business class flight to India

Old Nov 26, 18, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
business class flight to India

I am looking for flights to India from US (LAX or SFO). I am United 1K. Business class roundtrip in March is priced at $13K!! Is that normal? I am now trying to figure out which Star Alliance partner can I go through to get PDQ/PQM. United is not showing any Air India options but the ticket is priced at $3500, Singapore will be $7K.

The AI flight has the best timing but I am not sure if I can risk flying AI (I heard they might not have lie-flat beds). Do I have to call the 1K desk to see if they can find the same flight and book using 016 code to get PQD?

OTOH, I am open to buying a $3800 M-class economy ticket if the upgrade is possible. But, looks like I will have to deal with Lufthansa for that as most of the flights are on lufthansa. Does M-class fare via United allow for auto-upgrade on Lufthansa? I see 6 open M class seats.

Last edited by nealsense; Nov 26, 18 at 6:45 pm Reason: more clarification.
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nealsense View Post
The AI flight has the best timing but I am not sure if I can risk flying AI (I heard they might not have lie-flat beds). Do I have to call the 1K desk to see if they can find the same flight and book using 016 code to get PQD?
Highly doubtful that AI fare can be ticketed by UA, and guaranteed the discount SQ fare cannot.

OTOH, I am open to buying a $3800 M-class economy ticket if the upgrade is possible. But, looks like I will have to deal with Lufthansa for that as most of the flights are on lufthansa. Does M-class fare via United allow for auto-upgrade on Lufthansa? I see 6 open M class seats.
No such thing. You are confusing the Y/B/M "instant upgrade" which is only available on CPU eligible flights. Long-haul international is not CPU eligible. If you want to upgrade to India, you must use an instrument. As a 1K, presumably you have GPUs? A Q fare or higher is GPU eligible on LH.
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
As a 1K, presumably you have GPUs? A Q fare or higher is GPU eligible on LH.
But note that you'll need two instruments if you want to upgrade all the way through to India on LH. Each GPU can be used for a single LH flight.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
My recommendation needs to be avoid AI. They aren't reliable. I got good crews, but got busted planes, bad service on the ground. Food is not bad though - there is something about good chicken tandoori.

On UA - forget it. Both flights out of EWR are usually badly overpriced. I guess the seats are selling briskly from EWR.

East coast, J should not set you back more than 3k-4k. AC and LH and LX are good options through Toronto, Vancouver, Frankfurt, Munich and Zurich. Asiana may be affordable, ANA probably less. SQ, well, that's luxury!

A quick search on the Web for flights out of LAX Mar 9th->16 shows United/Lufthansa and Air Canada options available for $3.7K (seems it is Priceline, so I don't know if it books in 016, probably not, but usually the miles are coming in). That is not the cheapest. The absolute cheapest is China Eastern for $2.1K. Their service is not bad, their hard product at least out of JFK is superior to United except for the new Polaris.

So, if I were you, I would shop. M class doesn't seem the best option.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'd break the trip up - you can fly LAX-SIN on UA for $4,200 rt in biz in March. Buy another ticket to get you SIN-India.
cricketer and gmt4 like this.
Old Nov 27, 18, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like my options are limited as I do want as few stopovers as possible and a relatively short flight. AI is for $3500, Emirates (not star alliance for $4700 and Singapore for $8K with good routing or $6K with crappy one. It's so weird that I can find a BA/AA flight for $5300, but no luck with Star Alliance!
Old Nov 27, 18, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I see lots of UA/LH biz options LAX-FRA-BOM rt for $3,500 in March
Old Nov 27, 18, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Saying "UA is $13K" is basically meaningless. That is not the least expensive fare published or likely over any reasonable range of UA dates and routings, so you're just playing an inventory game. Inventory changes all the time, so it may show up later.
Old Nov 27, 18, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
SFO/LAX to BOM/DEL were consistently $3-5k last year for roundtrip J, but I've also been seeing mostly $10-14k fares in the past couple months for UA metal.

Crazy how quickly these things can change. (Last year it was the SIN flights that cost significantly more.)
Old Nov 27, 18, 3:45 pm

find a travel agent who specializes in India fares
Old Nov 27, 18, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum. SPG/Marriott Hilton all gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I see lots of UA/LH biz options LAX-FRA-BOM rt for $3,500 in March
Likewise, weíve been looking at many LAX-YYZ-BOM on AC codeshare flights for around $3,200 (19,800 PQM, 1,500 PQD) in March
Old Nov 29, 18, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Got a United ticket for $4500 as I played around with dates (added 1 day on both ends of the itinerary). United on the way out to FRA and then Lufthansa for the other 3 flights. I get both PQD ($4.5K) and PQM (~41K).
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 29, 18, 11:37 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I am looking for flights to India from US (LAX or SFO). I am United 1K. Business class roundtrip in March is priced at $13K!! Is that normal? I am now trying to figure out which Star Alliance partner can I go through to get PDQ/PQM. United is not showing any Air India options but the ticket is priced at $3500, Singapore will be $7K.

D class is bookable through google flights on AC as a UA codeshare on UA.com for ~4355 from LAX-YVR-DEL for plenty of dates in March. There is also a lot available through YYZ but travel times are much shorter through YVR and that is a very nice airport for transit. AC also has PE.
Old Nov 29, 18, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone see anything via EWR?

Iím trying to stay on UA metal as much as I can.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: