FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Really annoying award availability glitch (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1942441-really-annoying-award-availability-glitch.html)

dpakman91 Nov 26, 2018 7:20 am

Really annoying award availability glitch

I'm searching for saver premium award travel from EZE to EWR or BDL in July, and the calendar view regularly shows dates as having saver award premium cabin availability, but then when I click on the dates, there actually isn't any saver available. Attaching a picture. Has anyone experienced this before?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cf62efb904.png

MatthewLAX Nov 26, 2018 7:23 am

How current is that screenshot? I thought United did away with that display months ago.

BlueZebra Nov 26, 2018 7:24 am

Have you looked at all the possible flight combos? This sometimes is limited to one particular flight of the many combos. It is not typically for every flight on that route.

dpakman91 Nov 26, 2018 7:28 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 30467357)
How current is that screenshot? I thought United did away with that display months ago.

it's from today

Originally Posted by BlueZebra (Post 30467362)
Have you looked at all the possible flight combos? This sometimes is limited to one particular flight of the many combos. It is not typically for every flight on that route.

not sure exactly what you mean, how would i do that?

amtrakusa Nov 26, 2018 7:40 am

Originally Posted by dpakman91 (Post 30467380)

why don't you start sorting by saver award amount first, instead of flight duration? it is like you are sorting by time, but you are really looking for cheapest price.

mahasamatman Nov 26, 2018 7:41 am

Are you restricting your search to 1-stop options?

The calendar is frequently wrong, and has been since time immemorial. Sometimes it shows a false positive, and sometimes it shows a false negative. It's pretty much useless as a tool for finding awards - you have to manually search each day.

mh3265a Nov 26, 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by dpakman91 (Post 30467380)

I've seen that type of error before. Easiest way to overcome the false reading it's getting is to search the EZE-EWR or EZE-IAH direct to see if I class is available. Then search EWR/IAH-BDL separately. Sometimes if the domestic flight has no X or I space you can get that false reading and vice versa. It's annoying but I've given up on UA's system being accurate. Also, have you scrolled down further. It might be coming up with a Copa flight in Business?

You're other option is to use the KVS tool or Expertflyer.com.

Kacee Nov 26, 2018 8:37 am

The award calendar has always returned errors. Though as noted you should sort by "business saver award" to be sure there's nothing being offered.

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 30467431)
I've seen that type of error before. Easiest way to overcome the false reading it's getting is to search the EZE-EWR or EZE-IAH direct to see if I class is available. Then search EWR/IAH-BDL separately.

That will not necessarily work because the availability may differ for the married segments and/or .com may not offer the combined itinerary.

dpakman91 Nov 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 30467424)
Are you restricting your search to 1-stop options?

The calendar is frequently wrong, and has been since time immemorial. Sometimes it shows a false positive, and sometimes it shows a false negative. It's pretty much useless as a tool for finding awards - you have to manually search each day.

yeah i was restricting to 1 stop since that's what i'm looking for, i do get more options when i do 2 stops. do you think the calendar is accurate for 2 stops but since i restricted to 1 stop, they simply don't show in the list when i click a particular date?

emcampbe Nov 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by dpakman91 (Post 30468571)
yeah i was restricting to 1 stop since that's what i'm looking for, i do get more options when i do 2 stops. do you think the calendar is accurate for 2 stops but since i restricted to 1 stop, they simply don't show in the list when i click a particular date?

thats a very good possibility.

Best price and most convenient happen sometimes, but you’re probably lucky when it does. Can’t count the number of times I’ve done things that are less convenient (sometimes a little bit, sometimes a lot) because of a huge price difference. I don’t use only price, most times, but there’s a threshold when it doesn’t make sense to take the most convenient option because it’s just too much.

jsloan Nov 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by dpakman91 (Post 30468571)
you think the calendar is accurate for 2 stops but since i restricted to 1 stop, they simply don't show in the list when i click a particular date?

The calendar still won't be accurate, per se, but it will be closer. The calendar is ignoring your search restrictions. It's fairly common for there to be some scattered availability on days that the calendar lists as not having any. It's uncommon for there to be no availability on days where the calendar says there is some. It just may not be the availability you want.

MatthewLAX Nov 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by dpakman91 (Post 30467375)
it's from today

How do I get this back? I have a much uglier calendar...

I guess my advice to you is not to reset your cookies.

mh3265a Nov 27, 2018 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30467605)
The award calendar has always returned errors. Though as noted you should sort by "business saver award" to be sure there's nothing being offered.

That will not necessarily work because the availability may differ for the married segments and/or .com may not offer the combined itinerary.

True on a married segment but I've generally had success getting a UA agent to book me an award reservation if I was able to correctly identify segments where I/X are available. When the pricing didn't come up correctly for them they'd work with the rates desk to ensure they were deducting the right number of miles. Maybe they were violating the rules but it's always worked for me. I don't think I've had married segment problems.

sexykitten7 Nov 27, 2018 7:00 am

Business as usual

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30468719)
The calendar still won't be accurate, per se, but it will be closer. The calendar is ignoring your search restrictions.

+1 User error. Well technically UA's IT error but who can blame them? LOL

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30468719)
It's fairly common for there to be some scattered availability on days that the calendar lists as not having any. It's uncommon for there to be no availability on days where the calendar says there is some. It just may not be the availability you want.

This was always true on the old site. However I noticed they mostly fixed this glitch on the new. So sad that our secret "white" availability is gone. I still see some false positives (and IIRC some rare false negatives) but nothing on the scale of circa 2016!

seenitall Nov 27, 2018 8:17 am

Note again that the Saver space (if it exists) may well be only on Avianca or Copa, and may require 2 stops. You can't look just at the UA EZE-IAH/EWR nonstops and conclude the tool isn't working.