Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Elite recognition / compensation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I'm really curious... how is it possible to have a $3 segment of a few thousand miles?
Weird things happen in the bowels of UA's computers. UA actually publishes quite a few near-zero base fares, where the bulk of their revenue shows up as YQ ("fuel surcharge"). It's possible that this is a mistake and the YQ was omitted; it's also possible that the YQ was allocated to a different flight in the itinerary. I never worry about missing PQD / award miles until all of my flight segments have posted. I just update my spreadsheet with whatever amount I'm short (or ahead) to make sure I know what I'm looking for.

Since the introduction of PQD, I've only had to write in once. Others are less fortunate.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Back in the day when I used to fly with NWA, they would hand out compensation like candy.

Now that I've been flying with CO and then UA for 10 years, I'm conditioned to expect nothing. And nothing is what I get. I can't remember the last time I got any compensation (probably a few years ago when they kicked me and my son out of first on a red-eye flight back to IAH from LAX, and even then I had to ask via email and reference GG OVS DOWNGRADE).

I guess I'm saying: $75 for a 4-hour delay... sounds awesome (as in, much better than nothing) to me!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:58 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
As a counterpoint I was delayed by a few hours on a LHR-EWR flight back in August and received 7500 miles in compensation. In my experience over the last few years I've always been offered something for a non-weather delay over two hours. And I'm only a lowly Gold. It makes you wonder if the compensation system is automated based on certain criteria, or manual?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TCD
As a counterpoint I was delayed by a few hours on a LHR-EWR flight back in August and received 7500 miles in compensation. In my experience over the last few years I've always been offered something for a non-weather delay over two hours. And I'm only a lowly Gold. It makes you wonder if the compensation system is automated based on certain criteria, or manual?
LHR-EWR would be included in EU.261. How long was your delay?

The compensation system is mostly manual. If they mark a particular flight as having had an issue, then everyone can go to the appreciation page and get an automated offer. But if not, each affected passenger has to write in and will be handled manually.

Compensation for mechanical delays under 4 hours is rare, barring EU.261 (which starts at 3 hours).
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cjermain
Now that I've been flying with CO and then UA for 10 years, I'm conditioned to expect nothing. And nothing is what I get.
Wow that's not my experience at all. My last comp was 15k miles for an mx delay slightly under four hours in August, which was more than I expected.

If you want nothing, try AS
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by grenouille
"Anyone that was in/around the US North-East around that date will know that the fact your flight was ONLY delayed due to the crazy weather conditions was a good thing..." which is wrong because the reason was mecanic and they swapped aircraft 2 hours after realizing they could no fix the issue!
$250 ETC is what you should push for. 1k and MX is about that based on my most recent expierience for a similar length of delay. That was of course in J, not sure if UA now differentiates that.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Happy to share the details for our res:

Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bakster21
Happy to share the details:

That looks like a $41 half-round-trip base fare with a $200 YQ fuel surcharge each way, and they allocated 100% of the YQ to the return leg. I assume the total ticket cost was around $550 or so?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:23 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by jsloan
LHR-EWR would be included in EU.261. How long was your delay?

The compensation system is mostly manual. If they mark a particular flight as having had an issue, then everyone can go to the appreciation page and get an automated offer. But if not, each affected passenger has to write in and will be handled manually.

Compensation for mechanical delays under 4 hours is rare, barring EU.261 (which starts at 3 hours).
It's a while back but I think about 2h40m in the end, as I remember starting to get excited as we approached the 3h mark.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, that sounds right as I recall.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Can't get https://www.united.com/unitedcares/ to load or respond properly.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
Can't get https://www.united.com/unitedcares/ to load or respond properly.
I don't use that. Suggest using either the customer care webform, or if 1K, 1kvoice.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cjermain
Back in the day when I used to fly with NWA, they would hand out compensation like candy.

Now that I've been flying with CO and then UA for 10 years, I'm conditioned to expect nothing. And nothing is what I get. I can't remember the last time I got any compensation (probably a few years ago when they kicked me and my son out of first on a red-eye flight back to IAH from LAX, and even then I had to ask via email and reference GG OVS DOWNGRADE).

I guess I'm saying: $75 for a 4-hour delay... sounds awesome (as in, much better than nothing) to me!
And now you can't get them to answer the phone.

Bottom line is that there is no compensation for these delays. It is all customer service gestures in the sole discretion of the carrier.

I suspect that OP has two entirely separate issues. One is the MP system for crediting what used to be miles flown and the other is for receiving too little for a delay.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That looks like a $41 half-round-trip base fare with a $200 YQ fuel surcharge each way, and they allocated 100% of the YQ to the return leg. I assume the total ticket cost was around $550 or so?
I'm guessing it's a YQ/YR thing because of the mix of carriers TATL, confused the computer into assigning all of it to one direction.
jsloan and bakster21 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat Elite
If you don't like the compensation you received, write back and request that they re-consider. Don't mention the low number of award miles unless you have a reason to think that's a mistake (i.e., it doesn't match what was on your receipt).

A four hour delay is pretty much the minimum for which they provide compensation, and it basically seems random as to how much any particular individual will receive. I certainly wouldn't take it personally.

I would second that... In fact, I wouldn't even mention the first compensation that you were given. Just write an e-mail or provide feedback using the link on their website to United Cares. In 2-3 days, I'll bet you will get a response and an electronic certificate for $150 - $200. And you will likely be able to keep the original $75 cert as well as the United Cares person likely won't know you already received that. I've seen it happen before...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.