Your UA hub rankings

Old Nov 26, 18, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fjfv19 View Post
...5. LAX - Old, dirty, but the UA Clubs are at least nice...
I'm guessing you haven't been to LAX in the last year(s)…

It's been completely remodeled and there is only one United Club. "Old and dirty" hardly matches reality.
windhund likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 26, 18 at 10:03 am
Old Nov 26, 18, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic, Delta Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I'm guessing you haven't been to LAX in the last year(s)...
I was there in January, April, and October of 2018.

ETA: The new UA club is nice. I also visited the Star Alliance lounge at TBIT, and it was also nice (admittedly not a UA club in fairness, so no need for the "s"). If they remodeled LAX, they didn't get a ton of value for the spend. It's my opinion, whether or not you perceive it as reality.

Last edited by fjfv19; Nov 26, 18 at 2:03 pm
Old Nov 26, 18, 11:05 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
We should really be asking posters if they have club access for domestic flights. I think that last one really turns things around. I don't, so I have limited interest in how nice UCs are, and a lot of interest in how nice food options, and especially bars are.

For all the OTG hate at EWR the real game changer for me is that they provide easy access to alcohol from almost any part of the terminal. Walking up and down a terminal looking for a bar I can find an empty seat in is not my favorite activity. But I see that if you have domestic UC access then that consideration changes entirely.
Old Nov 26, 18, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Of the 3 hubs I fly through, IAH, ORD, EWR, EWR is last on list my list because it's the last place I want to get stuck in.
Old Nov 26, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Billygreg View Post
7-EWR - Horrible security, confusing layout, no cabs or UBER, Airtrain, locations, weather. Nothing good here.
Cabs and Uber are widely available at EWR, though rideshare services are staged at a lot on the SE side of the airport, which is about a 6-8 minute drive to Terminal C without traffic. Accordingly, I generally call for a car after stepping off the jetbridge into the concourse at Terminal C. NB, the best move is to call the driver en route and ask them to pick you up on Level 2/3, which us usually much faster than the arrivals area (Level 1) due to the traffic lights and stopped/loading vehicles near the entry to the curbside.

EWR cabs, like most NJ cabs, are pretty unpleasant. Elizabeth (white) cabs service Terminal A, while Newark (yellow) are at Terminals B/C. Not nearly as standardized as NYC cabs.
wavid likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 1:07 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million M; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Cabs and Uber are widely available at EWR, though rideshare services are staged at a lot on the SE side of the airport, which is about a 6-8 minute drive to Terminal C without traffic. Accordingly, I generally call for a car after stepping off the jetbridge into the concourse at Terminal C. NB, the best move is to call the driver en route and ask them to pick you up on Level 2/3, which us usually much faster than the arrivals area (Level 1) due to the traffic lights and stopped/loading vehicles near the entry to the curbside.

EWR cabs, like most NJ cabs, are pretty unpleasant. Elizabeth (white) cabs service Terminal A, while Newark (yellow) are at Terminals B/C. Not nearly as standardized as NYC cabs.
All good guidance here
Old Nov 26, 18, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This feels very subjective, but for me:

(1) SFO - it's home so I rarely have to (mis)connect; ignoring the wx ops it's a compact, efficient airport with good food, nice gate areas, and runway views (also, it's home )
(2) DEN - only connect here when I've made a routing mistake, but it's a very fast and efficient airport
(3) LAX - the Star Alliance lounge is my favorite in the US, and has much better runway ops than SFO. A bit dingy in T7-T8 though and gate issues can bite you.
(4) IAH - not thrilled with my experiences here, but still has fairly good ops so it's a solid connection choice
(5) ORD - crowded and hot (in the summer) gate areas, ORD taught me the value of needing a lounge
(6) IAD - awful C/D trailer terminal and painfully far away from DC; thankfully I have the "curbside to my seat without stopping" routine down to a science
(7) EWR - all of the downsides of IAD without the predictable travel time from the city or the hoping you can find a DCA flight. Only redeeming feature is at least you're flying p.s.
Old Nov 26, 18, 1:39 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million M; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
Rating them in terms of ease of clearance through Customs/CBP, I nominate EWR as best followed by SFO, LAX, ORD, IAH, and, lagging far behind, IAD. No experience with DEN
Old Nov 26, 18, 2:52 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
My rankings:
1) DEN - straight forward terminal layout, moving walkways help with long walking distances
2) LAX - great UC, relatively small terminals make for quick connections
3) IAH - good terminal layout, easy connection if mainline to mainline, going to/from regional can be tricky
4) SFO - good food options, easy connection if domestic to domestic, long walk to get to the international terminal, prone to significant delays when visibility is reduced
5) ORD - crowded gate areas, crowded food courts, prone to delays when storms are present
6) EWR - crowded gate areas, crowded lounges (good luck getting in during peak times), train too small, delays are virtually guaranteed in the evenings

Haven't visited IAD.
Old Nov 26, 18, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
1 - DEN but I'm biased. Rarely use the lounges agree they are not great, but the views are some of the best out there. I still think Elway's is the best restaurant at any hub out there, and new restaurants going in, which I like. RJ gates are too far away and the surplus of Devil's Chariots drives me nuts of short flights. No comments on the GS staff there as I have never had to use them.
2 - LAX. I've always liked it for some reason. Plenty of good food food choices, and the new polaris lounge is great. also very strong GS staff.
3 - IAH - Mostly because I never seem to have delays through there. Usually have enough time at nights to go to Papadeaux's. The GS car always seems to pick me up on time and get me in a tight connection more than any other airport.
4 - SFO - I like the nostalgia and still having an airport where I can see 747's regularly and close up. Top marks to the GS staff there.

5. ORD - Good food, easy to get around, but its a tight fit moving at peak hours, not laid out well. Very good GS service and I like that Italian restaurant in the B Concourse.

6. EWR - the Red Jackets are killing me there. The amount of time I have been sent to a different concourse to enter when I have a reason to go to another is just baffling. I think the staff is about the rudest there is in the system. Not great food options in my opinion and I absolutely hate all the IPAD ordering stations, as I prefer to talk to a human when I order.

7. NRT - They are great on every level and I love the airport, I just hate that I am always getting on a 10+ hour flight when I am there. GS staff is amazing and I love the clean boarding process there.

8. GUM - Hey they try.

9. Anywhere else

10. IAD - Difficult to get around in. GS staff is okay. Most staff not helpful, and every connection is from the farthest possible point between C and D for me.
Old Nov 26, 18, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
My ranking would be like this:
DEN: + Open, bright, spacious, easy to find a good seat with a great view, good food options. - IRROPs especially on regionals with the slightest sign of rain or snow. So much for the claim of first "all weather airport".
SFO: + Decent food options, generally open and spacious. - Almost constant IRROPs for fog, rain, runway paving, you name it...
IAH: + Good food options. - Constantly dodging electric carts. What is it with IAH and all the electric carts? Long distances from regional to mainline on connections.
LAX: + New facilities are like a night/day change from the old. - I still can't find a decent place to eat here. Any ancillary facilities - like car rental - are still garbage dumps.
ORD: + Good food (Frontera alone makes it). - Regional operations seem to always be screwed up and are located far from mainline B/C concourses. Gate areas are too small and always overcrowded.
EWR: + It's not LGA. - "Newark Airport" is in 10% of all jokes. That says something. Most of the people working here and traveling through here seem pissed off.
IAD: + The "moving lounges" are a never ending sources of amusement. - The bus depot of airport concourses - dark, dank, cramped, crowded.

I dropped my United Club membership a few month ago due to consistent overcrowding and poor food, and in nearly 2 years of Polaris I have only been in a Polaris Lounge once, so I won't rank based on that criteria.
Old Nov 26, 18, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/*A Gold, UC, IC AMB
Originally Posted by QBK View Post
Ooh, this is fun.
My preferences turn out to be determined entirely by lounge availability.

Hubs I like:
0) Anything with a Polaris lounge if I'm lucky enough to have access.
1) IAH - Centurion lounge. Surprisingly classy terminals, except for B.
2) SFO - Centurion lounge. Easy to get around.
3) LAX - Star Alliance lounge in TBIT (and I like the walk). Terminal 8 is depressing.

Totally on the fence:
4) IAD - The entirety of C and D are borderline Greyhound bus station. However... LH and TK lounges!

Hubs I'd avoid if I could:
5) DEN - No full-service lounges. Boring.
6) ORD - How does an airport this size have no decent lounges that I can access? More wx cancellations than any other hub. Sadly, 80% of my connections are in ORD.
7) EWR - Poor customer service, and no full-service lounges unless I can sneak into B for the LH lounge.
My prefs break along a similar line, i.e., access to available clubs:

Preferred:
1) LAX - The UC is the best one I've seen in the states but if I have time, the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT is worth the walk. LAX should get even better once the Centurion lounge becomes an option.
2) SFO - I like the rotunda lounge and these past couple of months, it's been my go-to spot after getting some food at the Centurion lounge, which is great when not crowded... I assume. As for that UC near 60 - why?
3) IAD - It's my home base and I enjoy the TK and LH lounges, but yeah, the actual UC clubs leave a lot to be desired in terms of style and tarmac views. Now that they are ramping up east coast hub operations, hopefully UA will do some about IAD's United Clubs.

Nice:
4) DEN - Old but I like it because the clubs felt roomy and not over crowded when I've passed through. But not much else going on, IMHO. Looking forward to the Centurion lounge opening there.
5) ORD - I like the club near C16, but not much of a fan of the other clubs or that there are not other readily accessible Star Alliance lounges.

Bottom of list:
6) EWR - just not a fan of the club or the airport. I'll give it another shot later this week.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
6. EWR - the Red Jackets are killing me there. The amount of time I have been sent to a different concourse to enter when I have a reason to go to another is just baffling. I think the staff is about the rudest there is in the system. ...
If United has worse employees than the people who control shuttle access at EWR, Ive yet to run across them. Inexplicably rude while enforcing a borderline inexplicable policy, if its even a policy in the first place. Theres no way masses of people are taking shuttles around EWR just for the hell of it.
Old Nov 26, 18, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP 75K, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I preface this by saying that I don't have a club membership, so am only in the lounges sporadically.

DEN: Big, spacious, decent food. Something about this airport makes connecting here low-stress
SFO: I'm normally starting or ending here so I don't worry as much about the weather delays and making connections. Decent food.
LAX: Eh...but "eh" can be a good thing.
IAD: I know, but it's my home airport. Also, if you are here outside of the afternoon rush, the terminal is a ghost town.
IAH: I couldn't begin to describe the layout of this place, I've only been here a handful of times.
EWR: Delays delays delays delays delays...
ORD. Man I hate ORD. I just want some decent food and a place to sit down quickly to eat it.

I guess it's not really a hub anymore, but I love connecting at NRT. So. Freaking. Easy.
Old Nov 26, 18, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Those complaining about food at DEN haven't learned to hop over to concourse C for Root Down.
DENflyer3 likes this.

Search this Thread