Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q: What's the issue with many NRSAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Hammer0425

Children should be neither seen nor heard? And expecting adult employees - of whom some may be executives - to sit in silence to keep you content and ensure they only get their last choice of food and drink?
You may be unfamiliar with nonrev rules, but all nonrevs regardless of their "executive" status get last choice of food and drink, and may be asked to go without in case of insufficient options. You may not like it, but that's the way it is. A cabin crew who prioritizes a meal selection for a nonrev is in violation of long established rules. In fact, the nonrev rules which I flew under specifically stated that I was to answer "if you have enough" when asked for my meal choice to clearly remind the cabin crew that I was nonrev and any inflight service was a space/time-available courtesy.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting. Perhaps a boarding announcement should be in order - "As we welcome you to our flight, a reminder to all parents - your children shall not be either seen, nor heard"

Anyway, in my years flying NRSA, I recall no such rule requiring me to not have any social interaction with crew whatsoever - because there wasn't. Perhaps Eastern and Delta is more strict in this area.
As far as "sitting in silence" or "not having any social interaction", the rules are clear - nonrevs are not to behave in a manner which is directly, or could be perceived as disruptive to other customers. That means a social interaction in the cabin, audible to customers, is not permitted - social interactions can happen out of earshot, discreetly, in the galley. A crew member chatting with a colleague by talking over other customers is not only a violation of behavior policies, but just plain rude.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
You may be unfamiliar with nonrev rules, but all nonrevs regardless of their "executive" status get last choice of food and drink, and may be asked to go without in case of insufficient options. You may not like it, but that's the way it is. A cabin crew who prioritizes a meal selection for a nonrev is in violation of long established rules. In fact, the nonrev rules which I flew under specifically stated that I was to answer "if you have enough" when asked for my meal choice to clearly remind the cabin crew that I was nonrev and any inflight service was a space/time-available courtesy.

As far as "sitting in silence" or "not having any social interaction", the rules are clear - nonrevs are not to behave in a manner which is directly, or could be perceived as disruptive to other customers. That means a social interaction in the cabin, audible to customers, is not permitted - social interactions can happen out of earshot, discreetly, in the galley. A crew member chatting with a colleague by talking over other customers is not only a violation of behavior policies, but just plain rude.
Perhaps it’s worth considering that some of the responses here are coming from current employees who are much more familiar with actual written policy over what you are assuming to be “rules.” Policies that you flew under decades ago with Eastern may not exist anymore. But I digress, your initial response was fairly condescending. Airline employees shall be like children and neither be seen nor heard is a pretty lame comment.
tuolumne and GFrye like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
That means a social interaction in the cabin, audible to customers, is not permitted - social interactions can happen out of earshot, discreetly, in the galley.
There is no such rule unless UA specifically has a wacky set of non-industry standard rules.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another common rule that's often violated by NRSAs is that they are not permitted to request to swap seats, although they can be asked to swap, for instance if a revenue passenger's seat won't recline, has no light, or has an AVOD system that isn't working.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I used to fly NRSA quite often and recall no real special treatment. Occasionally a flight attendant would give me a free drink or snack box if I was flying in Y.

I would certainly never ask a revenue passenger to swap seats with me.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
There is no such rule unless UA specifically has a wacky set of non-industry standard rules.
There most certainly is a rule that states NRSAs shall not engage in behavior which is disruptive towards revenue customers - that rule covers a wide range of examples, from talking over customers, speaking loudly when revenue customers are trying to rest, insisting on seat changes, insisting on meal choice, stealing upgrades, etc etc.

There has always been a requirement that NRSA be essentially invisible and unknown to revenue customers and have absolutely zero priority with regard to inflight service or product offerings.

The rule is pretty general and fairly easy to follow for those who know how to act professionally.

I am really shocked at the assertions that NRSA should be offered a form of 'equivalency' with revenue customers. This has never been the case - on any airline - except where employees are acting out of control and bypassing NRSA rules to take care of each other - something that happens far too often on United with management far too often looking the other way even when incidents are complained about.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:22 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Boca, rules have changed. Back when I was a 10yr old flying out of DCA on UA, next to an Eastern gate, I was denied boarding as an NRSA as I had no tie and the only seat was in F (back then, you wanted F, you bought it, full retail, no discount and no such thing as an upgrade. And NRSA in F, if male needed both a tie and either a sweater or suit jacket)

today’s rules for both pricing, inventory, routing, twin operations over water, obtaining F without paying for it, and yes, NRSA flying are very different than they were in the 70’s
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
I am really shocked at the assertions that NRSA should be offered a form of 'equivalency' with revenue customers. This has never been the case - on any airline - except where employees are acting out of control and bypassing NRSA rules to take care of each other - something that happens far too often on United with management far too often looking the other way even when incidents are complained about.
I don't know the rules, never been a NRSA, but if you are riding on the free capacity of your company, you should absolutely prioritize those that are paying the bills of the airplane on which you are currently sitting.

Back to the original point, I don't care if they are a NRSA or their father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, if their interaction has a material impact on the service you have received, then it's going too far to me. I don't care if they are exchanging smiles, having friendly banter while providing service, and being accommodating with someone, even if they seem to be wholly unable to do so with other customers. So not knowing the situation, the fine line is did it really impact you.

It shouldn't be this hard - treat everyone equally. I think I learned this lesson in a grocery store in high school when my buds would come over for service at this grocery store deli. And that was friend chicken - I would hope we don't need to debate this on an airline where someone is paying big bucks.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
today’s rules for both pricing, inventory, routing, twin operations over water, obtaining F without paying for it, and yes, NRSA flying are very different than they were in the 70’s
Agreed, I don't know what is was like flying NRSA in the 70's (or even 80's or 90's) - but in 2018, the rules are fairly simple.

1) There is a dress code: Where I worked, for guys, it was slacks, collared shirt, no sandals. Business Casual would be a good description. If I gave a pass to a woman, I'd cut and past the dress code and email it to the person. The dress code where I worked was not well received, as it was a Hawaiian Airline. But, gate agents would not make exceptions.

2) Do not hover and ask gate agents if you are getting on. Wait for your name to be called.

3) Take the seat you are assigned and only that seat. Take whatever meal is left.

4) Do not announce to your seatmate you are flying NRSA. In my opinion, this rule was mostly because so many people have something against NRSA fliers and the airline didn't want to deal with it. This rule is broken all the time - and I don't find it a big deal, I've lost count on how many times I've had a conversation with a seatmate, and they'll say they work UA, or a friend is a UA employee, etc.

5) And in the world of common sense, don't get drunk. Quite frankly, this is the one that trips up people more than anything else, I had a few instances where I had to speak to one of my employees about a report on a flight they took - they got warned - and they never acted up again.

It wasn't that complicated. Much of it was common sense. There are certainly no rule you can't socialize with a fellow passenger or FA - and if flying upfront, you get the benefits of up front, meal, drinks, etc. There is no rule you must be a zombie and not utter a word the entire flight.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plc44
I used to fly NRSA quite often and recall no real special treatment. Occasionally a flight attendant would give me a free drink or snack box if I was flying in Y.
I would certainly never ask a revenue passenger to swap seats with me.
Been there .... and got the "dirty look", just because I opted to keep my aisle seat.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Is it just me but I've never had a problem with NRSAs on any of my flights ever. I believe an overwhelming majority of NRSA fliers understand they are receiving a huge privilege and treat it as such (and the airlines should maintain this benefit for their employees).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Is it just me but I've never had a problem with NRSAs on any of my flights ever. I believe an overwhelming majority of NRSA fliers understand they are receiving a huge privilege and treat it as such (and the airlines should maintain this benefit for their employees).
Agree - most are like the poor NRSA I had in 21B once who felt like he should cede both armrests to revenue pax and just looked miserable sitting there with no space.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I saw liking, when the FAs were dealing with the known [possibly returning crew] NRSAs which immediately seemed to turn to contempt when progressing down the isle and dealing with "regular", mostly Chinese passengers.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I fly a huge amount on United, and I've only once ever really noticed an NRSA on board. The person was sitting next to me, and we chatted a bit. My sense is that being a flight attendant or pilot is a very demanding tough job with not great cash pay for what it is, and NRSA travel is part of their compensation. I see no reason why they should have to behave like stoics while traveling, although I also do not condone rudeness to passengers.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
This particular flight appeared to have 5 NRSAs.
I've also never witnessed such blatant behavior by FAs on any previous UA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.