Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Really annoying award availability glitch

Old Nov 26, 18, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I'm searching for saver premium award travel from EZE to EWR or BDL in July, and the calendar view regularly shows dates as having saver award premium cabin availability, but then when I click on the dates, there actually isn't any saver available. Attaching a picture. Has anyone experienced this before?

Old Nov 26, 18, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
How current is that screenshot? I thought United did away with that display months ago.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:24 am

Programs: UA MP HH
Have you looked at all the possible flight combos? This sometimes is limited to one particular flight of the many combos. It is not typically for every flight on that route.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
How current is that screenshot? I thought United did away with that display months ago.
it's from today

Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
Have you looked at all the possible flight combos? This sometimes is limited to one particular flight of the many combos. It is not typically for every flight on that route.
not sure exactly what you mean, how would i do that?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 18 at 3:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by dpakman91 View Post
why don't you start sorting by saver award amount first, instead of flight duration? it is like you are sorting by time, but you are really looking for cheapest price.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Are you restricting your search to 1-stop options?

The calendar is frequently wrong, and has been since time immemorial. Sometimes it shows a false positive, and sometimes it shows a false negative. It's pretty much useless as a tool for finding awards - you have to manually search each day.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:43 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
I've seen that type of error before. Easiest way to overcome the false reading it's getting is to search the EZE-EWR or EZE-IAH direct to see if I class is available. Then search EWR/IAH-BDL separately. Sometimes if the domestic flight has no X or I space you can get that false reading and vice versa. It's annoying but I've given up on UA's system being accurate. Also, have you scrolled down further. It might be coming up with a Copa flight in Business?

You're other option is to use the KVS tool or Expertflyer.com.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
The award calendar has always returned errors. Though as noted you should sort by "business saver award" to be sure there's nothing being offered.
Originally Posted by mh3265a View Post
I've seen that type of error before. Easiest way to overcome the false reading it's getting is to search the EZE-EWR or EZE-IAH direct to see if I class is available. Then search EWR/IAH-BDL separately.
That will not necessarily work because the availability may differ for the married segments and/or .com may not offer the combined itinerary.
Old Nov 26, 18, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Are you restricting your search to 1-stop options?

The calendar is frequently wrong, and has been since time immemorial. Sometimes it shows a false positive, and sometimes it shows a false negative. It's pretty much useless as a tool for finding awards - you have to manually search each day.
yeah i was restricting to 1 stop since that's what i'm looking for, i do get more options when i do 2 stops. do you think the calendar is accurate for 2 stops but since i restricted to 1 stop, they simply don't show in the list when i click a particular date?
Old Nov 26, 18, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
yeah i was restricting to 1 stop since that's what i'm looking for, i do get more options when i do 2 stops. do you think the calendar is accurate for 2 stops but since i restricted to 1 stop, they simply don't show in the list when i click a particular date?
thats a very good possibility.

Best price and most convenient happen sometimes, but youíre probably lucky when it does. Canít count the number of times Iíve done things that are less convenient (sometimes a little bit, sometimes a lot) because of a huge price difference. I donít use only price, most times, but thereís a threshold when it doesnít make sense to take the most convenient option because itís just too much.
Old Nov 26, 18, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you think the calendar is accurate for 2 stops but since i restricted to 1 stop, they simply don't show in the list when i click a particular date?
The calendar still won't be accurate, per se, but it will be closer. The calendar is ignoring your search restrictions. It's fairly common for there to be some scattered availability on days that the calendar lists as not having any. It's uncommon for there to be no availability on days where the calendar says there is some. It just may not be the availability you want.
Old Nov 26, 18, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
it's from today
How do I get this back? I have a much uglier calendar...

I guess my advice to you is not to reset your cookies.
coolbeans202, Kacee and GFrye like this.
Old Nov 27, 18, 3:53 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The award calendar has always returned errors. Though as noted you should sort by "business saver award" to be sure there's nothing being offered.

That will not necessarily work because the availability may differ for the married segments and/or .com may not offer the combined itinerary.
True on a married segment but I've generally had success getting a UA agent to book me an award reservation if I was able to correctly identify segments where I/X are available. When the pricing didn't come up correctly for them they'd work with the rates desk to ensure they were deducting the right number of miles. Maybe they were violating the rules but it's always worked for me. I don't think I've had married segment problems.
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Silver
Business as usual

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The calendar still won't be accurate, per se, but it will be closer. The calendar is ignoring your search restrictions.
+1 User error. Well technically UA's IT error but who can blame them? LOL

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
It's fairly common for there to be some scattered availability on days that the calendar lists as not having any. It's uncommon for there to be no availability on days where the calendar says there is some. It just may not be the availability you want.
This was always true on the old site. However I noticed they mostly fixed this glitch on the new. So sad that our secret "white" availability is gone. I still see some false positives (and IIRC some rare false negatives) but nothing on the scale of circa 2016!
Old Nov 27, 18, 8:17 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Note again that the Saver space (if it exists) may well be only on Avianca or Copa, and may require 2 stops. You can't look just at the UA EZE-IAH/EWR nonstops and conclude the tool isn't working.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: