, regardless of elite level, but I agree it hurts.

Number two is relatvie. Did the delay cause a misconnect? If so or if you think it’s low you may be able to write in and get more. $75 for four hours of sitting around doesn’t seem completely unreasonable, but for a MM you might expect more.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 18 at 11:11 am Reason: removed response to deleted content
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
You paid $11 for that segment. If you had been given double the number of reward miles as you flew that would be ~7300, which even at an insanely conservative rate of 0.2 cents/mile is worth more than you paid for the flight. Is it any surprise the system was changed?

As for the delay, I'm guessing this was 18th of November. Anyone that was in/around the US North-East around that date will know that the fact your flight was ONLY delayed due to the crazy weather conditions was a good thing...
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
This is what a 1K and Million Miler is worth :$75 voucher and 121 award miles (55 base miles + 66 bonus miles) for a 4h45mn delayed EWR CDG flight....
Not really customer centered!
Was this handled by a gate agent or did you fill or the customer service form? Did you miss a connection? I mean you got delayed not cancelled which means, everyone got delayed. I think you've flown enough to know that these things happen.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, National Emerald Exec.
If the airline is responsible for the delay you would be entitled to 600 Euros for a delay over 3 hours. If however the delay is from weather you are not entitled to anything.

AW
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:48 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, A3-Gold, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by AugustW View Post
If the airline is responsible for the delay you would be entitled to 600 Euros for a delay over 3 hours. If however the delay is from weather you are not entitled to anything.

AW
EC261 is not applicable here. UA is US carrier and point of departure is EWR.
Often1 likes this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: