Q: What's the issue with many NRSAs?

Old Nov 27, 18, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Q: What's the issue with many NRSAs?

On a flight with multiple NSRAs right now.

Answer to title question:
All FAs are doting over their NSRA friends and neglecting other pax.

In my non-scientific opinion: the larger the NR
Old Nov 27, 18, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Last I checked, a NRSA flyer on the plane is a passenger - just like yourself.

If they want to make a co-worker feel extra special, I see nothing wrong with that. No need to demonize NRSA fliers.

If it really bothers you that much, ring the flight attendant call button and express your displeasure.
tuolumne, Newark7 and TPJ like this.
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Are you being neglected or just left out of their water cooler chit chat?
Old Nov 27, 18, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Last I checked, a NRSA flyer on the plane is a passenger - just like yourself.

If they want to make a co-worker feel extra special, I see nothing wrong with that. No need to demonize NRSA fliers.

If it really bothers you that much, ring the flight attendant call button and express your displeasure.
Nothing wrong with prioritizing them over paid customers as appears to be the case here?
Old Nov 27, 18, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Nothing wrong with prioritizing them over paid customers as appears to be the case here?
What prioritizing? They want to chat with a coworker? When I fly, I'm totally fine without FA's chatting with me, even though I often see the same ones on HNL-SFO flights, although to be fair, a NRSA has no shot on a Hawaii flight in F.

Should a general member be outraged when they pay the same on a ticket as a Global Services customer and the GS gets a bunch of extras and usually special treatment? It isn't like a general member is going to be warned at ticketing they are not as special as a GS.
amtrakusa likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:08 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by narvik View Post

In my non-scientific opinion: the larger the NR
the question is, did it impact service? is FA chatting so your meal is delayed by 30 mins? if so, that is a problem. If not, i don't see a problem of FA being specially "friendly" with people they know, who might or might not be NRSAs.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by amtrakusa View Post
the question is, did it impact service? is FA chatting so your meal is delayed by 30 mins? if so, that is a problem. If not, i don't see a problem of FA being specially "friendly" with people they know, who might or might not be NRSAs.
Well by definition neglecting other pax impacts service so if we take OP's account at face value, then Houston we have a problem.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by narvik View Post

It's indeed odd that all of the flight attendants on a particular flight appear to be drag racing groupies. (NSRA)
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:26 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott LTPP / Ambassador
What prioritizing? They want to chat with a coworker? When I fly, I'm totally fine without FA's chatting with me, even though I often see the same ones on HNL-SFO flights, although to be fair, a NRSA has no shot on a Hawaii flight in F.

Should a general member be outraged when they pay the same on a ticket as a Global Services customer and the GS gets a bunch of extras and usually special treatment? It isn't like a general member is going to be warned at ticketing they are not as special as a GS.
I think there is an over emphasis on "usually"...... :-) I've been sat on UA 31 for the last 5 hours and the treatment is anything but special.....
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I think what the OP observed was an F/A going a bit overboard with professional courtesy. It has nothing to do with them being "friends". It would be quite rare for them to have even known each other. It's the same even when the non-rev passengers would for a different airline. I once had a Lufthansa F/A bring me a business class amenity kit on a FRA-BAH leg on which I was traveling, in-uniform, as a paid revenue passenger.

The problem is when the F/As do this in a way that is not discrete. It should not be noticeable to the other passengers and should not affect the service that they receive.
narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Apologies for my post.
It appeared to me as unposted, so I never bothered to correct it or finish it.
There are, nevertheless, good comments in the replies.

What struck me most, and the reason for starting the thread, was that in dealing with the NRSAs (not NSRAs ) it was apparent that the FAs could indeed smile and be courteous. Just a shame they couldn't extend this to the rest of the cabin.

It was once again clear with several FAs on this most recent flight, that passengers are the number one reason why the FAs aren't enjoying their work....well, except if they happen to know the passengers.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 28, 18, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

Sorry I disagree - NRSA are not to be prioritized in any way, for service, food, beverages or attention. If, after all services have been provided, there is a gap in the service plan on a longer flight and they want to chat quietly and discreetly in the galley, that's fine - but I take offense to chatting in the cabin area, talking across other passengers, or providing extras/freebies, etc to NRSA. In fact, the rules are clear that NRSA shall get the last choice of meal and beverages on the flight and will be denied service if there is not enough catering on board.

NRSA are like children - they should be neither seen, nor heard, and amazingly enough, I was able to follow these simple rules during the years I flew as a NRSA on Eastern and Delta.
PTahCha, greg99, cesco.g and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post

NRSA are like children - they should be neither seen, nor heard
Interesting. Perhaps a boarding announcement should be in order - "As we welcome you to our flight, a reminder to all parents - your children shall not be either seen, nor heard"

Anyway, in my years flying NRSA, I recall no such rule requiring me to not have any social interaction with crew whatsoever - because there wasn't. Perhaps Eastern and Delta is more strict in this area.
fightingsioux09 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 3:28 pm

Sorry I disagree - NRSA are not to be prioritized in any way, for service, food, beverages or attention. If, after all services have been provided, there is a gap in the service plan on a longer flight and they want to chat quietly and discreetly in the galley, that's fine - but I take offense to chatting in the cabin area, talking across other passengers, or providing extras/freebies, etc to NRSA. In fact, the rules are clear that NRSA shall get the last choice of meal and beverages on the flight and will be denied service if there is not enough catering on board.

NRSA are like children - they should be neither seen, nor heard, and amazingly enough, I was able to follow these simple rules during the years I flew as a NRSA on Eastern and Delta.
Children should be neither seen nor heard? And expecting adult employees - of whom some may be executives - to sit in silence to keep you content and ensure they only get their last choice of food and drink?
fightingsioux09 and jinglish like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 18 at 4:24 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Nov 28, 18, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Like cranky passengers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: