Wiki Posts
Search

Is UA having a lot of Pre-Check errors?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Is UA having a lot of Pre-Check errors?

I'm seeing a pattern here regarding pre-check not showing up on some boarding passes of an itinerary but still showing up on others (one direction).

For example, tomorrow I have GRU-ORD-SFO-ICN.

I have pre-check showing on SFO-ICN only, it didn't show up on ORD-SFO, which is senseless as that's the point I clear US immigration and enter TSA security. I'm not leaving the secure area in SFO, so why would they allow it there but not ORD?

I've seen similar recently as well, last week I had ICN-SFO-IAD... oddly precheck didn't print on my SFO-IAD paper boarding pass but it did show up on the mobile boarding pass.

Why this inconsistency lately? Never happened before November to me, it was either all or nothing. Even when I've had SSSS itineraries, I still had precheck on subsequent segments.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I had a SAN-SFO-AKL print Pre only on SFO-AKL.. didn't even notice until I got turned away at the checkpoint. I went back to the counter and asked the agent to "poke" the reservation.. not sure what keys were hit but the second try printed a Pre BP.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've had some luck with reprinting a BP at a kiosk at the connecting airport after swiping my global entry card.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm curious if this is a UA only problem or not? I so rarely fly other airlines in the US, last time was HA on some short inter-island flights and they did print my pre-check as normal. Other than that I haven't had a non-UA domestic flight in 3 years.

It never happened to me before the new UA.com website, so that's my suspicion as to the root of the problem, but not sure. Saw in another thread to message TSA on twitter and they'll fix it quickly, they however didn't even respond that I'm aware of, don't think my Twitter notifications are turned off.

Finally I was able to resolve this issue by using the 'workaround' to un-check myself from the flight then check in again. That's frankly ridiculous and a non-Flyertalk person would never even think of it. Even to un-check yourself from a flight on United.com is not a straightforward process like it is on a number of other airlines.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'm seeing a pattern here regarding pre-check not showing up on some boarding passes of an itinerary but still showing up on others (one direction)....
You did not mention it -- but you do have a TTN / GE?
Is the TTN missing when the PreCheck is missing?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You did not mention it -- but you do have a TTN / GE?
Is the TTN missing when the PreCheck is missing?
I do have a KTN number stored in my Milage Plus profile, I did double check that it was in the passenger information part of the reservation first, but this ticket was.bought on United.com so no reason it wouldn't have auto populated.

But then again it's not an.issue of pre-check being entirely absent, it's an issue of it only showing up on some segments and not others, notably the only segment where one would normally be going through TSA security.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I do have a KTN number stored in my Milage Plus profile, I did double check that it was in the passenger information part of the reservation first, but this ticket was.bought on United.com so no reason it wouldn't have auto populated.

But then again it's not an.issue of pre-check being entirely absent, it's an issue of it only showing up on some segments and not others, notably the only segment where one would normally be going through TSA security.
Does ORD have TSA-pre when connecting from international flights? I went through there in July and seem to remember I did use a TSA-pre line, but connecting through IAH from an international flight a couple of weeks ago there was no TSA-pre line, although my BP did note TSA-pre.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Does ORD have TSA-pre when connecting from international flights? I went through there in July and seem to remember I did use a TSA-pre line, but connecting through IAH from an international flight a couple of weeks ago there was no TSA-pre line, although my BP did note TSA-pre.
Virtually all domestic flights at ORD depart from T1-T2-T3 (1 and 2 for UA), and international flights arrive into T5, so you just use the regular security lines when connecting. In other words, yes, by virtue of there not being a dedicated security line for connections.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Virtually all domestic flights at ORD depart from T1-T2-T3 (1 and 2 for UA), and international flights arrive into T5, so you just use the regular security lines when connecting. In other words, yes, by virtue of there not being a dedicated security line for connections.
So they have removed TSA-pre at ORD? I seem to remember we had to hunt it down at ORD but there was a TSA-pre line, which as you note we went through after we got off the tram from the other terninal.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
There is TSA precheck at IAH, when you come out of international arrivals doors and see the bag drop for connections, don't follow the line (and signs) upstairs after you drop the bags. Continue to the left and go out the doors and you'll see an area that takes you to the normal Term E security checkpoint. Its not obvious when you come out of the customs hall and if you follow the crowds you'll likely end up wrong again.

So they have removed TSA-pre at ORD? I seem to remember we had to hunt it down at ORD but there was a TSA-pre line, which as you note we went through after we got off the tram from the other terninal.
TSA precheck is at ORD, huge obvious signs at the security check points for Term 1 & 2, going to concourses B, C and F where UA has gates. No precheck in T-5 though.

You can check on TSA precheck hours and locations here:

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule
Aussienarelle and 1P like this.

Last edited by gmt4; Nov 28, 2018 at 5:54 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
TSA Pre definitely still exists at ORD (unless it's been removed since Monday 11/19.)

I think what @rmadisonwi was saying is that "When you arrive at ORD from an international flight, you arrive into T5. While in T5, you clear customs, and you enter landside space. You then take the train to the other terminals (T1/T2 for UA), and then you're just like any other passenger who is flying ex-ORD, and you have to clear any type of security, including TSA Pre, to get airside again."

-mvitale
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by gmt4
There is TSA precheck at IAH, when you come out of international arrivals doors and see the bag drop for connections, don't follow the line (and signs) upstairs after you drop the bags. Continue to the left and go out the doors and you'll see an area that takes you to the normal Term E security checkpoint. Its not obvious when you come out of the customs hall and if you follow the crowds you'll likely end up wrong again.
Thank you. I have been finding the international connection through IAH very frustrating but have another flight booked through there so will use your tip!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Travel agent? Use another stored ticket.

I recently had this happen to me twice. How quickly we forget the inconvenience and misery of taking off our shoes, jacket, and taking out laptops and tablets.

Do you use a travel agent or corporate scheduler?

I leave weekly from DIA though Clear and pre-✔️. I instinctively went to the pre-✔️ lane after clear and was told I didn't have pre-✔️. Preposterous I thought! After putting my shoes back on and computer back in my bag, I called 1K to figure out why I had suddenly lost pre-✔️. Turns out that for whatever reason the travel agent was able to alter my DOB that was in both profiles. My ticket was still valid and issued (great security &#128078 but my DOB error blocked pre-✔️. 1K changed it on their end and when I refreshed the app the ticket and my other segments were pre-✔️!

The other thing I (scarily for public safety) found out was that the pass readers at the TSA desks, even at dedicated pre-✔️ lines, do not check pre-✔️ status on the issued ticket.

I was at JFK, my father had booked Delta reward flights for a family trip but didn't add my KTN. So no pre-✔️. I didn't want to go to the forever snaking normal line. So I pulled up a recently completed United ticket with pre-✔️ clearance. I presented that at the various "show me your ticket" checkpoints. When I got to the TSA agent with the machine I switched it over to the Delta non pre-✔️ ticket and scanned it no problem. My ID was real and matched my face, name, and DOB. Good to go with my shoes on and electronics tucked away!

Has anyone else found this to work in a pinch/booking error situation?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:52 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gmt4
Absolutely right. But beware, when you drop off your bag(s) for connections the agents there will try to make you go upstairs, sometimes quite forcibly. You need to have a cover story ready: you are meeting a friend outside the terminal (not that it's any of their business, of course), or you need the lavatory first (better). And if the latter is true and you did go upstairs with the rest of the herd, where there is no PreCheck lane, the lines are so long that you'd probably pee your pants before you got through....
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA-Gold, HH-Diamond
Um... What is the procedure for unchecking yourself in on a flight? Are there any negative consequences?

-Goat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.